What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Continuous Monster Cropping and Plant Degradation

teemu shalanie

WeeDGamE StannisBaratheoN
Veteran
yah I have done this but only in extreme situations , like when I have fuckd myself by not taking cuttings when I should have, and to save the strain I re-veg cuttings from the great strain that I would hate to lose , And I also agree with highmt, like he said the time you waist re-vegging a "monster " you could've put your energy into more productive things......I feel this is a good tech, for when a bunch of seeds are started then when they start to produce resin/tiny flowers you can really pick yourself a winner....... dont see why you would want to grow "Monster" plants , all those spindely branchs are just popcorn, to be removed.......TS

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
reveg cuttings themselves are a very valuable way of saving genetics that, during flowering, you have decided are worth saving - and thye make good multi-branch mother plants as people have said...

as for using this as a technique to get multi-branched plants for flowering, i personally, given the choice - would prefer to veg up a normal cutting and use topping or training to get a bushy plant. i wouldnt agree that the plant in the OP pic would be much good for scrogging and i feel the plant stays a little 'confused' between vegging and flowering for quite some time after this type of re-veg treatment .

but hey if this is working for you and you're happy with the results then go for it.

VG

ZENBEE

04-11-2009002.jpg

25-9-2009041-1.jpg

16-11-2009134.jpg

16-11-2009116.jpg

16-11-2009125.jpg

16-11-2009071.jpg

16-11-2009120.jpg

30-11-2009013.jpg

16-11-2009088.jpg

16-11-2009079.jpg

30-11-2009048-1.jpg

30-11-2009034.jpg

beefacebm.jpg

This monster was fanta! Blue mystic/ Nirvana...

Jamil Sayida/ Karma
7-2-09023.jpg

8-3-09msofi124-1.jpg

:dance013:

ZENBEE

BTW- bud is revegging while rooting! -and will only need about one week more to reach the veggetative stadium. Thats one week more in total, very worth spending... Alternative is to make 10+ plants, simply not worth the effort- If you still think 'this is the lazy method' I dont know how to convince you. The BM in my post was vegging outside in summer and ending her flowering for 4 weeks indoor. Minimum expenses! -for motherplants this tech is the fastest for providing many clones real fast. Thats it! Beat my 'drone build of' for evidence, and i'll change my tech....

dansbuds

Retired from the workforce Bullshit
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Thank you Zenbee for illustrating my point way better than I could have!!! with a little selective trimming , you can have monster bushes & doubt you get branching like that with lst & tying down without a long veg time . alot longer than the week or 2 it takes to reveg a clone :)

1 plant per light scrogged into a 4 x4 net ( or bigger )& your talkin pounds not ounces :)

Debil

It's my first grow and my ladies got budding quicker than my cloning skills. In my cuttings, only 1 out of 11, then 6 out of 10 grew and my most desired clones failed. Now I have lovely budding ladies with lower branches I've been eyeing with the wonder of "could I"? Now I'm willing to take the chance.
Good Karma for those who share the zenhoney of knowledge! Thank you for the inspiration and hope that I haven't screwed it up beyond repair.

stihgnobevoli

Veteran
im doing some more.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

i have a link to a tutorial for cloning in dirt in my sig. i root lowest branch cuttings all the time. the ones in my tut are all lowest branches of plants in flower.

ZENBEE

It's my first grow and my ladies got budding quicker than my cloning skills. In my cuttings, only 1 out of 11, then 6 out of 10 grew and my most desired clones failed. Now I have lovely budding ladies with lower branches I've been eyeing with the wonder of "could I"? Now I'm willing to take the chance.
Good Karma for those who share the zenhoney of knowledge! Thank you for the inspiration and hope that I haven't screwed it up beyond repair.

Plz use translator! Fair, if you want help--- you are saying that your female plantz were flowering faster than your cloning skills? -Cloning skill can't flower:tiphat: or can it???
smokers joke; what is short time memory? Dont know, fuck, my toasts are burning! :biggrin:
...1/11 grew then 6/10... same batch??? then 7/11 grew. Youre most desired failed... You have to take care of the ones you love♥oure answer
.. You have lovely budding ladies with low branches... great! - and now you wanna reveg? ...what is screwed???

Too tired... I'll wait for your answer;)

Also a good way of ascertaining how photosensitive a given strain is, whether for breeding, re-vegging or whatever other persuasion. Lovely plants Zen.

Crusader Rabbit

Veteran
Hey Guys i want to discuss a few things about monster cropping and Plant Degradation...
But would you run in to problems if you was flowering and revegging a plant again and again infinitely...

If you do this over and over with the same line I see a potential for possible degradation. After many generations of this the clones should still have the same DNA, but it could be expressing itself differently. I'm talking about epigenetic change. Flowering is a big transition point in the life cycle of a plant. Genes are activated which cause the plant to express it's growth in a new direction. For most plants they'll never go back. This is a one way trip.

In our artificial grow environment we can get plants to reveg, so obviously many genes which determine vegetative growth are back to their old ways. But if the plants are somehow permanently different now (monster crop growth pattern) then some genes have been activated to cause this new growth pattern and they aren't going back. Any clones thereafter will show this new genetic expression.

Were growth genes kicked out of a mode quite favorable to young vegetative development into an expression better suited to late flowering and less favorable to young growth or root development? I don't know, but if repeated revegging results in problems this would be a likely mechanism. I can see the adaptive value of a surviving long flowering plant which decided to go an extra year and make a second batch of seeds but I'm not aware of this as a common life strategy in cannabis. Repeated revegging will be switching genes on and off repeatedly which never evolved to backtrack. Don't know if this will lead to problems in real life but the potential is there.

In this thread, many have described or shown how they use revegging/monstercropping to their advantage. I can't remember anyone saying that they've been repeatedly putting the same plant/clone line through this change generation after generation. Not saying that they aren't doing it, but I don't think the question in the title of this post has really been addressed here.

Jmangenetics

I read that a study done on motherplants and clones taken off them shows mutations in the dna of the clones that were not in the mother they dont know if the mutations were from the cloning process or other causes that was in maximum yield magazine a few months ago

El Toker

I know this can be done from personal experience in an emergency when a bunch of cuttings lined up for the next grow died on me. However, it's difficult, time consuming and is not at all necessary to produce huge flowering plants. A SCROG, LST or even topping will produce a large bushy plant with plenty of growing tips without having to wait weeks for the clones to root and reveg.

ZENBEE

Revegged budclones for mums and SOG by LST for her babies! The one and only way, in my oppinion ;)

3snowboards

picture.php

I took the buds of of the two largest cherry pies.
one bud was touching the top and was getting a little mushy.
I will take a picture when I do the pm misting.
The clones are under 1 2700k 13 watt LED and 1 13w 5000k 10 watt LED. 24hr light and 0 dark.

3snowboards

Got another 5000k light on the clones
Took out the 2700k
Now I have 27w of 5000k on them
The cherry pies were mostly De budded on day 3
The of clones were 3 weeks younger and still have their buds.
The on the leaves is growing away.
Left them uncovered for a couple hours today (day 8) and they didn't wilt. That's good.
No more spraying.
picture.php

If you do this over and over with the same line I see a potential for possible degradation. After many generations of this the clones should still have the same DNA, but it could be expressing itself differently. I'm talking about epigenetic change. Flowering is a big transition point in the life cycle of a plant. Genes are activated which cause the plant to express it's growth in a new direction. For most plants they'll never go back. This is a one way trip.

In our artificial grow environment we can get plants to reveg, so obviously many genes which determine vegetative growth are back to their old ways. But if the plants are somehow permanently different now (monster crop growth pattern) then some genes have been activated to cause this new growth pattern and they aren't going back. Any clones thereafter will show this new genetic expression.

Excellent analysis. As someone with a biological science background and 35+ years growing experience I think I can add further to the discussion.

Epigenetic change refers to a situation when the modification of a genes expression is permanent and therefore inheritable.

In all organisms, genes are turned on and off in response to environmental change and the influence of hormones at the cellular level. A good example is when a woman becomes pregnant. Many major changes happen during the pregnancy, facilitated by hormones altering gene expression. When the pregnancy is complete, the changes in gene expression are reversed.

In cannabis, a reduction in day length (long dark period) alters gene expression via hormonal changes and this results in the flowering response. As cannabis is an annual, in nature this is usually the final expression of the plants morphology and concludes with senescence and death.

But if we expose the flowering cannabis plant to long day length we can reverse the changes in gene expression and force the plant back to the vegetative state, similar to the woman when the pregnancy is complete. The question is; is the reversion back to the vegetative state complete, or are there some genes which have remained in their modified state? If so, then this would result in a plant with a phenotypic expression which is different to its previous vegetative state, and any subsequent cuttings will also show this phenotype.

I have been cloning multiple strains for over 25 years and have regularly taken clones from plants well into flowering. I have also maintained a Jack Herer cut since the early 2000's. In my experience I have never had any phenotypic change in my cuttings despite not keeping a mother plant and always starting with new cuttings each grow cycle.

The so called monster cropping response is simply because when a plant is in flower the internode length is extremely short (within the bud) and so there is many nodes available to re-sprout when the clone reverts back to a vegetative state. Taking cuttings off this plant (once it is fully back to the vegetative state) will not carry this morphology across - the cuttings are invariably identical to the original mother prior to flowering. There has been anecdotal reports over the years of cutting lines changing over time - losing vigour, potency etc. but there has never been any concrete evidence of this happening and I certainly haven't observed it.

Last edited:

3snowboards

Good progress on the monster crop clones
2 of the cherry pie have shown roots thru the pellet at 8 days
And all 6 are showing signs of revegging

Latest posts

Latest posts