What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Malawi Style Cob Curing.

StickyBandit

One more cause I couldn't resist cobbing some Killer A5 Haze

Dried for 5 days at 55-60% rh and sweated for 20 hours at 40-43C. I also removed the bigger stalks and most of the leaves, which I did not do with the golden tiger cob.
This one did not sweat that much and I suspect it was the moisture from stems/leaves, they hold a lot.

Nice, I open it up and a fermented floral smell hits me, then I come on here to post and read the above :jump:

Before
full

full

full

full

full

and after the intial sweat, now drying a little.

full

full

full
That's gonna be some weapons grade shit :D

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
So the cobs can sit in their vacuumed state, stored like jars?

Here are a couple more cobs that were also a little too dry to start with. Even without a proper sweat the stickiness and compaction makes something from the shake. I’ll save these for later, lots later.

If the dope is too wet what happens? Is mold a risk?

Ringodoggie, that Nesco dehydrator like for making deer jerky is perfect for this. A whole run could be cobbed on all those racks.

B651BD04-5892-432B-B353-A91A3DAC4774.jpeg

StickyBandit

Correct me if I'm wrong.....
What I understand is once it's properly dried it can be stored vacuum packed in darkness for many years and just gets better.
If it has moisture in it mold can and does form quite quickly, as I found out.
Once the fermentation process has been started it will continue even once dried completely.
I have 0.5kg of KA5H vacuum packed and stored at the back of a cupboard where the family can't find it :p
I'll open it every month or so to check progress and dryness
With your collection of bud, @flylowgethigh, you could make a massive cobb stash :D
If you prefer to smoke it it will grind up and expand like what my family prefers to do. At least it improves in storage instead of deteriorating. You could even bury some to age, like a fine wine

Last edited:

Hombre del mont

Dr of Stupidity

Here are a couple more cobs that were also a little too dry to start with. Even without a proper sweat the stickiness and compaction makes something from the shake. I’ll save these for later, lots later.

Ringodoggie, that Nesco dehydrator like for making deer jerky is perfect for this. A whole run could be cobbed on all those racks.

View attachment 18805051
Once the cobs are fully finished they can stay vacuumed up for years. I take off what i need for the next few weeks and revac the rest.

If the weed to too wet then the ferment will cause the cobs to go very dark and it will lose a lot of the terpines; It'll still "Bend you silly" though!

Providing you use a vacuum machine to exclude the oxygen then mold is not an issue.

I think you'll find that even those that you think were too dry will still ferment, albeit at a much slower rate. If you just leave them somewhere warm for several months you'll be very pleasantly surprised.

If you do a search for some of my post's in this thread since November 2022 you'll find several detailed descriptions of the process with lots of photo's. The way I do it is not the only way by any means, but I'm getting consistent results and Mrs DM and myself are "Bent Silly" every day.

Tangwena

Veteran

View attachment 18805051
I think you'll find that even those that you think were too dry will still ferment, albeit at a much slower rate. If you just leave them somewhere warm for several months you'll be very pleasantly surprised.
Hombre is spot on even if they dont sweat at first they will cure nicely vacuum sealed just take 3 to 6 months.
You can stash them away and come back later to find they have transformed into A grade smooth sweet smoke.

Tangwena

Veteran
One more cause I couldn't resist cobbing some Killer A5 Haze

Dried for 5 days at 55-60% rh and sweated for 20 hours at 40-43C. I also removed the bigger stalks and most of the leaves, which I did not do with the golden tiger cob.
This one did not sweat that much and I suspect it was the moisture from stems/leaves, they hold a lot.

Nice, I open it up and a fermented floral smell hits me, then I come on here to post and read the above :jump:

Before
full

full

full

full

full

and after the intial sweat, now drying a little.

full

full

full
Another brotherhood of the cob member for sure.
Some lovers of the herb just transition to this curing method as if they have been doing it their whole life.
That is a beautiful result brother you are going to set the bar higher and higher my hats off to you.

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
When dope cures it offgasses something. One would expect the vac sealed cobs to make gas and loosen up the vacuum.

I have heard of people adding terps for various effects, like Lino lol for relaxation. Seems a cob would spreAd the terpene throughout the dope as it sweated.

Squeezing out seeds makes dope feel wetter than i5 is cause of the oils that were smeared all over the dope. I have some more hanging that will get cobbed wetter.

Quart bags fit the Nesco better than gallon bags.

I think the cob cured OHz I am experimenting with is pretty good activity weed after being cobbed. Smokes smooth.

Last edited:

Tangwena

Veteran
When dope cures it offgasses something. One would expect the vac sealed cobs to make gas and loosen up the vacuum.

I have heard of people adding terps for various effects, like Lino lol for relaxation. Seems a cob would spreAd the terpene throughout the dope as it sweated.

Squeezing out seeds makes dope feel wetter than i5 is cause of the oils that were smeared all over the dope. I have some more hanging that will get cobbed wetter.

Quart bags fit the Nesco better than gallon bags.

I think the cob cured OHz I am experimenting with is pretty good activity weed after being cobbed. Smokes smooth.
You can def get mold even vacuum sealed if its too wet.
Hence the need to dry it regularly as it cures.

Your O'Haze cobs are better cured a little on the dry side anyway.
Small delicate flowers need less moisture to sweat and cure and will eventually surprise you when aged 6 months or longer.
Getting the pre cobbing dry right is a major part of the art so dont worry too much, drier is usually better than wetter in most cases.

Tangwena

Veteran
I vacuum packed some Malawi x PCK too damp for the first ferment and I DID manage to get mold, so it is definitely possible to get mold even if under full vacuum. Maybe I'm special :p
Theres no doubting your special brother you wouldn't be here if you were not ha ha.
If they are too moist you can get mold even years later under full vacuum I recently threw a few of my 12 month old cobs out for that reason.
Lucky I have way more than I will ever need already.

StickyBandit

Monthly quality control check
This is what a 0.5kg of Killer A5 Haze looks like on a breakfast tray. You can see one was not even rolled, just a 4oz bag of weed straight into the vacuum packer :p
It varies from 1 to 2 months down with all the stalks intact this time. Not next time.
Some was 34°c for 24 hrs one time and some has been in the incubator twice. Just because :)
Some of the bags were completely dry and after trying some older KA5H cobs decided to compress them all and warm them up in an attempt to get the ferment started. It seems to work OK even after the weed has been properly dried and already a month or two cured in the jars
All the cobs smell strong of fermentation so the level of dryness doesn't seem critical to get the process started
KA5HCobs.JPG

Last edited:

Tangwena

Veteran
This is what a 0.5kg of Killer A5 Haze looks like on a breakfast tray. You can see one was not even rolled, just a 4oz bag of weed straight into the vacuum packer :p
It varies from 1 to 2 months down with all the stalks intact this time. Not next time.
Some was 34°c for 24 hrs one time and some has been in the incubator twice. Just because :)
Some of the bags were completely dry and after trying some older KA5H cobs decided to compress them all and warm them up in an attempt to get the ferment started. It seems to work OK even after the weed has been properly dried and already a month or two cured in the jars
All the cobs smell strong of fermentation so the level of dryness doesn't seem critical to get the process started
View attachment 18805717
Some nice variation there brother your going to have some beautifully cured smoke in the coming months.
I can almost smell them from here ha ha.
Love your work.

Hombre del mont

Dr of Stupidity
View attachment 18805717
That's a huge breakfast! And I thought I was hitting it hard with a meagre 0.3g!

Beautiful work though! 😍

CDNINCA

Some seeded buds from SMG x DL, Mulanje (Tropics) and Mulanje (mine)
Getting cobbed once dry.
Santa Marta Gold x Demon Latcher. (Sola Lagos)

View attachment 18806113 View attachment 18806112 View attachment 18806113

Mulanje Gold (tropics)

View attachment 18806114 View attachment 18806115
Mulanje (mine)

View attachment 18806116

Side by side
View attachment 18806117
Oh my, those look amazing... Santa Marta Gold?? Spectacular! I've not heard of the other cultivar but I'm sure it's incredible, it looks great, amazing colors, cheers!

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
I have been heating the vac pak cobs with a vacuum pulled on the bag, and when they seem to have outgassed and lost the tight seal, I cut off the top of the vac bag, re-vac it, and reseal and keep heating. When they stop making gas , and the vac stays tight after heating over night, I store them.

Are they supposed to go right into vacuum when still ‘wet’, or sweat in a bag but no vacuum first for a while?

If these store well, and get better with age, I will cob up some of each run.

Probably all wrong in this technique. The color does change like the one I showed.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts