What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

1:100,000 I DID IT- Mutation Wat

whiteberrieS

Ignominious and Pale
Veteran
picture.php

sorta how the trifoliate's nodes are; on one side it's leaf is by itself and the other side has two leaves and is lower. Got a trifoliate that popped up in my SB cross that's the same way.

Hanging on to the tri-cut cuz of my SB triplet, if she's a she, gotta cross the triplets. :biggrin:

& I just got off wikipedia...........still dont exactly get what a haploid is, is it when the progeny only have the gene set from one parent? "half the genes of normal" doubled haploid being 100% genes from one parent?

Tonygreen

ICMag Donor
Veteran
yessir! If you read up they can spontaneously occur in twins.

Even rarer is when a haploid spontaneously doubles its chromosome count to become "normal" again and becomes a double haploid.

Haploids can be sterile, sometimes requiring a treatment to get them to double up. Various methods can be used.

whiteberrieS

Ignominious and Pale
Veteran
bah my SB trifoliate reverted, that's 2 now, had a strawberry triple-cotyledon on me too...

what I thought was two branches on the one side was a 6 finger leaf :/

Still gonna check out the trifol cut on somebody cuz he's armstrong, pith-filled and stacks like a staircase...

picture.php

at the very least I think his offspring should have a willingness to branch :biggrin:

Interesting, spontaneous doubled-haploidy should be very rare, so I'm watching to see how this turns out.

Tony do you have any plans to try to confirm whether you have a haploid/DH? If you could self them that might be a good test of fixation, assuming you are able to grow a bunch of them together for comparison. Flow cytometry would indicate whether you have a haploid but wouldn't be able to distinguish a DH from a normal diploid.

I'm not sure how you might get a seed population which is 75% male but fixed... the mechanism which springs to mind would be a fixed inbred line fertilized by its (brother/cousin) fixed inbred supermale F1. I don't see the benefit in this when you could just generate two fixed inbred lines with good combining ability and produce true F1 hybrid seed which would be completely uniform (and could be feminised to boot) without any additional effort.

Tonygreen

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Well the first test is gong to be if they are fertile or in fertile. Progeny tests if possible will end up giving a good look see. Thats the only tool I can really so we will see! Clones should be popping roots soon. Still no sex showing, my other bx males showed by now so well see if what they are. really

Tonygreen

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Apomixis in plants

Apomixis in plants

3. Parthenogenesis
A. Haploid formation
Parthenogenetic development of egg cells takes
place occasionally in sexual plants, whereas in
plants with regular gametophytic apomixis, it is a
necessity. The latent tendency towards parthenogenesis
in sexual plants is explicitly displayed by
the production of haploids in a multitude of plant
species. Reviews in this field have been written
by, e.g., KIMBER and RILEY (1963) and-concerning
maize-by CHASE (1969). The parthenogenetic
development of a reduced gamete from a diploid
plant by definition gives rise to a monoploid
(LANGLET 1927) or simply a haploid, whereas a
polyploid plant under the same conditions gives
rise to a polyhaploid (KATAYAMA 1934).
Haploids arise by spontaneous parthenogenesis,
but their formation is promoted by various cir-cumstances. They are known to occur at increased
frequency among twin plants, resulting from polyembryonic
seeds. In this case, the haploid embryos
may develop from synergids. Special types
of pollination can induce parthenogenesis: wide
crosses, delayed pollination, use of pollen treated
with X-rays, ultraviolet light, or toluidine blue
(KIMBER and RILEY 1963). Haploids have also been
obtained after treatments designed to give polyploids,
viz. colchicine treatment and temperature
shocks (Table 5). It is usually not possible here to
decide if the egg cell or some other cell in the
embryo-sac has given rise to the embryo.
Studies of meiotic chromosome behaviour in
haploids have revealed pairing affinities not observed
in the “diploid” plants, and, thus, contributed
to our cytogenetic knowledge of certain
groups. By doubling the chromosome number of
monohaploids, completely hornozygous (“autodiploid”)
lines for breeding and experimental purposes
are obtained.

from

Gametophytic apomixis: elements and genetic regulation
SVEN ASKER

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1601-5223.1980.tb01367.x/pdf

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
420giveaway
Far easier to store pollen and use it with diff girls than to store a female and multi cross her. So I guess congrats man.

Tonygreen

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Maybe not this one but its only a matter of time till i get some ;) Haploids are not so hard to make that next step is slightly tricky!

These two are herms, hairs and balls, made selfing easy. Not going to use the progeny for anything but testing to see for fertility/sterility.

Obsidian

Veteran
is it still alive? in the 40yrs of breeding and growing I've seen this over 100x, most die the rest survive, they are nothing special. weird thing is one side will be stretchy the other compact growth, happens every time, hope it lives.

Tonygreen

ICMag Donor
Veteran
they grew the same once i trained em both to get the same light, the cuts grew identical, balls with hairy tops :D