What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Got Milk?

sunnydog

Drip King
Veteran
With the many benefits attributed to lacto bacilli, does anybody use milk/milk products in teas,compost soil, etc?
I have a bag of dried skim milk I want to use, just not sure of the best way.

SD
:tiphat:

Im interested also, used some Galigers 1% diluted on my house plants not very long ago, fungus knats moved in right away & now all plants are infested with the bastards.

Made the soil smell like spoiled milk.

Clackamas Coot

Veteran
With the many benefits attributed to lacto bacilli, does anybody use milk/milk products in teas,compost soil, etc?
I have a bag of dried skim milk I want to use, just not sure of the best way.

SD
:tiphat:
sunnydog

The lacto mother culture that many people use is EM-1 which is said to contain several lacto strains. Several months ago I looked at a site in New Zealand that was the official retailer of EM-1 and it listed the various strains.

I diligently looked them up and one of them (name I don't recall) is the very same strain used to make the Belgian Lambic wheat beer. Most beers around the world are brewed using Brewer's Yeast but Lambic beer is brewed using wild yeasts (beneficial indigenous microbes) and bacteria that are said to be native to the Senne Valley.

This specific strain is also the strain used in Bulgarian-style yogurt as well as Greek-style yogurt.

I'm not saying that it's a good thing to apply yogurt or beer to your garden's soil but there's more in common that one would think.

Sorry for the rambling! LOL

CC

MrFista

Veteran
The EM-1 also has yeasts. Fungi like to devour yeasts in vitro - methinks they eat them in the soil too. This topic is close to home for me, any suggestions for milk or by products very welcome.

RetroGrow

Veteran
I use skim milk, diluted one part milk to 9 parts water, as a foliar spray. The plants love it. It's also an anti fungal, and kills PM.
Plants perk up noticeably after a milk spray.

jaykush

dirty black hands
ICMag Donor
Veteran
dried milk can be lightly dusted as a top dressing, or mixed in with a ewc slurry. milk can be diluted ( down to about 5% total volume) and applied either as a foliar as mentioned above or as a soil drench. its good stuff. but best used in low ratios.

sunnydog

Drip King
Veteran
dried milk can be lightly dusted as a top dressing, or mixed in with a ewc slurry. milk can be diluted ( down to about 5% total volume) and applied either as a foliar as mentioned above or as a soil drench. its good stuff. but best used in low ratios.

Thanks!

GrinStick

i've heard it used as a foliar to mitigate mold issues, don't really know how it inhibits mold...is this what it is doing in the medium? (fighting mold and other pathogens?)

sunnydog

Drip King
Veteran
Do not put milk powder in a tea bubbler; it will foam, and foam, and foam, and foam!
Had to dump and start again!

Lesson learned.

SD:tiphat:

Scrappy4

Veteran
Is lacto b what gives us the benefits in using milk or is it lactic acid or some combonation of everything else in milk? For instance would a lacto b addition be as effective as whole milk? Or would the aminos, acids, proteins and what not in milk be better? scrappy

jaykush

dirty black hands
ICMag Donor
Veteran
well scrappy if you make the lacto b culture, it is much more concentrated than the lacto b in milk. as far as organisms go you will get more benefits from the lacto b culture. that being said i believe all the other goodies in milk like you mentioned also have beneficial effects. i know there are now some dairy farmers who sacrifice some of the milk they produce to spray there pastures with it. they say it increases the growth,health and nutrition of the plants and soil in the pasture MANY times. whenever my neighbor has extra milk from his cow that has gone a little south he gives it to me for spraying on the garden. a few days after the spray the plants are always nice and healthy and imo have a waxier outer leaf which imo deters pests.

sunnydog

Drip King
Veteran
Is lacto b what gives us the benefits in using milk or is it lactic acid or some combonation of everything else in milk? For instance would a lacto b addition be as effective as whole milk? Or would the aminos, acids, proteins and what not in milk be better? scrappy

I was hoping the milk sugar( Lactose) would provide proper nutrition for any existing lactic bacteria, as well as proteins and amino acids.

GrinStick

are plants capable of utilizing the various constituents of milk? the amino acids, the vitamins, the proteins, etc.?
could use some knowledge in this area....anyone?
we're really trying to feed the microbes in the soil, as the exudates from their metabolism is what our roots absorb as food. They do not absorb nutrients as is, the nutrients are converted to waste and that waste is absorbed for use(by the roots).
this is MY understanding of this process...if anyone has a better grasp of the facts, I'd like to hear from you!

I've heard of farmers spreading raw milk on their pastures @ 3 gallon per acre. You can dilute that into a 20 gallon solution. I don't believe any benefits were gained over the 3gpa threshold.

sunnydog

Drip King
Veteran
Microbes love milk!

Microbes love milk!

Microbes love milk!
That's why I thought some has gotta be good for the soil.:jump:
I've put a bag of dried in my compost tub once,the stench is indescribable!:puke:

SD:tiphat: