What's new

dying of renal failure~ can cannabis help?

lumberjack.mr

greetins ; my name is mike ( lumberjack.mr) and im a terminal renal failure patient in the communist state of Texas! I am a full time nursing student , award winning psychology student, father of 5 , and subject to over 20+ pills a day and 10 hours a day of dialysis. Guess I don't fit the unmotivated-lazy- and stupid stereo type associated with cannabis use. $78,000.+ in medical expenses, over 30 surgical procedures, and a continuous battle lasting over 9 years has left me at a point where I often wish it would all just end ! How on earth am I supposed to pay the extortion prices of medicine, or purchase the equipment to establish my own source ? I would love dearly to relocate to an state wherein MMJ is legal , but due to the extensive medical treatment I require and my education, I cant..
Im 50 years old and have endured a life of pain and abuse/ oppression ! Where is my freedom??? Where is the compassion I have shown others ny entire life ? Waiting in the Grave !

Cannabis isn't going to cure you, but it might help you feel better.

I have a small tent with a 250 watt light that changes from MH to HPS, so it's both lights in one. Couple hundred bucks for the whole deal, but you could do it even cheaper with a home made tent and some CFLs or T5s.

Look into feminized or autoflowering seeds, keep it simple with a pre-mixed potting soil, many like Ocean Forest but it's spendy and unnecessarily so in my opinion. Just grab an organic potting soil and a couple 3 gallon pots. Start maybe just one or two plants, keep them low by topping, and enjoy your secret little jungle paradise. I'm growing a landrace African sativa in my little 250w tent right now, so you can grow anything too.

I find indicas are great for sleep (smoked on a little Querkle last night, very relaxing) as well as for pain. The bonus is that they stay short and are easy to grow. Sativas are enjoyable and really help me too, but are a little more demanding to grow, which is why most are hybrids nowadays.
The seed bank I use is easy to order from and takes credit cards online. They aren't affiliated with this site though, so I won't advertise them. It's a pretty popular site though, always puts me in a good "attitude".

Now I've said all that without regard for your local laws, those are your concern alone. Just understand that a small closet grow of a plant or two can not only supply a fun hobby and enough smoke/edibles for one person, but it can also be done very quietly. Nobody knows about the dirty magazine you have stashed back there, why would they know about this?

I did Nursing school in Texas also, had a pretty good time. Had a patient in the ICU extubate himself and then told me to get fucked. That was interesting and one of the more entertaining nursing notes I've charted haha. Didn't like pediatrics at all, just too much sadness and rage...like feed your kid, holy shit! Ok, enough of those memories! I'm going to school now for business, well I will be in a few weeks when school starts. I am so ready!

I'm also terminal with some blah blah blah that costs a whole lot of money and makes me feel like a drain and often hopeless for my future and all that, but that's no fun so let's talk about plants! So what are you going to grow?

Mike my wife was in your boat for over 13 years she was dying with not much time left on the clock I would say a few months. My wife asked people she knew to get tested to see if they would be a compatible kidney donor my sister was an O.K. match but not a good match so she entered a program which allows friends and relatives Canada wide to basically trade kidneys if they find a workable exchange amongst themselves. My wifes dr's found a good match and now my wife is free from the machine and living a near normal life. Don't give up ask your family to be tested to see if they would be a potential donor. Best of Luck

Good Day Beautiful People... Forgive me for being Blunt But With All Do Respect GOATSTROKER YOU KNOW NOT SSHHHYYTTT LIL FELLA... Why Would You Even Bother With A Response, When Knowingly Knowing There Was A Chance You Could Have Been Tooking Serious smh Just Inconsiderately Ignorant But To Answer Your Question Cannabis Surely Will Aid In Curing You, tho I Must Mention It Would Need To Be A PURE SATIVA, No Hybrids, No Ruderalis, No Back Crosses, No Chemical Fert.. You're Going To Want It To Have Come From The Amazon Or One Of Our Natural Rain Forest.. But Truth Be Told.. STOP WITH THE MEDICINES THEY ARE NOT DESIGNED TO CURE YOU.. WHEN YOU ARE READY, YOU WILL NEED TO FLUSH YOUR SYSTEM OF ALL MUCUS, ACID FORMING FOODS, AND BELIEVE IN AN ALKALINE BODY.. TO DO THIS YOU WILL NEED TO WATER FAST FOR AT LEAST 50 DAYS (A day of pure ALKALINE water for every year) but do try to shoot for 90. AS YOU ARE FASTING YOU MAY CONSUME A NUMBER OF HERBS SUCH AS BLADDERWRACK, RED CLOVER, YELLOW DOCK, BURDOCK ROOT, DANDELION, MILK THISTLE AND SARSPARILLA. YOU MAY PURCHASE THESE IN TABLET FORM IF YOU WISH BUT DO YOUR RESEARCH ON THE BRAND BEFORE HAND AND LIKE CANNABIS YOU TO CAN GROW THESE YOURSELF... THE SECRET IN ALL OF THIS IS CLEANSING YOUR BLOOD, LIVER, PROSTATE, LUNGS, BRAIN, COLON, PANCREATIC DUCT AND REPLENISHING THE BODY WITH ONLY WHAT IT NEEDS TO CARE FOR ITSELF.. DISEASE CAN ONLY LIVE IN ACIDIC ENVIRONMENT.. AND AS THAT FINE TEXAN YOU ARE, IM WILLING TO BET MY LAST BREATH, THAT THE DIET OF MAJORITY OF YOUR LIFE IF NOT ALL HAS CONSISTED OF BLOOD, FLESH AND YEAST..

I found your comment both rude and disrespectful.

Have a nice day

lumberjack.mr

thank you for your response, unfortunately the disease I have is ambiguous in nature and has a recitivism rate that disqualifies me for a transplant as a cure.. FSGS - Focal Segmental Glomular Sclerosis almost always destroys the transplant organ at an excellerated rate...

lumberjack.mr

thank you for your response; I will research more and pursue whatever avenues become available ... I do appreciate your input and recommendations.

therevverend

Veteran
Try peritoneal dialysis if it is available in Texas. You will feel much better. Only 10 percent of dialysis patients do it. It's a lot of work but you are able to eat more normal diet and have a lot more energy.
I know most kidney centers don't like cannabis smoking. You will be fast tracked to the bottom of the donor list if they know you smoke. Their theory is that you are more likely to reject the kidney because cannabis raises the blood pressure of your tiny blood vessels that filter your blood in the transplanted kidneys. The same thing that makes the tiny blood vessels in your eyes explode causing red eye from smoking. Thus they think you are more likely to reject the kidney which hurts their percentage of successful transplants which cuts the funding money they get. I also theorize that they believe cannabis smokers are more likely to engage in risky behavior and forget to take their kidney rejection medication.
I would like to see some actual data one way or the other. A big part of surviving a disease is quality of life. If you enjoy living and smoking cannabis helps that I believe your transplant is far more likely to be successful. I would not recommend smoking tough the minute you get home from your transplant surgery.

therevverend

Veteran
Ah shitty didn't see that you can't take transplants. That's rough but after a few years you reject the kidney and have to start all over. I've found the survival rate is better with transplants but only marginally so. You should be able to get by on dialysis for many more years.
The rough part as you know is the kidneys regulate so much more than just your piss. They regulate calcium in your bones and your blood pressure among other things. If smoking helps you enjoy life grow your own! It will reduce your financial pressure. I would find a medical state with a good kidney program. You will get a license to grow in a state like California or Washington. If you don't mind the rain Washington is the birthplace of kidney dialysis. The cool weather will be good for your kidneys and they offer a lot of financial help. Besides cannabis being legal.

lumberjack.mr

Thank you so much for your time and advice. I would love to relocate but due to the amount of medical attention I require I am stuck here.. aside from that if I sold our home the courts would take the $ to apply to the over $800,000. in unpaid medical bills. I am on peritoneal dialysis now , although Im on my fifth catheter and the scaring from over 30 surgical procedures over the past 9 years isn't going to allow my continued use of this modality. I am scheduled to begin the fistula implantation process this month, although im told it is a three part process and will require healing time between each step.
second that is my wife's education in nursing is still underway , as well as my own... Im stuck ! I have family in Washington and Hawaii , and if I ever am able I intend to move Back to Hawaii to be in the place I was happiest ,for my death. I am grateful for your response and greatly appreciate your compassion for others. Thank you., Mike

bombadil.360

Andinismo Hierbatero
Veteran
Hello Mike,

Have you tried Cannabis before? if so, how have you tried it? smoked it? vaped? in baked goods?

have you benefited from the effects? it probably won't bring your body its health back, but it will surely help you in many other aspects, like helping you be more comfortable and able to deal with your body's situation.

if you have not tried Cannabis before, the best way to medicate is by smoking or vaping; easier to control doses and the effect is different than eating as it enters your blood stream through the lungs as opposed through the liver when eaten. When you first start smoking, start slowly, one hit every 15-20 minutes, see how high it is where you want to be; don't over do it as for beginners it may get too trippy; but slowly you'll learn how to deal with the trip and you'll be able to medicate as deep as you want to go.

imo, you should get a good hook-up, fuck what the law says, this is your life, nor theirs, and seeking cannabis to at least help alleviate your condition is not wrong and whomever says otherwise should be jailed.

stay strong man, don't loose the faith.

much peace and good health!

lumberjack.mr

avid believer for over 35 years... Unable to pay the extortion prices of medicine I am able to locate.. disability only pays me 780. a month for my wife and kids and I to live on.. I would love to relocate but my wife has begun nursing school so she can support our children when Im gone.. Every month my medical expenses exceed $78,000 if I have no complications or hospital time...
It appears the best thing I could do for the welfare of my wife and children is die, at least then they would have some enjoyment of life without the shadow of a dying husband/father.

bombadil.360

Andinismo Hierbatero
Veteran
Mike, don't rush it man, we are all gonna die, some sooner than others, but we'll all be dead nonetheless.

but right now, you are still alive and clear-headed, and you can still pass on certain things to your children, and if cannabis helps you relax and to enjoy the moments with your family, you should be able to get it.

these are the times when you know money does help a lot, wish I had it to help others, but I'm barely making it to the end of the month without any luxuries or excesses.

I have faith in that someone from ic will shine through pretty soon though; and bam! you'll get a nice gift in the mail.

Mike I forgot to say my wife started to use cannabis when she was on hemo dialysis and it worked extremely well for all side effects and symptoms like restless legs, insomnia, appetite and just about anything you can think of I often thought everybody in the unit should have been on it.

therevverend

Veteran
Glad you were able to do peritoneal it's only a matter of time before your body burns out on it. At least you were able to make it work for as long as you have.
I've been doing peritoneal for almost two years now have an infection in my exit site. One of the kinds of bacteria is nasty been taking antibiotics for three weeks with all the usual side effects and headaches as well and it's not going away. I think I'm going to need to switch to hemo for a while so the infection can heal. Then I can go back to peritoneal. Not looking forward to the operations and recuperating afterwards.
We both know how much your quality of life is on you. For me the moment when I accepted it and relaxed about the whole thing was when they explained the two options. Either continue treatment or die. It sounds strange but I felt like those choices gave me freedom because every day I live is bonus. If we lived 40 years ago we would be dead. So every day you are with your family and friends is a gift for them and you. And it 's worth struggling for. If you give up and die the fight for you will be over but the fight for them will be just beginning. They will have to go on without the most important person in their lives.
If it was just you I'd say plug in and grow. In the chance you get nailed you can raise hell and say you had to have your meds. But with your family to think of you need to weigh the risk to them. Make sure their safety isn't compromised.
You aren't the only one who is fighting for your life. Lots of other people are out there with the same disease and problems as you.
The amount of money they allocate for you to pay your bills is shamefully small. Every day it seems like everything costs more and more but disability checks are the one thing that never inflates along with the cost of living. It makes it hard but if you've made it this far you're a survivor.

lumberjack.mr

several of the people at the center have asked me often if I were able to locate anything ....
I have spent many hours in that place, hooked to the machine ,with me head under the covers crying, wishing I were medicated! I am in the process of being prepared for that modality again only this time I will do it myself in my home. Im really not looking forward to the operations or the hemo , But at least my girls will have a father till they get out of school- hopefully...My peritoneum is extremely scared from all of the previous operations and trauma.. The Times I have been on hemo , it was with a Tessio ,and I had poor success. After many infections and hospitalizations , I was diagnosed with MRSA. It was discovered in early stage due to the infection occurring in the hospital!, The hos[ital. Doctors teamed up and were able to defeat the MRSA , but my immune system was permanently weakened.. It was a long and painful time for me in center... I hope home hemo is far more friendly to me ... As for the advice to consider the safety of my family; first always ; enough said. Thank you for the words of encouragement from all whom have responded. I have had an uplift in my day as a result..

therevverend

Veteran
It turns out the infection to my catheter site is an acid fast bacteria. Which means it takes 6 months of antibiotics to kill it. It's been over a month and there's still smud oozing out of my site. The catheter will have to be removed I'll be on hemo for a while than I'll have to get a new one put in. Dialysis sucks.

wolfhoundaddy

Veteran
I feel your pain

I feel your pain

My brother has had 3 kidney transplants and a milliion other things. He is my hero and everyday he is with us is a blessing.
Good luck with your troubles.

by the way he is 62 and his first surgery was in 1969.

lumberjack.mr

Thank you for your concern.. I am well acquainted with the discomforts of exit site infections; and some hellacious scarring to prove it ! I am scheduled fro the first stage of the fistula implantation process next Tuesday morning.. I am not looking forward t obeing cut on again but am told that the scarring in my peritoneum has become to extensive to allow for the continued use of PD .. Hopefully Home-Hemo will be more favorable to me than in center was.. Again, Thank you.