What's new

"CO2 'significantly reduces' nutrients in major food crops"

maryjaneismyfre

Veteran
I think we should be asking is why 2 billion people can only afford or raise grains and legumes as their iron, zinc and protein source and what we can do to change that.

"We found that close to 2bn people are getting at least 70% of their iron and zinc from these grains and legumes. So reductions in those crops are potentially quite worrisome in terms of increasing those deficiencies," said Dr Myers.
Eating more food to make up for these reductions in nutrients would not be a good solution, he said.
"The problem with that is that if you eat 5-10% more calories every day it would be a matter of months before we were morbidly obese and bumping into issues around metabolic diseases."

This smacks of an agenda.. The 2 billion people that are suffering from malnutrition are far from obese and would probably do well from a few extra calories, which they could easily burn by being more productive than their current diet allows. The study authors make broad opinionated conclusions when they should just state facts, and more of them..maybe no agenda, but not good science and definitely looking for attention.

"The impact of carbon on nutrient levels is another blow to global food production. According to the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC), crop yields are also set to suffer as a result of rising temperatures."
Same story with the above, rising temperatures may affect crop yield negatively, but not when CO2 levels are increased proportionately. We of all people know this from first hand experience but the scientists do not explore it.. Why? They just look at one future factor on its on and not in conjunction with another that is obvious and then make broad conclusions which change global policy. Dangerous. I wonder how this relates to the 'carbon tax' BS?

Last edited:

JointOperation

id like to see this done in an indoor controlled environments.. and see if its true for foods we eat.. because i know i can tell the difference between hydro and organic fruits and veges.

maryjaneismyfre

Veteran
Lost, you lost me. Too much of what you're saying are tropes people who've bit too hard into ideology say. I'm glad to start from a central point and discuss science and facts but when you're starting from a place where you're suggeating third world crop choice is purposely unnutritious because the powers that be control them, or you're misunderstanding the central role of CO2 in processing all other plant functions, we're going to be having inherently different talks.

Same to you maryjane. There's a huge list of researchers on that article and it's quite a convenient dismissal to say they all just have an agenda or that it's all bs politics. Stop looking for confirmation of your own beliefs and look at the actual data and research.

Refute this study on the basis of its content, not because of your ideology. One love to both of you, and perhaps we can bridge the gap here.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19778369?dopt=Abstract&holding=npg

If you read the references listed by the study you will find nuggets such as these. Which states an increase of biomass and fruit greater (11.8 and 10.4) than the loss of protein (7.4). This means there will still be a net increase in yield and protein per acreage under cultivation which in my opinion is good. It is the scientists opinions that this is bad, not fact. They base their opinion on the fact that the proportion of protein is lower and then equate that with nutrition when they are not the same thing. If the grain is of lower quality, feed it to cattle or chickens, or just grow better or more suitable crops. Either way problem solved. I still fail to see how global nutrition is "threatened". Maybe "we foresee a change in food/crop planting trends" or "we foresee future crop yields and quality being affected positive and negatively" would have been better but no..

foomar

Luddite
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Digging into this article it looks to me that the BBC have overstated certain aspects and taken quotes out of context , the science appears to be solid but hardly justifies the hysterical headline.

This document referenced in the article is of much more interest

Climate Change 2014: Impacts, Adaptation, and Vulnerability
SUMMARY FOR POLICYMAKERS

http://ipcc-wg2.gov/AR5/images/uploads/IPCC_WG2AR5_SPM_Approved.pdf

We could pick this one apart for weeks.