What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

WHO HAS THE OLDEST CANNABIS SEEDS?

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
Who has the oldest Cannabis seeds? How old are they? Where did you get them? Where are they from? Did you ever see anything grown from the seeds? Got a picture of the seeds or plants?

-SamS

growhi

i have some johnny blaze from legends seeds in the fridge , i think they are about 8 or 9 years old now ................................... i hope they germinate :dunno:

mack 10

Veteran
Fwe years ago shanti sent out some old seeds to see if anyone could find anything,i think they where from late 90's? i got some Hashplant crosses. Out of 25 seeds i only got 3 or so to germ and ended up with one female. it grew really slow, and was average in every way,lol mack.

N

noluv

Kinda hard to beat the 2700-year-old seeds they found in the Gobi Desert:

c7663472-7695-4065-bf77-c669500600f1.jpg

Image Credits David Potter/Journal of Experimental Botany/Oxford University Press

Stolen from Discovery Channel's website: http://dsc.discovery.com/news/slideshows/marijuana-stash.html

Didn't germ.

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
The Chinese seeds are pretty old and they were confirmed via DNA testing to be of a high THC variety. But no one has any idea what a plant from these seeds would look, smell, or taste like, much less the effects, they could not be grown. You can see many other old Cannabis seed finds in "Physical evidence for the antiquity of Cannabis sativa L."
Michael P. Fleming and Robert C. Clarke
http://www.internationalhempassociation.org/jiha/jiha5208.html

-SamS

J

joejusttyped

I've had a bag of seeds I've held onto for about a decade now of various matured loing beans from my dad's stash when I used to pinch some off from his bags.
Always referred to as mexican shwag/brick weed but it was usually different..... The smells of the bud from over the years are what I remember the most (highly seeded) - blue/berry, licorice/incense, orange zest, earthy/dirty.

Never grown any of them but theyrr some of the most matured and biggest seeds I have. Last I remember I think I have around 50 of them all mixed up in one bag. Maybe I'll try to germ a few the next time I pop seeds.

O

OneTokeOver

Some of my collection is 10-12 yrs. Not that old by most standards.

I recently popped a pack of Bros. Grimm Rosetta Stone that I got from HS back in the day.

GKKUfl.jpg

GKKUf

Only 2 cracked and I gave up after about 3 weeks and threw them into another pot heading for the flower room.

6 weeks in, I notice 3 seedlings, one more came up at 8 weeks and one a week after harvest. So over 10 weeks germination on a couple.

5BnSOl.jpg

I figured they were happy there so I left em and here they are 5 days into 12/12.

6BF6Hl.jpg

The moral of this story is not to give up on old seeds, they may have gone dormant. (that's my theory anyways)

Also interesting to note that they were given 1300 ppm maxibloom since before birth. tough seeds.

6BF6H

Got a vial of seeds collected sometime in the 30's, was in this old school seed collection (all kinds of other plants) and labelled Cannibis Sativa... wanna try and pop some but figure not a big chance.

Last edited:

Hrpuffnkush

Golden Coast
Veteran
my pops was in brotherhood along with my uncle ... i have there seeds .. thats the good news , bad news , very few if any were labeled , some were ,thai , mexican thai ,kush ,indica , skunk, some by origin sourced nayarit , sinaloa , Santa Maria , Sam i did get your SK#1 / Kerala wonderful excellent breeding very stable bug mold resistant even growth very unique psychoactive effects , i trying some malawi . congo seeds at moment they dont seem to wana germ
a buddy has a great early 80's to mid 90 dutch collection all still in packs ...

i assumed you guys at GW/HF would have pretty much everything by now. =)

great thread ...

SK#1

G

gloryoskie

Old seed are cool. I had some saved unintentionally in the folds of some LPs.
2 out of 7 popped and are in flower now, they like classic rock music, natch.

Best guess seeds are from '78-'81. Those LP's were unused since that time, I looked through the bins and found the seeds in the Eat a Peach LP.

All the LP's are sold, minus the residue, lol.

The two plants that are flowering now are unremarkable by today's standards. Took cuts before placing the originals into flower.

One is shorter with easy side branching, short dense nugs for a floro gro. Smells like sweet pine sap. Broad leaf, tight growth.

The other stretched a bit, with longer looser buds and less side branching. Pine smell here too, but more subtle and slightly sweeter.

I will take some snaps and post if you wish.

I grow micro, so prepare to be underwhelmed, lol.

Anyone who has seeds over 10 years old, I have a question for you: why? Why did you not grow them yet!? :D ;) yeah I realize some freeze seeds and only thaw when needed and then you can keep them for some time, but I would think only breeders would do that. I do wonder why some have 15 or more year old seeds and not grow them though. That being said, I had a "magic mix" in the mid 90's some dude just gave me, selectively selected bagseed I guess, damn some of that shit was great! And if I hadn't gotten rid of those in a fit of panic, I prob would still have some as they were many!

To answer the question, I have a few over 10 years but most 8 or less years. Including some Sk#1 freebies from you from around 2003~! Point is, if you have the means: grow don't collect. What is the point of collecting if you can grow?

Dawn Patrol

Well this is some bullshit right here.....
Veteran
I have a collection of bag seed that my friend and I have collected over the last 30 years - nothing labeled, no known genetics but I'm sure there is some treasure in that vial :biggrin:

I still have a bunch of personal crosses to sort out next fall so I probably won't get to play with any of those bag seeds for another year, but I am certainly going to go through them sooner than later.

O

OneTokeOver

Anyone who has seeds over 10 years old, I have a question for you: why? Why did you not grow them yet!?

Can't speak for anyone else, but I love hunting down rare strains that I missed before I became active in the community. I plan to grow them all eventually.

Next up Glo.:biggrin:

yes as for me, I have not grown my older stuff because until recently I did not have a real opportunity to grow and achieve results. Now that I do, I will. I hear you about getting strains before you were active in the community. I try to do the same but have few connections. Still I have a nice little collection started. Point is, collections are for old dudes, well I am getting there, but point is now I will do a little less collecting and a little more growing! ;)

jayjayfrank

Veteran
in march 5/10 popped of johnny blaze i bought in 2006(made in 2000?). one took a whole month in soil to break ground(whole moon cycle?). 3/5 female, 1 triploid.

don't you have old russian seeds sam? also, is the new boutique going to list your stuff?

bombadil.360

Andinismo Hierbatero
Veteran
Sam, stop beating around the bush and just tell us how old are the oldest seeds you got? origin?

:chin:

I could have had nice pre-80s colombian seeds, but I was completely unaware of the value of those seeds in the future and was just a 'lil dipshit lol

el bee

Ma gave me some from '73. I was eager but clueless on how to proceed. They cracked, but that was it.

Tragic. I would have loved to experienced the genetics so inspiring to my genetics.

Latest posts

Latest posts