What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

WHO HAS THE OLDEST CANNABIS SEEDS?

window

Veteran
I have thousands of seeds from 1973. My father open pollinated with plants from seed mostly collected at university of Maryland. Some of the plants were grown from seed collected in panama a year prior. These were supposed to be panama red but who knows. The seeds were stored in an attic for 30 plus years and due to the summer heat and age they are clearly dead. What should I do with these?

Send them to phylos/Sam for the DNA project .
Get your post count up to 50 so you can send and receive PMs, then you can contact Sam and he will give you info on what to do.

Big Sur

I have over 30 landrace and early California heirloom strains of seeds from the 1970s and 1980s that I have kept frozen since then. I also have some later seeds from more modern strains. I bought them in ounces and pounds and saved them when no one else did. Some I also have that people have given to me or traded to me. Lots of people planted and grew weed in NorCal back then, but most did not know how to grow sinsemillia or save the seeds long term. They will keep indefinitely in a freezer if they are kept dry. There are also tricks to germinating older seeds. My earliest ones are from 1975 when I read that they could be frozen forever. Most are still viable. I have grown about 20 of the strains myself since then, and given many seeds to others that have grown them over the years.

I planted 12 last year and all 12 germinated. 6 were sativas from Mexico that I got in 1978, and 6 were indicas from Afghanistan that I got in 1990/91. The sativas all grew fine. Three indicas got dampening off and died just after planting, but the other three survived. This indica had leaves over a foot long and almost a foot wide. They were huge. Of the lot, 1/3 indicas was female, and 3/6 of the sativas were females. I grew out two males of each for pollen in a separate greenhouse, and crossed these two strains both ways. I also traded the pollen from both strains to some growers around here doing crosses. Some of them gave me seeds last year from their crosses that I have frozen along with mine. I have seeds from Mexico, Colombia, Afghanistan, Thailand, Africa, Oregon and NorCal. I also have a collection of later more modern strain seeds frozen as well. And they are not for sale, sorry. I am not a seed company nor am I affiliated with any.

Latest posts

Latest posts