What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

New Study

Hope everyone enjoyed the holidays. Looking forward to a great year as it is now legal to grow in Oklahoma with a Medical Card.

I am trying out my first scrog. After researching I have positioned the trellis approximately 18" from level of the soil. When I ordered my beanz they threw in a couple of freebies. Turns out that one of them was an auto. The packaging wasn't marked stating that one of the seeds was an auto just that they were feminized. Anyway. I am going to veg the others until I harvest the auto. Good time to fill the trellis.

Just wondering what you all think of the Scrog method. Advantages and disadvantages for those of you that have scrogged.. Strains that you have scrogged, additional techniques you have deployed while scrogging. I have various strains going. Trying out some White Widow. It's one I have always wanted to study. Old School!

Happy New Year!

gardener60

Welcome to the club. Today was the first day that i Scrogged. I will put up some pics tomorrow. I do not think that i did a bad job but was clearly novice. This grow will be a learning grow. I did not invest a lot of money on my seeds. I got them free from a friend.
They were bag seeds and out of 7 seeds germinated i got one male and 6 females. The plants are budding under my half ass scrog. One good thing i did not break a single stem. You will not learn how to scrog until you do it. Next time i will do it earlier and with more confidence. They say you can get more buds because the stems will multiply by bending and scrogging. This is my two cents.

Yeah,

The girls are pretty malleable. I always lift the netting over the stretching branches as much as possible. Less stress on the plants. Lots of give and take with the net itself then the ability to bend the branches enough to how you want to place them. I am thinking about putting another net above the one I have but with smaller openings like 3"

Peace

gardener60

What I have been told and read. It is a good time to scrog these girls down. How many times have you topped them? Nine day flower looks good.

Last edited:
They are in a scrog now. I might get another net with 3" squares to really get the top performing colas isolated. They are about 6 inches above the scrog net now. I still have room to bend and tuck if I decide not to do another net. Either way they are looking great! I topped them only once. I have 6 plants in a 4x4 tent in 5 gal smart pots. From here out I am not going to plant that many and I am going to stick with maybe two strains instead of five. I've seen a grow where one plant filled out a 4x4 footprint. It's all about finding that one strain or two that you resonate with then make a mother and you have it for a very long time without having to pay for weed again. I just got my MMJ card. Fixing to head out to some dispensaries get a few nuggets and test then buy the seeds of the select few I choose. Takes out the guess work. You can only go off photos and other peoples opinions regarding strains so much. When you can actually try the product then is when you know rather a strain is worth investing time and money in. That's the beauty of dispensaries and it being legal for MMJ card holders. Fucking love it! I am also looking at trying LED lights. Check out the ES300 and the Nextcore light. Google those two and tell me which one you think is the best!

Peace

Looking good so far! what did you end up picking up at the dispensary?

Yo Gd,

Ended up getting some Agent Orange Excellent Sativa, Skywalker OG, Grape Dawg and Blueberry Headband and a Sour Diesel cartridge! When I broke up the Grape Dawg it had itty bitty fragments of seed membranes which turned me off. I know as a dispensary owner I would inspect my product a little more thoroughly. Anyway, overall good flower. Hundreds of dispensaries are popping up so hopefully the price comes down in the near future.I will try several more strains before I pull the trigger on getting some beanz. Depending on how well this Widow is I might just do another round with just widow focus on getting that strain dialed in as this would cover a lot of the white strains out there and there are many whom's parentages lead back to the Widow.

Peace

-Your most valued commodity is your time. Spend it wisely-

growdady

Sorry to hear about the Grape Dawg did you bother smoking it? Did the sour diesel cartridge get you lifted? Agent Orange sound like some killer smoke. Skywalker OG I have tried in the past was some good smoke as I recall. Never smoked Blueberry Headband. Once again looking good in your grow room. PEACE

Sorry to hear about the Grape Dawg did you bother smoking it? Did the sour diesel cartridge get you lifted? Agent Orange sound like some killer smoke. Skywalker OG I have tried in the past was some good smoke as I recall. Never smoked Blueberry Headband. Once again looking good in your grow room. PEACE

Well, I didn't throw it way lol... Haven't opened the cartridge yet but I have already tried it from a buddy and it is bomb!

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
I love scrog :) As long as I can reach all the corners of the screen from underneath, I'm golden. Something very relaxing and meditative about training morning and night.

The best part is the mini forest of cannabis flowers which form after flip. You get to watch and raise the light. :D Good choice! :D

Genetics for scrog? You're looking for strains which want to grow the same size flowers on all branches. Some are a giant spear with little side branches of popcorn fluff, others are branches and branches of similar sized flowers no matter where it is on the plant. Scrog a spear genetic and you'll get a fat flower in one corner of the screen and a screen full of popcorn. Urk.

Looking good, keep it up :D

I love scrog :) Something very relaxing and meditative about training morning and night.

I am right there with you brother! Fascinating plant! I often kick it with the ladies and serenade them sitting on a bar stool with my 6 string. Love it!

So what strains have you scrogged with excellent results?

Peace

SuperBadGrower

I used to scrog and had bad experience with it. I feel like I can achieve similar results with just training and topping. Being able to lift, move, rotate the pots is just too valuable. But that's just me. I've only had one grow without mites, mildew or both. I guess a scrog is nice if you're pest and mold free, and you have access to all the pots.

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
Yes, having access to everything is essential. I love scrog with hydro, no messing around trying to get pots watered. :) Always be sure you have enough height between your res/bucket top and the bottom of the screen. You need to be able to reach every corner of the screen.

Airflow is very important. You should have air flowing through your screen at all times. Stalled/slow air is where mold germinates. HEPA filtered air also significantly decreases mold issues. I've grown indoor for 15+ years and have never seen bud rot on my flowers. I've also grown with HEPA filtered air for all those 15+ years. ;) I saw PM on one plant once, in a poorly ventilated veg area I had running. Vowed not to let it happen again. :)

C-99 scrogs well, most hybrids you see with mostly even sized flowers do very well. I've seen scrogs with spear type genetics, but have never run any yet myself. When plant numbers no longer matter, the spear type genetics and SOG growing is going to be VERY popular. :D lol

Hey -Anyone- with good advice needed. In the video it is day 20. The lighting is under HPS but I think you can differentiate the color of the leaves. It seems they are lacking Nitrogen as they look pale greenish to light yellowish but it is day 20 don't wanna be loading the girls up with Nitro.. Everything is organic watering with Ph 6.3 6.5sh The two white widows sho no paleness and look nice and green but the other strains seem to be fair skinned. Could it just be a strain thing. I feed using Earth Juice, Liquid Seaweed touch of molasses every other feed sometimes I just use plain phd water nothing added and then every other week top dress with botanicare Pure Bloom about 2 Tbs per 5 gal pot. They are in 5 gal smart pots. I use the pick up method as well as look for signs of droop for watering cues. I usually water in about 2 quarts or 1/2 gal each watering. Seems like not enough but when I water them even with this amount all the leaves droop like signs of overwatering and then in a day they are reaching for the lamp. Is this normal? Stressing them out? Or am I just tripping? Your thoughts?

Thank you

Please watch https://youtu.be/KY8LnWts0Mk