What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

UV Light and Terpenoids

3dDream

Matter that Appreciates Matter
Veteran
Hmmm.... this proves me wrong?
UV-B RADIATION EFFECTS ON PHOTOSYNTHESIS, GROWTH and CANNABINOID PRODUCTION OF TWO Cannabis sativa CHEMOTYPES
John Lydon* 2 Alan H. Teramura 1 C. Benjamin Coffman 3
1 Department of Botany, University of Maryland, College Park, MD 20742, USA 2 USDA-ARS, Southern Weed Science Laboratory, P.O. Box 350, Stoneville, MS 38776, USA 3 USDA-ARS, Weed Science Laboratory, AEQ. I, Beltsville, MD 20705, USA
*To whom correspondence should be adressed.
Copyright 1987 American Society for Photobiology
ABSTRACT

The effects of UV-B radiation on photosynthesis, growth and cannabinoid production of two greenhouse-grown C. sativa chemotypes (drug and fiber) were assessed. Terminal meristems of vegetative and reproductive tissues were irradiated for 40 days at a daily dose of 0, 6.7 or 13.4 kJ m-2 biologically effective UV-B radiation. Infrared gas analysis was used to measure the physiological response of mature leaves, whereas gas-liquid chromatography was used to determine the concentration of cannabinoids in leaf and floral tissue.

There were no significant physiological or morphological differences among UV-B treatments in either drug- or fiber-type plants. The concentration of Δ9-tetrahydrocannabinol (Δ9-THC), but not of other cannabinoids, in both leaf and floral tissues increased with UV-B dose in drug-type plants. None of the cannabinoids in fiber-type plants were affected by UV-B radiation.

The increased levels of Δ9-THC in leaves after irradiation may account for the physiological and morphological tolerance to UV-B radiation in the drug-type plants. However, fiber plants showed no comparable change in the level of cannabidiol (a cannabinoid with UV-B absorptive characteristics similar to Δ9 THC). Thus the contribution of cannabinoids as selective UV-B filters in C. sativa is equivocal.

and one more about red vs blue:

Plant Action Spectrum:
Action Spectrum: blue 425-500nm
Action Spectrum: red 650-700nm
PAR range 400-700nm
---------------
Blue Action Spectrum (425-500nm):
-increased photosynthesis
-preferred by chlorophyll b
-preferred less than, but nearly as much as red by chlorophyll a
-zeitlupe is a blue light receptor*
-phototropin is a blue light receptor*
-cryptochrome is a blue light receptor*
-zeaxanthin is a blue receptive pigment that opens stoma in daylight
-carotenoids absorb blue light and transfer the energy to chlorophyll b (helps offset lower efficiency of blue photon)
-wavelength is shorter and higher in energy, blue photons are absorbed less efficiently (lower action rate due to photons higher energy)
*The blue light receptors do a variety of the following:
mediate blue light-induced phototropism (circadian rhythms), chloroplast re-localization, opening of the stomatal aperture and stimulates proton pumps that drive protons out of the cells which starts off a whole set of reactions; electochemical gradients, osmosis of water, etc.

Red Spectrum (650-700nm):
-enables the conversion of starch into malate which keeps the stomata open.
-preferred by chlorophyll a, although blue is preferred nearly as much by chlorophyll a
-nearly all plants have a higher concentration of chlorophyll a than chlorophyll b
-wavelength is longer and lower in energy, red photons are absorbed more efficiently (higher action rate due to photons lower energy)

E

elmanito

Four Seasons had a pic from an old issue of High Times Magazine somewhere in the high mountains of Mexico.

picture.php

The higher the altitude the quicker one sunburns. (One study suggested, for example, that an average complexion burns at six minutes at 11,000 feet at noon compared to 25 minutes at sea level in a temperate climate.)

Nmaaste :smoweed: :canabis:

Best strains were grown at these height!!!!

Strainbrain

Chairman of the Joint Chiefs
Veteran
My continuing firsthand experience is that UVB in the form of reptile flourescents has a significant and positive effect on resin production and eventual potency.

englishrick

Plumber/Builder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
ok,,,no1 has to answer me if they dont want to,,[im not expecting it],,,,,im only gona post this 1thing an il leave it at this..:)

im propper getting into PURple light floros:),,,an pulsestart metal halides:)!!,,,the uv blue the sunpulse seems to offer is very interesting to me

ps1-400.jpg

Sunpulse: pulsestart metalhallide................ spinning lights!!,,,,,,,,,,available in many Kelvin Ratings
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEAczZkRd0A

get the enviroment right get the observation you want:)

traits are a matter of perspective!,,,,

perspective is relative to light!!

emagine this disk below is your keeper plant [clone],,,,then emagine this disk is a DVD,,,,do you want to watch just watch half the film:)?....maybe ya do but not me,,,i want the special fetures and directors comentory

wheel_spectrum.jpg

dogvis.jpg

fig-26-ems-big.gif

Last edited:

*mistress*

Veteran
My continuing firsthand experience is that UVB in the form of reptile flourescents has a significant and positive effect on resin production and eventual potency.
cheapo generic ge/sylvania/venture 4k-5k bulbs may be more efficient & last longer... same or greater uvb output...

enjoy your garden!

Strainbrain

Chairman of the Joint Chiefs
Veteran
What I'm currently using is limited by my cabinet design: I have an array of F8T5 bulbs (12", 8w) across the ceiling and my UVB bulbs must therefore be only one size... somewhat limiting my choices. This one size exists, although I have to order it from overseas. It's still not very expensive, though. ($40 for 2 bulbs, a years' worth, plus shipping.)

That said, I have no complaints and honestly I wouldn't change a thing - if it ain't broke, right?

Thank you for the tip, though. The important thing is that UVB has a real and measurable effect, wherever you get it. :smoke:

Ghostwolf

Pirate & Cherokee Warrior for Freedom and Cannabis
Veteran
I wanted to thank all here. I've been following this seriously interesting thread and you all offer such great info. I been thinking of trying this type of lighting and believe I will do this in my next grow. Good Luck

indifferent

Veteran

Do you have any evidence to back this up? Any photos of the same cutting with and without UV?

cheapo generic ge/sylvania/venture 4k-5k bulbs may be more efficient & last longer... same or greater uvb output...

enjoy your garden!

I'm sorry, but I disagree. By Eu and US law, CFLs and Discharge lighting for domestic use is not allowed to output UV. The quartz glass envelopes of discharge lighting blocks UV. In a regular fluorescent, the phosphor coating absorbs the UV and re-emits it as visible light, I get zero UV reading 1 inch from a regular 25W CFL, but place the meter 1 inch from my 26W reptile CFL and I get a strong reading.

If you really want strong UV for cheap, but the phosphorless UV CFLs or tubes intended for water sterilisation, but they are every harmful to skin and eyes so you need to turn em off before entering room.

What I'm currently using is limited by my cabinet design: I have an array of F8T5 bulbs (12", 8w) across the ceiling and my UVB bulbs must therefore be only one size... somewhat limiting my choices. This one size exists, although I have to order it from overseas. It's still not very expensive, though. ($40 for 2 bulbs, a years' worth, plus shipping.)

That said, I have no complaints and honestly I wouldn't change a thing - if it ain't broke, right?

Thank you for the tip, though. The important thing is that UVB has a real and measurable effect, wherever you get it. :smoke:

If it has a real and measurable effect, can you show the results? Unless I see some actual, tangible evidence, I do not believe that UV has any effect at all on resin production.

There are 6 carotenoid type terpenoids and they are stimulated by light in the 400-450nm range most strongly. This is not UV, it is violet-deep blue visible light. The carotenoids are responsible for orange, red and yellow pigmentation and two of them play a role in protecting human skin and eyes from UV (they are found in skin and eyes) so if 400-450nm light stimulates production of carotenoids, this would be apparent in an increase in red/yellow/orange pigmentation in the exposed plant material.

I have just finished an experiment where i exposed a Highland Oaxacan Gold cutting to UV/blue light from a 26W Reptiglo CFL at a distance of about 10cm from the top of the plant. After 35 days of exposure, no increase in resin at all. There are three noticeable differences however between the Uv exposed side of the plant and the non exposed side:

1. On the UV side, the pistils have all turned brown whereas on the other side they are three quarters white.

2. The UV side has largely purple calyxes, the other side is still green.

3. The trichomes on the UV side have turned amber, on the other side they are clear.

The first two pics are the UV side, the second two are the other side, the colouration difference is clear.

I think that difference in colouring clearly shows that the UV/blue light from the CFL has stimulated greater production of carotenoid terpenoids, precisely as the science said it would.

There is no difference in resin production however, none, nada, zero, zilch.

If we look at the trichomes on the two sides of the plant, it is clear that the CFL has caused the trichomes on the exposed side of the plant to turn amber. This is an oxidisation effect and is probably undesirable as you don't want your THC oxidising before the plant is fully mature.

First two pics are the UV side, second two the non-UV side, as you can see the UV side has many ambers whereas there are none on the other side.

So it looks to me like the UV part of the radiation from the CFL is causing premature aging in the form of the pistils dying off earlier and the Trichomes oxidising, both of these i would think are undesirable effects. I will not know if the increased levels of carotenoids has had any effect on the taste/smell/high until I harvest this plant in a couple of days, dry it, cure it and smoke it.

Can anyone show ANY evidence of UV increasing trichome production? I am definitely not seeing this effect in my experiment.

indifferent

Veteran
I personally feel the opposite rick, and the decline in the quality of Dutch strains since they were driven indoors in the late 90s is clear evidence that breeding indoors under HPS lighting leads to poor selections and decline in overall quality.

*mistress*

Veteran
indifferent said:
I'm sorry, but I disagree. By Eu and US law, CFLs and Discharge lighting for domestic use is not allowed to output UV. The quartz glass envelopes of discharge lighting blocks UV. In a regular fluorescent, the phosphor coating absorbs the UV and re-emits it as visible light, I get zero UV reading 1 inch from a regular 25W CFL, but place the meter 1 inch from my 26W reptile CFL and I get a strong reading.
not cfl's... hids... specifically mh's in the 5k-10 kelvin range.

see graph of 'neutral metel' (4000 kelvin) halide in post 60, lots of uvb in the 4-6.5 kelvin range. see also links in that post for additional mh bulb data.
'cool' (5k) range, or more white light. both provide uv waves of light.
There is no difference in ** however, none, nada, zero, zilch.
was there difference in profile, terrior, or fullness of fruit?
from fruit w/out uv light? if compare samples?

enjoy your garden!

englishrick

Plumber/Builder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I personally feel the opposite rick, and the decline in the quality of Dutch strains since they were driven indoors in the late 90s is clear evidence that breeding indoors under HPS lighting leads to poor selections and decline in overall quality.

sorry man,,,,i need to explain myself :)

check this out:)

i think,,,,,,:) growing "indoors" is a pretty broad term,,,,,,yeh i agree,,,,since weed has been DRIVEN indoors we have seen a decline in overall quality but THC% have increesed overall!!....

THC has done pretty well indoors!!!, even with small scale breeding THC has managed to increese overall,,,,

i think its the other traits that have sufferd, not THC,,,,,,,,,,am i wrong bro ??????????

E

elmanito

since weed has been DRIVEN indoors we have seen a decline in overall quality but THC% have increesed overall!!....

THC has done pretty well indoors!!!, even with small scale breeding THC has managed to increese overall,,,,

i think its the other traits that have sufferd, not THC,,,,,,,,,,am i wrong bro ??????????

THC increased, but THCV decreased till zero.Marijuana grown outside is more psychedelic thanks to the THCV, although the cannabinoid profile is genetic, but certain cannabinoids like THCV can be activated by UV.

Another source which is responsible are sea minerals which certainly will increase the terpenoids.

Namaste :smoweed: :canabis:

indifferent

Veteran
THC increased, but THCV decreased till zero.Marijuana grown outside is more psychedelic thanks to the THCV, although the cannabinoid profile is genetic, but certain cannabinoids like THCV can activated by UV.

Another source which is responsible are sea minerals which certainly will increase the terpenoids.

THCV isn't psychoactive, it is a THC antagonist so I don't see why you would want it. How do you know THCV production can be stimulated by UV? What wavelength of UV? How does THCV make a high more psychedelic? Industrial hemp can be very high in THCV.

Sea minerals? Such as found in seaweed? Or do you mean the sea salts such as Dead Sea and Himalayan you can buy? How do these increase terpenoids?

ChaosCatalunya

5.2 club is now 8.1 club...
Veteran

Plants adapt to their environment, wild Sativas can be fish out of water indoors, NL was bred for shelf gardening with Flouros in obviously low light levels. If the Dutch strains went down in quality it could have been the lower light levels effecting it as well.... or just less careful breeders ;-)

THCV isn't psychoactive, it is a THC antagonist so I don't see why you would want it. How do you know THCV production can be stimulated by UV? What wavelength of UV? How does THCV make a high more psychedelic? Industrial hemp can be very high in THCV.

Sea minerals? Such as found in seaweed? Or do you mean the sea salts such as Dead Sea and Himalayan you can buy? How do these increase terpenoids?

I have grown several clones I know well indoors, outside @200M in the Spanish Sun, the outdoor version of the weed is clearly stronger in most plants, despite the battering they get from Nature. The smells and flavours are never as good as indoors though, Sativas seem to weather it better than some, pampered for generations, Indoor strains.

englishrick

Plumber/Builder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
GOOD Questions indifferent bro,,,,,,i cant wait for el to reply:),,,,,,,i truly believe that specifice light patterns produce a differnce in the ratio of chemicals produced in any 1 batch

THC percentages have increesed :),,,ive got a book explaining how THC increeses,,,im sure indoor breeding promotes it,,,,,,,i get the book again

even with small scale breeding the % of THC has defo increesed "overall",,,,

imo,,,its the the other constituants that have suffered from indoor growing Not THC:)

E

elmanito

First of all HPS has no UV in the light and second sativa's grown inside and outside is a way different in effect.

How do i know if the strain contains THCV???

Just testing by this method;

cannachart.jpg

The sun has UV while HPS has not.

Why sea minerals???
Certain growers who have grown with salt like Himalaya or normal unrefined sea salt or with Sea-Crop reported better smell and taste.

http://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=81260

BTW Industrial hemp doesnt contain any THC and yes THCV is antagonist of THC but has blocking effect on the THC like CBD.Never grown any African strains????

Namaste :smoweed: :canabis:

Here's a quote from the beginning of the thread:

"working in a backwards-logic, sorta....

cannabinoids are, all, terpenophenolics. terpenophenolic is a combination of a terpenoid and a phenol.

terpenoids are aromatic molecules, and in some of my references will be flavanoids, just a specialized terpenoid."

So, knowing that plants can absorb nutrients and water through their leaves and flowers as well as roots, would it make sense to spray the plants with terpenes, flavenoids, phenols etc?

Many of the essential oils used in aromatherapy contain huge numbers of terpeneoids, phenolics and so on. In one of our orchid lectures an expert was telling us to spray plants with essential oils to kill off insect infestations; even planting aromatic plants like basil in the greenhouse to chase the insects. So I've sprayed orchids with various essential oils like eucalyptus, cinnamon and so on and when I had spider mites on my marijuana I've sprayed it with no damage. I never thought that I might be increasing the thc level, but after reading this thread, I started to think about it and really in my mind it just might work. Basically you would be increasing the precursers to thc and then the uv light would have lots of flavenoids to convert.

To spray the oils you just fill a spray bottle 3/4 full of distilled water and put in a half teaspoon of cedar oil or eucalyptus oil. You have to keep shaking it as there is no emulsifier, but I do it all the time. I'm always spraying the cedar around the house to get rid of ants.

indifferent

Veteran
Hi Elmanito, I remember seeing that chart before, and it seems to have stirred some memories, did you post that in the THCV thread back at overgrow? I remember that thread quite well, was some good discussion. At the time I was growing Malawi Gold and Zamal so had quite an interest in THCV.

Sorry if I came off a little confronting, I just wanted you to give some further info as I always value what you say.

I have been studying the possible effects of UV light and I think you need UV-B in the 285-300nm range to stimulate THC production, but I'm not 100% sure on this, few studies have been done so far. I know the carotenoid type terpenoids are stimulated by blue light in the 400-500nm range. I'm not sure what type of light will stimulate THCV production, I've not read anything about THCV in the UV writings I've read so far.

In fact, I'm not even sure what, if any, effect THCV has when smoked. I am currently flowering some Durban Poison, Ethiopian Highland and West African, so I expect there will be some THCV present in that lot.

Interesting about the sea salts, I've been thinking of trying some dead sea salts, they have lots of minerals. I'm a bit sceptical about things that are supposed to boost flavour such as molasses and guano, maybe they do, but in my experience, nothing increases taste and smell like a good long flush.

You can use Polysorbate 20 as an emulsifier with those essential oils.