What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Freezing temps and seed crop?

Earlmarne

Ive got some real nice plants this last couple years. Put all the girls out with my uni poo male in a few spots. Then put a late blooming f13 male out with a varieagated f13 fem. they all need another week for fully mature seeds atleast. Problem is weather calls for 28 for a low on wed and then again a couple days later.
Im torn on if I should pull em and hope for a decent germ rate or ride out the weather?
Will the freezing destroy the seeds?

@hempy

The Haze Whisperer
As it freezes your seed may expand and crack as you need to dry harden seed before storage fridge or Freezer.

Bit like a coke can put it in the fridge fine freeze it pop.

I would harvest before the Freeze.

troutman

Seed Whore
As it freezes your seed may expand and crack as you need to dry harden seed before storage fridge or Freezer.

Bit like a coke can put it in the fridge fine freeze it pop.

I would harvest before the Freeze.

I have done that a many times early in life. :biggrin:

Mom would scream when she noticed soda all over the freezer. Even worse than cans
were the old glass soda bottles smashed. What a freaking mess. Then later on it was
beer bottles. Nice drinking beer with a few ice crystals on a hot Summer day.

Just don't forget them or somebody will scream at you too. :biggrin:

@hempy

The Haze Whisperer
I have done that a many times early in life. :biggrin:

Mom would scream when she noticed soda all over the freezer. Even worse than cans
were the old glass soda bottles smashed. What a freaking mess. Then later on it was
beer bottles. Nice drinking beer with a few ice crystals on a hot Summer day.

Just don't forget them or somebody will scream at you too. :biggrin:

I have done it my self think last summer even but as an adult were the ones cleaning the mess up now lol.

Koondense

Veteran
Seeds won't crack of course, they have too little water to crack. Also seeds will not even freeze because living plants keep higher temperatures to the surroundings, if it's not freezing for days.
I would not worry at all for the seeds, maybe would worryfor budrot instead which could get your seeds infected with mold.

Cheers

@hempy

The Haze Whisperer
Seeds that have not been dyed and hardened off will crack if frozen.

If they were ready to be stored long term and frozen once thawed you cant re freeze the seed again.

When liquid water is cooled, it contracts like one would expect until a temperature of approximately 4 degrees Celsius is reached. After that, it expands slightly until it reaches the freezing point, and then when it freezes it expands by approximately 9%.

You can even freeze cannabis seeds. For this option, you need to carefully freeze them in sealed bags, as well as correctly thawing them when it is time to use them.
Don’t forget, though, that freezing and thawing cannabis seeds will degrade their eventual quality because they become damaged by freezing. The cellular expansion that takes place when being frozen means that, if there is even a single gram of excess water in the seeds, they will gradually burst and break down.

Earlmarne

Think Ill pull the f13 as most are looking very dark, same with the peach skunk x unicorn poop. Letting the rest ride it out

Earlmarne

Really want my apple juice x ssh knocked up with uni poo to make it. That plant has about the most intense effects Ive had in my garden

Koondense

Veteran
Not sure how true is this Hempy, surely water expands when frozen but it takes really low temperatures to freeze other materials having water inside. For example dirty water freezes at far lower temps than clean water.
So I don't buy this explanation at least in case of a series of frosty nights, maybe in case of continued permanent frost during winter but this is not the case here.

Cheers

Earlmarne

Not sure how true is this Hempy, surely water expands when frozen but it takes really low temperatures to freeze other materials having water inside. For example dirty water freezes at far lower temps than clean water.
So I don't buy this explanation at least in case of a series of frosty nights, maybe in case of continued permanent frost during winter but this is not the case here.

Cheers
We are about to find out this week

Rembetis

Not true guys. Cannabis is an annual and as such evolved with frost cycles and winters. Not the Tropicals of course. Many plants actually require stratification in order to germinate. Putting seeds in the freezer accomplishes the same effect.

As far as buds go probably not going to turn out well but you were asking about seeds

Last edited:

Earlmarne

Not true guys. Cannabis is an annual and as such evolved with frost cycles and winters. Not the Tropicals of course. Many plants actually require stratification in order to germinate. Putting seeds in the freezer accomplishes the same effect.

As far as buds go probably not going to turn out well but you were asking about seeds
Yeah I pollenated the crap out of everything so nothing got giant and have plenty of flower from indoor. My outdoor this year was devoted to seed production 100%. Probably end up with a ton of keif though.
Took down an og3 that burns my eyes, a monster peach skunk, my keeper casaba and headbanger. Suckers are jam packed with seeds from the unicorn poop. Those and the F13 have me really excited to start searching through

Betterhaff

Veteran
If you’re really concerned about them and are able, throw a sheet or a tarp over them for the night. Won’t help if you get a hard, prolonged freeze but for a short dip in the cold it can help. Helps prevent the frost from settling on them and also helps in containing ground heat.

Earlmarne

Early germ tests prove positive. Let all go til 6 or 7 days ago.
The apple juice and the mystery plant had about 50/5@ on mature vs not but many of the lighter colored ones sprout so will keep them all.
So glad I did this. Im absolutely positive that I got some gems in em.
The f13 throwback has me very intrigued. Super strong effects, really old school strong terps and frost. Super varieagated also. Never seen that before. Ill be going through them real soon. Hopefully picking the late flowering/squat male was a good decision.... seeds seem to turn black as they mature. Super cool.
Im so impressed on how many seed Ive created.... any advice on processing? I let all dry completely and am breaking it up in the trim bin. Then picking out the seeds. Going to be a long job.

seeds are strange, some benefit from a multitude of environmental inputs and some will simply not perform when not exposed to precise conditions

like being passed through the gut of an animal,
or exposure to extreme temperatures
amongst other things undoubtedly

im sure cannabis is no exception in regards to the relationship landrace strains have to their specific locale for best results

luckily enough for us marijuana can be an extremely easy plant to grow especially with modern tools such as seed crackers and natural hormones like seaweed extracts etc.

i would agree with the advice that it is probably best to harvest before the freeze, keep the best seeds at a low but not freezing temperature in a sanitary location for best viability and longevity

good luck op

:)

Latest posts

Latest posts