What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Have you looked at the North Pole lately?

kickarse

You're likely to be hammered with enough extreme weather events to get you to say "uncle". Until then, enjoy.

What do we call "extreme weather"
have seen over 50c a few times, must admit it was a bit extreme
seen over 45c plenty of times, only once or twice since the 70s tho

two weeks till summer, was 3c this morning, it was "extreme", average night temp is 10.3, its been as cold winter/spring as last year, and the coldest two winter/springs for 30+ years here

what they should be doing, is the average temp for the day, not a split second high for the day.

with all the fudging of temp numbers, they can only come up with .8 of a degree warming over a century FFS what a joke,

anyone want to buy a few second hand never used desalination plants
Australia has plenty of them, never been used, we was conned by the climate believers, who no doubt made a shitload of $$$$

igrowone

Veteran
What do we call "extreme weather"
have seen over 50c a few times, must admit it was a bit extreme
seen over 45c plenty of times, only once or twice since the 70s tho

two weeks till summer, was 3c this morning, it was "extreme", average night temp is 10.3, its been as cold winter/spring as last year, and the coldest two winter/springs for 30+ years here

what they should be doing, is the average temp for the day, not a split second high for the day.

with all the fudging of temp numbers, they can only come up with .8 of a degree warming over a century FFS what a joke,

anyone want to buy a few second hand never used desalination plants
Australia has plenty of them, never been used, we was conned by the climate believers, who no doubt made a shitload of $$$$

average temperature is very much part of the analysis
the different measurements used in climate research are legion
and how people perceive a 0.8 degree increase is well represented by your point of view
it doesn't seem dangerous, lots of things don't look dangerous but are

White Beard

Oh, “nicely” done...

Oh, “nicely” done...

This might be one of the many reason for the doubt......

https://www.theblaze.com/news/2018/...s-in-major-study-on-accelerated-ocean-warming

Climate scientist offers stunning response to ‘mistakes’ in major study on accelerated ocean warming

Then a different set of eyes took a look
An independent Britain-based researcher published a lengthy blog post saying he had found a “major problem” with the research, the Post reported.

“So far as I can see, their method vastly underestimates the uncertainty,” Nicholas Lewis told the paper in an interview Tuesday, “as well as biasing up significantly, nearly 30 percent, the central estimate.”

Lewis added to the Post that he tends “to read a large number of papers, and, having a mathematics as well as a physics background, I tend to look at them quite carefully, and see if they make sense. And where they don’t make sense — with this one, it’s fairly obvious it didn’t make sense — I look into them more deeply.”
Of course, “The Blaze”! Solid science and real journalism there...:moon:
I’m sure you can find someone more vague than that “expert”

Smith111

Of course, “The Blaze”! Solid science and real journalism there...:moon:
I’m sure you can find someone more vague than that “expert”

It's funny when people attack the source, but don't read the article at all. The scientist all agree, the study was flawed and has been changed. Has nothing to do with who is reporting it, unless your just blinded by bias. :tiphat: Nice try though. :moon:

Notice nobody commented on the other 17 spectacularly wrong predictions science has given us over the last 40 years.... For the record, I think the world is warming. No idea if humans are speeding it up, but I do know that the warnings from the global warming alarmist have yet to come true. Even one. Does that not even register to the global warming alarmist? Does it bother you, that time and time again the global warming models put out by scientist are wrong? This last one they just added 30% to the heating model, for no reason. That alarms nobody huh?

Smith111

Global warming denial is a bunch of hazybullshit

Who is denying anything? All I did was post up a "study" that global warming alarmist site all the time. Just pointing out that study was wrong, and completely made up by the scientists and now has been corrected. Science, try it some time. :tiphat:

The next time somebody says global warming is stalled because the oceans have trapped all the heat, now we all know that was complete bullshit. Even the scientist that conducted the study admitted they made it up. It has now been officially changed to note the oceans have not absorbed the missing heat from the air. Complete global warming hysteria. Kind of like TJO, and is inability to think. Attacking me personally again because I posted a study. Just another useful idiot.

igrowone

Veteran
some follow up on theblaze article, here's a excerpt

The central problem, according to Keeling, came in how the researchers dealt with the uncertainty in their measurements. As a result, the findings suffer from too much doubt to definitively support the paper’s conclusion about how much heat the oceans have absorbed over time.
The central conclusion of the study — that oceans are retaining ever more energy as more heat is being trapped within Earth’s climate system each year — is in line with other studies that have drawn similar conclusions. And it hasn’t changed much despite the errors. But Keeling said the authors’ miscalculations mean there is a much larger margin of error in the findings, which means researchers can weigh in with less certainty than they thought.
on the whole, the studies conclusions aren't being repudiated
but there was a bona fida error found
this happens in science, perfection is elusive
in particular note - "The central conclusion of the study — that oceans are retaining ever more energy as more heat is being trapped within Earth’s climate system each year — is in line with other studies that have drawn similar conclusions."

Smith111

some follow up on theblaze article, here's a excerpt

The central problem, according to Keeling, came in how the researchers dealt with the uncertainty in their measurements. As a result, the findings suffer from too much doubt to definitively support the paper’s conclusion about how much heat the oceans have absorbed over time.
The central conclusion of the study — that oceans are retaining ever more energy as more heat is being trapped within Earth’s climate system each year — is in line with other studies that have drawn similar conclusions. And it hasn’t changed much despite the errors. But Keeling said the authors’ miscalculations mean there is a much larger margin of error in the findings, which means researchers can weigh in with less certainty than they thought.
on the whole, the studies conclusions aren't being repudiated
but there was a bona fida error found
this happens in science, perfection is elusive
in particular note - "The central conclusion of the study — that oceans are retaining ever more energy as more heat is being trapped within Earth’s climate system each year — is in line with other studies that have drawn similar conclusions."

Correct! You are getting down to the point I am trying to make. Not only was there a mistake, it was an obvious mistake that completely changes the study. Why wasn't this figured out before being published? How many people reviewed this study, before spewing it on every TV station fueling global warming devastation? The answers are, the scientist most likely did this on purpose, and nobody is regulating the "studies" that come out on global warming. Hence the reason some people doubt that global warming is as big a deal as the alarmist claim, like Al Gore.

Some people just say you are a science denier, if you challenge the findings of science. However that is just the scientific method, and anybody that thinks science is settled has missed the point completely. :tiphat:

igrowone

Veteran
... The answers are, the scientist most likely did this on purpose, and nobody is regulating the "studies" that come out on global warming. ... :tiphat:

there we differ
when errors are found they become fodder for the 'no global warming' faction
not a benefit to mainstream science, and they know that
perfection becomes the enemy of the good
and Al Gore is not a scientist, so pulling him in is muddying up the context

Smith111

there we differ
when errors are found they become fodder for the 'no global warming' faction
not a benefit to mainstream science, and they know that
perfection becomes the enemy of the good
and Al Gore is not a scientist, so pulling him in is muddying up the context

I actually listened to an interview with the guy who found the mistakes. He said, he likes to find studies that look off, and find why they are off. He said in this case, it seemed they made up the 30% increase in heat out of nowhere. That alone should alarm people. What alarms me more, is nobody caught it before it was churned out as fact.

That right there, is the main problem with SOME global warming alarmist. They have turned it into a religion, that nobody can challenge. When the reality is, science should always be challenged. :tiphat:

I have a hard time going back in time looking for accurate predictions of global warming. However I find it very easy to go back in time and find examples of global warming predictions that were so far off they are laughable. That to me, is enough to doubt the people putting out this nonsense. Just my opinion, which is not stating global warming is or is not happening, only the science has seemed flawed thus far. :tiphat:

I

Ignignokt

The coral reef in Australia is all turning white because of the temperature.... it doesn't take much to effect some sensitive parts of the environment.

Smith111

The coral reef in Australia is all turning white because of the temperature.... it doesn't take much to effect some sensitive parts of the environment.

This is not evidence of global warming. This is evidence in the shift in temps.

https://oceanservice.noaa.gov/facts/coral_bleach.html

What is coral bleaching?

Bleaching occurs because of temp swings, both cold and hot. In the last 10 years, the planet has observed both. "In January 2010, cold water temperatures in the Florida Keys caused a coral bleaching event that resulted in some coral death. Water temperatures dropped 12.06 degrees Fahrenheit lower than the typical temperatures observed at this time of year."

St. Phatty

Rush Limbaugh gets paid $50 Million a year,

to promote the belief that no matter how much Man kind pollutes,
e.g. with 10 square miles full of cyanide heap leaching in some South American country,

it won't have any effect on the Earth !

Let Rush drink water imported from a well downstream from Barrick's biggest South America pollution & poisoning facility.

If he was the President, I guess I couldn't say that ? :rtfo:

White Beard

Who is denying anything? All I did was post up a "study" that global warming alarmist site all the time. Just pointing out that study was wrong, and completely made up by the scientists and now has been corrected. Science, try it some time. :tiphat:
This reminds me of a time I was listening to Rush Limbaugh maybe 15-20 years ago.

He announced a new climate study with a long rant about how astonishing this study was, because the researchers said “right up front” that they don’t know what they were doing and had no idea what they were talking about, that they *admitted it up-front*....

Turns out I was already familiar with the study he was talking about: the preface to the report stated that the study had found warming trends worsening *much faster* than their models predicted, and that it showed the need for research into not just why but *how* the model was wrong, because better more accurate data would help us plan better for the future.

And now here you are with this...”Science” indeed.. you might try learning some. Waiting for you to show PROOF that the scientists “completely made up” their data - but not holding my breath.

“Smith111” said:
The next time somebody says global warming is stalled because the oceans have trapped all the heat, now we all know that was complete bullshit. Even the scientist that conducted the study admitted they made it up. It has now been officially changed to note the oceans have not absorbed the missing heat from the air. Complete global warming hysteria. Kind of like TJO, and is inability to think. Attacking me personally again because I posted a study. Just another useful idiot.
Speaking of idiots: I found fault with your opinion piece from the Blaze. That’s all.

Believe me, if I had attacked you personally, everyone reading this would know WITHOUT A DOUBT that I had done so....

kickarse

Not ALL of it but a lot of it is.

You know more about the GBR than the Great Barrier Reef Foundation?

Probably, the reef is going along as good as its always done
they used to harvest the corral in the 1800s and early 19oos
was bleaching than as well as now, the reef will be there long after all the humans have died out from stupidity

I

Ignignokt

Probably, the reef is going along as good as its always done
they used to harvest the corral in the 1800s and early 19oos
was bleaching than as well as now, the reef will be there long after all the humans have died out from stupidity

You sound just like a typical, full of sh*t 'know it all' moron TBH.

Everything in the world is made up, lies, deceit, shenanigans.... Except for you of course, a real straight shooter, telling it like it is, a true beacon of wisdom :bigeye: