What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Off the shelf retail store screw-in LED and CFL bulb comparisons

Drop That Sound

1710282944250.png

1760 watts for $80.

45 day money back, and a 12 month warranty, lol.

Ca++

It is cheap, but I suggest a little caution. My first build was 100lm/w like these, and it just showed me I should buy better.

The lamps in this thread have reached double this efficiency now. As have most branded grow lights. So comparatively, these use double the electric, to make the same amount of light. Beside a 301 based lamp, this set of 8, would use an extra unit per hour. Units are not cheap. In the UK, maybe 35p. £4 in 12 hours, making heat. £30 a week. £120 per month. Per 9 week bloom, these might use £250 they didn't need to. This is real money over a 5 year expectancy. £7500 spent on heating you probably don't want.

PCBuds

350W... I hope you're yielding more than 500g dry from those watts. I use 200w~ for 300 - 400g dry.

I didn't bother weighing my last plant.
It did fill two 1 gallon jars though.
I lost interest in keeping track of all the numbers (PH, TDS, Lumens, Watts, tsp, grams, And Especially RH)

This is the power I was using for that plant,..

Screenshot_20240329-222649_DuckDuckGo.jpg

The plant before that was over a pound, but I think that I was using closer to 450 Watts for that plant?

These are the specs. for my LED strips,..

Screenshot_20240329-222812_DuckDuckGo.jpg

PCBuds

The plant before that was over a pound, but I think that I was using closer to 450 Watts for that plant?

Here it is,..

Drop That Sound

I think I figured out how to make cheap copper edge cooled SIL pcb water blocks. Found these 1-1/2 copper test caps with inside diameter that accepts 1-5/8" OD pipe. $2 a piece. (y)

Guess what diameter the circular PCB chips in most of my SILs are? Yep, you guessed it, they are exactly 1-5/8"!

I may have to spin the PCBs around the grinder wheel and shave off a hair, but they should slide right into the test caps. The test caps have the wall going around, which I think will make it easay to bend some soft 3/8 copper HVAC tubing around, and get a braze joint on both the top and bottom, and get almost or maybe the full 360 degrees of piping going around the LEDS, for the best transfer of heat away from the components.. I think the wall going around the cap (which will be upside down) will help hold even more heat, like an upside down bowl.
1711799878371.png

With about 6-7 inches of the copper tubing wrapped\soldered around, it should cost less than $3.50 in materials for each block, including the copper brazing rod.

Something like this:
1711800372518.png

Last edited:

Drop That Sound

I still like the rigid dual tube flat bar water cooled rails that look like a ladder idea, but.. I'm currently working on a 24 bulb SIL fixture that already has a fixed frame with sockets, so yeah.. I need single individual water blocks to finish this project up first, before I start workin on those edge cooled ladder rails for my next 2 lights.