What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Have you looked at the North Pole lately?

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
With about 20 thousand warheads each, it doesn't matter where they hit. A small field in Siberia will get it. Then the rest of us will starve.

We need to spend ONE year's military budget on Fusion energy research. Just one year and 90% of the world's problems go away.

St. Phatty

With about 20 thousand warheads each, it doesn't matter where they hit. A small field in Siberia will get it. Then the rest of us will starve.

We need to spend ONE year's military budget on Fusion energy research. Just one year and 90% of the world's problems go away.

No need for a new technology.

Thorium/Uranium 233 reactor tech. is 100% ready to pick up the slack.

The world likes nuclear power that facilitates nuclear weapons. Thorium can't be used in that scenario.

therevverend

Veteran
i was thinking more about shrinking than a vanishing act
even the bad projections don't have the icecap disappear completely
winter ice should be present

This is the sort of stuff I'm interested in, when the polar ice caps formed, how old is the ice sheet that covers Greenland. What it would take to melt it and turn Greenland back into a forested island.

The northernmost 'settlement' on earth is Alert on Ellesmere Island at 82 degrees N in the Canadian High Arctic. It's more of an Air Force base and weather station, it hasn't had permanent residents since the 1950s because it's too fucking cold. The warmest month, July, has an average temperature of 38 degrees F. The yearly mean temperature is 0.1 degrees F.

The surprising thing is that camel fossils have been found on Ellesmere Island. They're 3.4 million years old, deposited not long before Greenland's ice cap started forming. At that time Ellesmere was covered in boreal forest, the same as covers much of Canada and Russia.

At that time global temperatures were 2-3 C degrees warmer then they are today which doesn't seem like much and could happen at the current rate of warming. This was enough to change the temperatures locally, on Ellesmere island, 14-22 degrees C warmer. Which is crazy. I doubt there are climate models that can predict this type of localized change in climate.

The High Arctic camel was related to modern Dromedaries and also to an Ice Age Yukon camel. Camels evolved in North America and dispersed from there to South America (llamas) and Asia. 10,000 years ago at the end of the last Ice Age all the North American camels and llamas went extinct. Along with horses, tapirs, lions, elephants, capybaras, and dozens of other types of animals. Which shows how dramatic a change in climate plus humans can have on wildlife.

They've also found 50 million year old Sequoia fossils on Ellesmere Island. This is when the earth was much hotter before the Antarctica's ice cap had formed. There were still marsupials and of course all sorts of plants and animals across Antarctica. A mix of South American and Australian species along with types that aren't found anywhere else.

At that time the Earth's climate was at a stage called the Paleocene-Eocene thermal maximum. The earth's climate was 8 degrees C warmer then it is today. The entire globe was ice-free. Scientists are interested in this time period because huge amounts of CO2 were being injected into the atmosphere. It came in two pulses, one lasting less then 2000 years.

Instead of trying to give you a rundown of what happened I'll give a link to the wikipedia article to look at if you're interested.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paleocene–Eocene_Thermal_Maximum#Possible_causes

One thing I take away from it, they don't know what caused the CO2 to be released. Did an animal evolve or arrive from outer space that used fossil fuels for energy? Paleontologists have done very little searching for evidence in earth's past for intelligent civilizations. It's very unlikely but possible.

Another thing to take away, at it's peak there was 0.2 gigatons of CO2 released per year. Humans release 10 gigatons per year. Of course the build up before the thermal maximum was over a much longer period of time but still..

St. Phatty

Thorium is wishful thinking. Fusion is closer to us than that.

I encourage ICMag members to do a web-search and collect the facts for themselves.

An example of a pilot reactor is the 2.5 megawatt natural gas facility that generates electricity, using methane from the decomposing land-fill underneath the 22 acres at SonomaCompost.com

Powers about 800 homes in the area.

I use that as an example of a small functional plant, that powers something real.

That has been accomplished many times with Thorium reactors.

I don't know of any self-sustaining fusion reactor, that powers anything.

igrowone

Veteran
well therevverend, that co2 rate we've been pumping is pretty much off the charts
it's utterly incredible what we're doing, add to that the other stuff that's in the mix
maybe time for some positives, it is christmas, need some upside here
one paper i saw mentioned larger amounts of nitrogen in various soils that are part of the world's wastelands(my words)
so the potential for co2 absorption may be greater than previously though
that said, the co2 measurements aren't showing much good, had a surge in co2 for the last year or 2
thought to be conditions that shouldn't repeat, there had been a slight shallowing in the co2 build up
i am reaching here

kickarse

Love it, an animal evolve and started using fossil fuels, should be some old coal power stations out there somewhere, shit we must of lost the technology along the way, lucky we found it 55,000,000 years later

either that or someone arrived from out of space and started using fossil fuels
probably had a coal powered space ship hey

it just gets sillier and sillier

kickarse

well therevverend, that co2 rate we've been pumping is pretty much off the charts
it's utterly incredible what we're doing, add to that the other stuff that's in the mix
maybe time for some positives, it is christmas, need some upside here
one paper i saw mentioned larger amounts of nitrogen in various soils that are part of the world's wastelands(my words)
so the potential for co2 absorption may be greater than previously though
that said, the co2 measurements aren't showing much good, had a surge in co2 for the last year or 2
thought to be conditions that shouldn't repeat, there had been a slight shallowing in the co2 build up
i am reaching here

We're are pumping out 2 fifths of fuck all, if ya worried about it plant a few trees, sit under them for a while, breath in some fresh air

we are still heading for a ice age, no chance of avoiding it
stay calm and enjoy the nice weather, unless you are in the northern hemisphere, then ya better light a fire and keep warm

its nice to see winter hit hard in some places,
might remind people what bullshit propaganda the IPCC come out with :biggrin:

igrowone

Veteran
We're are pumping out 2 fifths of fuck all, if ya worried about it plant a few trees, sit under them for a while, breath in some fresh air

we are still heading for a ice age, no chance of avoiding it
stay calm and enjoy the nice weather, unless you are in the northern hemisphere, then ya better light a fire and keep warm

its nice to see winter hit hard in some places,
might remind people what bullshit propaganda the IPCC come out with :biggrin:

i'm looking forward to warm up
folks like yourself assuage my guilt
things should not get out of hand for a while, and by which time i will likely be in the non caring camp, i.e. deceased

igrowone

Veteran
who's where on climate

who's where on climate

interesting polling info
i know it's from main stream news(nbcnews), therefore it's of the devil
but still, i see the trend out there on the forums
more believe it's true, which makes action more likely
time will tell

Polling: Consensus emerges in climate change debate

If you expect those changing views to lead to action in Washington, however, think again.

Dec. 30, 2018 / 9:07 AM ESTBy Dante Chinni and Sally Bronston
WASHINGTON — The climate change debate has been a part of politics in Washington for decades now, but polling from 2018 shows that there may be a consensus emerging from the American public. A range of surveys show more people believe it is happening and more people believe humans are responsible.
If you expect those changing views to lead to action in Washington, however, think again. In the places where it counts, where laws and regulations are made, the feelings concerning what should be done about climate change are much more divided.
On the most basic level, there is big agreement that climate change is a real thing and is happening before our eyes, according to a massive survey from the Yale Program on Climate Change Communication and the George Mason Center for Climate Change Communication.
fs_data_download_1_2018_12_30_cc0461c802008b5659896e6d4023776c.fit-760w.jpg
That data showed 70 percent of Americans believe “global warming is happening” and 57 percent believe “global warming is being caused mostly by human activities.” That data showed 70 percent of Americans believe “global warming is happening” and 57 percent believe “global warming is being caused mostly by human activities.” In a nation as divided as the United States is right now, those are remarkable numbers.
The American Communities Project went further and analyzed those data through its set of 15 different community types and found similar numbers. Large majorities in all types believe climate change is real and majorities in most communities believing humans are mostly causing the changes.
The latest NBC News/Wall Street Journal poll provides more evidence of a climate change majority.
fs_data_download_2_2018_12_30_7a5ad2404b163242428fe58a0e508cd4.fit-760w.jpg
The latest NBC News/ Wall Street Journal poll provides more evidence of a climate change majority.Two-thirds of those surveyed say they believe climate change is a serious problem and the nation needs to take action. That number is up 15 percentage points from 1999. At the same time, only 30 percent say we don’t know enough yet or that we don’t need to be concerned. That figure is down 13 points from 1999. That’s real movement.
And even more extraordinary in the poll is how uniform the numbers are the groups that believe climate change is a serious problem.
fs_data_download_3_2018_12_30_10687f655d94ff3afc4e4db408d6589c.fit-760w.jpg
Even more extraordinary in the poll is how uniform the numbers are the groups that believe climate change is a serious problem.Across a range of races and ethnicities there is widespread agreement. More than 60 percent of whites, Hispanics and African-Americans believe more needs to be done. And even the urban/rural divide largely disappears on the issue. More than 50 percent of those who live in cities, suburbs and rural locations agree that action is needed.
So with all that agreement, Washington is sure to make climate change a top priority, right? That’s where things get more complicated. The one area where we still see a big disagreement is between the nation’s two major political parties.
fs_data_download_4_2018_12_30_63b6964d120c6b1a70b4ed11100afc84.fit-760w.jpg
The one area where we still see a big disagreement is between the nation's two major political parties.Among Democrats, 71 percent say climate change is an urgent problem. That is a 42-point increase since 1999. For independent voters, 47 percent say they want action taken on climate change, a figure that is up 22 points since 1999.
But the number is much lower for Republicans; only 15 percent see a pressing need to deal with the issue. More noteworthy than the difference, however, is the stability of the Republican figure. That 15 percent mark is unchanged since the same question was asked in 1999.
And even with all the movement and the apparent agreement in these numbers, the unchanging nature of that partisan split is arguably the most crucial in terms of national policy.
There are more than 300 million people in the United States, but politically speaking there are two major parties and on the issues of whether and how to deal with climate change they have decidedly different views.
Public opinion in one thing, but as long as those party differences persist, movement on the issue is likely going to be hard to come by in Washington.

kickarse

There has been discussions on other threads and forums, about how humans are not as smart as they once were

The post above proves that without doubt, most people are idiots

igrowone

Veteran
antarctic doings

antarctic doings

the antarctic is a very different beast compared to arctic
what the sea ice down below indicates is fuzzy at best
but a surge in melting has been going on, down to record lows for this time of year
may well see a new all time record low by end of season

Attachments

• history.jpg
    history.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 15
  • extent.jpg
    extent.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 8

kickarse

The Antarctic is adding ice not losing it, they sent a ship full of climate flogs down there.
to measure how much ice has been lost, the got stuck in all the extra ice and had to be rescued

The Antarctic is adding ice not losing it, they sent a ship full of climate flogs down there.
to measure how much ice has been lost, the got stuck in all the extra ice and had to be rescued
The Antarctic is only gaining ice in the area closest to South America. Over all it's losing ice

armedoldhippy

Veteran

yes, we understand the sea ice is expanding. but that is but a fraction of the total cubic footage of the massive chunks that have calved from its glaciers this year. still a net loss...