What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

125x 800 Lumen LED bulbs vs. 100,000 Lumen LED light

St. Phatty

I have been starting seedlings using a mix of "Warm" and "Cool" LED lights.

The LED's are brand new. I noticed that the old LED screw-ins were a lot less bright than the new ones. So I swapped in all new ones.

The new ones are 2700 K and 5000 K.

I know the quality LED's like the Majestic use arrays of a whole bunch of LED's, optimized for PAR etc.

How close does light from GE - or Walmart - screw in LED's, compare to lights like the Majestic - if the Lumens are the same ?

I can get other color temperatures. The bulbs I'm using are about 9 watts, 800 lumens, and those 2 color temperatures.

Since I have to buy one clamp light thing for each screw in bulb, and those cost about $7 each ... well I could see having a small array of 3x4, but it would get ridiculous doing that for 125 bulbs.

Basically just wondering if, if you choose the color temperatures wisely, if a person can come close in Light Quality to the Majestic's and other significant LED lights I hear people talking about.

Andyo

Veteran
You dont need clamp fittings
just buy flush Fittings and make an alluminium frame to screw them too.
I am using philips 13w 1400 lumens 3k and 6.5 k colors spaced in 6 inch squares.
I also made 45 deg reflectors for them out of the boxes the led came in covered with alluminium scotch tape as i noticed to much light goes directly sideways once the bulb bit removed.A

St. Phatty

You dont need clamp fittings
just buy flush Fittings and make an alluminium frame to screw them too.
I am using philips 13w 1400 lumens 3k and 6.5 k colors spaced in 6 inch squares.
I also made 45 deg reflectors for them out of the boxes the led came in covered with alluminium scotch tape as i noticed to much light goes directly sideways once the bulb bit removed.A

I was thinking about looking for that kind of fitting at the electrical supply, Thanks !! Now I know what it's called.

Yeah, I save the anti-static shipping paper that's used as padding for some kinds of shipping. One side is mirrored & reflective. Not a perfect mirror but heck it's free.

I guess wiring up a 'COB' chip, the 1/2 inch square bare LED, is the other option I hear people doing.

Seems like in general computer power supplies would come in real handy for people trying to drive LED's.

I tried going the COB route but I had problems with the - you guessed it - computer power supply ! :biggrin:

So backing up I could see buying some 115 VAC light bulb base type sockets. While I refine my COB soldering skills. :huggg:

For once the light bulb icon seems appropriate !

Just trying to recreate day-light indoors using cheap Walmart 9 watt LED's.

Klompen

Lumens are not a good measurement standard for plant spectrum. Generally the lumen output does give you a good idea how intense they are, but not all lights with the same lumen rating will provide you with the same PAR values. It is worthwhile to find a spectral graph for the light if you can.