What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Off the shelf retail store screw-in LED and CFL bulb comparisons

PCBuds

I dunno...

You can buy the stuff at the pet store.

There's no hazmat warning in the label.

I've put it in to capsules and fed it to my cat.

She's not dead but the worms she had are.

There's a big bit of common sense involved.

You don't stir up a cloud and breathe it in like a bong.

indagroove

Veteran
The concern with DE is inhaling it, not eating it. Hence no warning label on caplets. Inhaling DE is pretty much the last thing you want to do to your lungs. I'd rather huff paint thinner, than inhale DE.

nepalnt21

FRRRRRResh!
Veteran
The concern with DE is inhaling it, not eating it. Hence no warning label on caplets. Inhaling DE is pretty much the last thing you want to do to your lungs. I'd rather huff paint thinner, than inhale DE.
i've exposed my poor lungs to high amounts of food-grade d.e. over a period of months (like all over my bedroom cause i was frantically trying to destroy all bedbugs... it was stupid for a number of reasons), never experienced any lung problems and this was years ago; i'm guessing the very tiny amount you'd use in a grow op would be non problematic, granted you use common sense; i.e. don't let the dust create large plumes, and don't let it get on flowering plants... also find some purely amorphous silica
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/11876495/

and don't sue me... again, just guessing here based on a small amount of research and personal experience. i'm not a doctor.

indagroove

Veteran
i've exposed my poor lungs to high amounts of food-grade d.e. over a period of months (like all over my bedroom cause i was frantically trying to destroy all bedbugs... it was stupid for a number of reasons), never experienced any lung problems and this was years ago; i'm guessing the very tiny amount you'd use in a grow op would be non problematic, granted you use common sense; i.e. don't let the dust create large plumes, and don't let it get on flowering plants... also find some purely amorphous silica
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/11876495/

and don't sue me... again, just guessing here based on a small amount of research and personal experience. i'm not a doctor.

Yeah, and plenty of people smoke cigarettes for years and never develop lung cancer, but that's not any sort of evidence that smoking doesn't cause lung cancer (which I think in 2020 everyone knows it does).

El Tigre

Hi guys, let me share with you this video prepared for a grow competition on the Sweet Seeds sub forum. Plants have grown under 62 w of SILs :tiphat:
[youtubeif]Qu4H5RFfIrw[/youtubeif]

fuutang

Nice buds. Great job. Bloody Skunk (left), Cream Mandarine (right).
picture.php
https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=82359&pictureid=2046139

nepalnt21

FRRRRRResh!
Veteran
Yeah, and plenty of people smoke cigarettes for years and never develop lung cancer, but that's not any sort of evidence that smoking doesn't cause lung cancer (which I think in 2020 everyone knows it does).
hence "guess" and a link to a research article.

we do know crystalline silica is bad, but amorphous from what i've read so far seems to maybe not be so bad.

Im'One

Well i wear a mask when working with peat moss, lime, perlite and DE. Sometimes when mowing the yard due to the pollen. 100% of the time when i go to the store.
The Romulan grapefruit clones are much more stacked than the Bubba hash
The next run will be all Romulan grapefruit clones..so i will use DE in the soil for some and not for others and document the result.

Last edited:

Lightmeup209639

I had a huge post written but was logged out.
Pressing CTRL+A, and then CTRL+S saves all your TEXT to the CLIPBOARD, and will stay in the memory until you Copy something else. CTRL+V pastes your text. They are good Shortcuts to remember, but you will find them when you right-click while editing Text.
ying.gif

But did you know you can PIN a Text-file to the quick-links in your TASK-BAR (at the bottom of the screen. Go to DESKTOP, and right-click NEW, go down to Text-document, and Save-As (to your Desktop). Now drag the Text-file from your Desktop to the Taskbar, to automatically make the Shortcut. Hope this helps. It makes a very good temporary text editor, that can save text. Don't forget to enable TEXT WRAPPING (in Format) while your in the Text-file.
tumbleweed.gif

Lightmeup209639

You are too right about using smaller bulbs. I want more info. Now you've caught my attention, I want to get more info on this. I didn't realise the construction of LED bulbs had changed, to these funny looking square LED's I've seen in torches. I think they are known as CHIPS (rather than LED's), but the name might stick. In my opinion, you could make an array of 12 to 24 of these suckers, and they will be better than those large integral tube things, which are very delicate. Smaller bulbs are much stronger and better to sell in the post. But I really think we should be looking for purpose made grow lights here. I once tried to grow with a household Red CFL approx 55w. It just made the plant stretch. Old fashioned filament bulbs also just stretched my plants. So any info here is most appreciated. Where can you get hold of purpose made horticultural 55w to 100w CFL bulbs in this style? ((p.s. Sorry, I didn't mean to mess up this thread.))

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]blynx[/FONT] said, '[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] Here are the LED bulbs I bought.'.[/FONT]

picture.php

PCBuds

You are too right about using smaller bulbs. I want more info. Now you've caught my attention, I want to get more info on this.

I didn't realise the construction of LED bulbs had changed, to these funny looking square LED's I've seen in torches.

My old school Walmart bulbs are 10 Watts and 800 lumens.
The new bulbs are 12 Watts and 1,600 lumens.

My crappy old bulbs get hot as hell and I can't unscrew them without burning my fingers.

A physically larger base dissipates heat better.

It's not just the construction that has changed.
The LED chips are way more efficient and the circuitry driving them is better.

You're just going to have to get used to the square LED chips. That's just the way they are produced.

they will be better than those large integral tube things, which are very delicate.

The tubes are generally overpriced and underpowered.
Some plastic tubes we're melting and were recalled.
The glass tube ones can be dangerous.

But I really think we should be looking for purpose made grow lights here.

There are grow lights available that use only red and blue LEDs but they are generally expensive.

Blue and Red LED chips are 30X as expensive as white, simply because of mass production.

I personally don't believe that the other frequencies of light in white are going to waste.

Where can you get hold of purpose made horticultural 55w to 100w CFL bulbs in this style?

Even the horticultural industry is switching to LED.

They are way more cost-effective and perform great.

Don't get left behind. Buy LEDs.

Hookahhead

Im near the equator so I use the lights to break the night cycle (on from 11pm - 1 am). I’m slowly transitioning to LED flood lights (left side) for practicality. Still have some of the SILs (right side) putting in work though.

picture.php

picture.php

Latest posts

Latest posts