What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

A question about CBD's chemical formula

Puffin13

Lifetime Supporter
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I dont know much about chemistry, so maybe someone could answer a question for me. I know that THC's chemical formula is C21H30O2. I have been doing some research into the formula for CBD. What I have found is that CBD's formula is also C21H30O2. Is this possible to have the same formula for 2 different cannabiniods? I'm baffled. Thanks in advance for any clarification.

Puffin13

Lifetime Supporter
ICMag Donor
Veteran
So it is possible for THC and CBD to have the same formula. Ok. Thanks for answering my question, jr grower. :tiphat:

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Not only isomers, but chiral pairs.

Wintergreen is the exact same molecule as dill, only the opposite hand.

Puffin13

Lifetime Supporter
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Thanks Gray Wolf. :tiphat: I was really confused seeing the same formula for two different cannabiniods. I understand now that it is possible.

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Thanks Gray Wolf. :tiphat: I was really confused seeing the same formula for two different cannabiniods. I understand now that it is possible.

Join the club! Hardly anything more confusing than all the ways carbon chains can assemble themselves, and all the rules governing the routes that they choose, to me too.

One of the reasons that I chose to be an engineer, rather than organic chemist.

Penguin59

Interesting stuff to read here. Have no idea on chemistry myself by I'll log this one in the memory banks!

highonmt

Veteran
Organic chem is easy to understand. You have to be high, standing on your head, and spinning in circles.

Or be a geek like me who loved all organic chem and still does. The two molecules are known as constitutional isomers ie they have the same molecular formula. In this case thc
620px-Tetrahydrocannabinol.svg.png

Is the closed bezochromene aromatic terpene

CBD
Is the open form; the chemical formula is identical due to the terminal alkene and hydroxyl moieties
512px-Cannabidiol.svg.png

Conversion between the two forms is possible via straight forward reactions.

HM

BullDogUK

Hey Puffin, as everyone's already previously mentioned, THC and CBD are isomers. In biochemistry, the shape of molecules or the location of specific chemical groups (i.e. the -OH groups you see on the above molecules) affects which receptors on the surface of your cells they can bind to and how well they bind to them which leads to their differing effects.