What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

A MICROPROPAGATION SYSTEM FOR CLONING OF HEMP BY SHOOT TIP CULTURE

Storm Shadow

Veteran
http://www.pakbs.org/pjbot/PDFs/41(2)/PJB41(2)603.pdf

Abstract
This study describes the standardization of an efficient in vitro propagation and hardening
procedure for obtaining plantlets from shoot tips of Hemp (Cannabis sativa L.). Hemp seedlings
were germinated on half-strength 1/2 MS medium supplemented with 10 g·L-1sucrose, 5.5 g·L-1agar
at a pH of 6.8 under light for 16 h per day. MS medium containing 0.2 mg·L-1TDZ, 0.1 mg·L-1NAA
supported the maximal auxiliary bud multiplication rate of 3.22 per shoot tip. The proliferated buds
were successfully rooted on MS medium supplemented with 0.1 mg·L-1IBA and 0.05 mg·L-1NAA
resulting in 85% of the plantlets rooting. The procedure requires a 54 days cycle for the In vitro

clonal propagation (14 days for shoot multiplication and 40 days for root induction) which includes
35-42 days for acclimatized plantlet production.

trichrider

Kiss My Ring
Veteran
cool...takes too long imo. standard cloning technique+/-/=10 days.
would be lovely had i a 100 lighter.

oh, and it really messes with my organic regimen.

Last edited:

ChanceyGardener

cool...takes too long imo. standard cloning technique+/-/=10 days.
would be lovely had i a 100 lighter.

oh, and it really messes with my organic regimen.
Seriously? Well, if you can pull a few hundred clones off a plant the day you are going to harvest it with standard cloning, like you could with micropropagation, I'm sure the world would love to hear about it. And using a few milligrams of naturally occurring plant hormones to start them is going to mess with your organic regimen? I assume you only eat food you've grown yourself using only chemical free fertilizer you squeezed out yourself. (lol)

purple_man

Veteran
high bro!

check the msds sheet before ingesting it...

blessss

ps.: the micropropagation route ain't intended for a couple of hundreds of plants but rather for a couple of hundreds of thousands or millions -> not really practical for most canna growers (unless utilized for backup n long term storage of elite mothers and fathers)

xxxstr8edgexxx

Veteran
ill have to disagree somewhat. its an extremely useful technique for a md to large size commercial grow.
especially for people who fuck with seeds.
its not that much harder than raising a bunch of moms you arent using. if you ever pheno hunted through more than a dozen seeds youll catch my drift. it shrinks everything down to a manageable size for stock.
even if just for a 3-4 months while you decide which of the 45 seed plants you want to keep. you have to keep one alive untill a clone taks and then keep it. its doable but so is building or obtaining a small flow hood and a small enclosed shelf for petris stacked.i the same space a couple clone trays wold fit you could have literally hundred times that of micro clones. within a month or two you could have multiplied to thousands.

also cleanliness. most bugs and diseases are not able to survive the process and depending on technique it can hold true for viruses too. cuts the risk of new cuttings way down. not by 100% because some diseases can still carry over but alot cant.
the effort of microcloning new genetics is so much less work than cleaning up a bm or root aphid infestation but if you are running less than a dozen lights it likely just best to stick to getting good cuts on rare occasions from trusted sources and qarantining them. but if you just raised 250 seeds and you want tto wait to pick moms or studs tilyou know something and then grow 1200 cuttings when you do, micro clonning is awesome,
high bro!

check the msds sheet before ingesting it...

blessss

ps.: the micropropagation route ain't intended for a couple of hundreds of plants but rather for a couple of hundreds of thousands or millions -> not really practical for most canna growers (unless utilized for backup n long term storage of elite mothers and fathers)

shaggyballs

Veteran
It is not for use on food crops.....right!

So if I use TDZ for mico propagation, I cant smoke it?????

That sounds counterproductive.....No?

Maybe I am not comprehending this correctly?

Anyone feel like schooling me on this?

xxxstr8edgexxx

Veteran
micropropigation is used on food crops namely blueberries. i seem to recall that exceptions were made for fda regs on microcloning chems, being that it is tiny insignifigant ammonts because of the size of the explant material.

AZClones

It is not for use on food crops.....right!

So if I use TDZ for mico propagation, I cant smoke it?????

That sounds counterproductive.....No?

Maybe I am not comprehending this correctly?

Anyone feel like schooling me on this?

TDZ is used at a very young stage to induce proliferation. Very little- if any- of the TDZ or other hormones used at this stage will remain once the plant is "finished." Even then, that assumes TDZ undergoes uptake, and is translocated within the plant. It's possible the hormone moves very little within the plant.

You probably get exposed to more TDZ driving past a cotton field before the boles are harvested than you would from a lifetime of consuming plants produced in tissue culture.

It's like being concerned about the amount of chrome you're ingesting because you used a stainless steel blade was used to make the cutting from which your plant was cloned.

shaggyballs

Veteran
Thanks!
OK I am kinda understanding.
What if TDZ is used at the cutting stage to help with branching?
Would it remain in the plant long, when given at that stage in the same amounts as in-vitro?
shag