What's new

Pollinating at night: does the dew make it difficult?

Treevly

Sometimes a close inspection of buds at night shows a lot of dew on buds. I think that I've had mixed results, enough that I pay attention to the relative humidity if am going out; however, I'm certainly not certain that it matters. Yes?
Thanks

thedudefresco

I pollinated some plants this year by hitting specific branches during late-preflower stage with the ol' pollen dipped fingerbang. lol. I repeated this twice over the course of several days and those buds are forming seeds no problem.

Water kills pollen but I would imagine dew is not enough to render the pollen no longer viable.

Still, if you are having mixed results, why not attempt pollination during the day when there isn't too much night dew? I'd imagine this is more natural anyhow as many pollinators are active during the day. But thats my broscience speaking.

Perhaps someone else will respond with a more granular answer; but my advice, while not exactly the answer you are looking for, would be to pollinate at a different time of day and or/repeat this several times.

"Let's try again, honey"

Treevly

Still, if you are having mixed results, why not attempt pollination during the day when there isn't too much night dew? I

I have to do everything at night for security reasons. Daytime is not impossible, but is very high-risk.

Thanks for the post & opinion. :yummy:

thedudefresco

I would use a q tip or cotton ball to very gently absorb some moisture before applying the pollen. I bet once the pollen makes good contact what’s done is done.

troutman

Seed Whore
I think pollen germinates and pollinates the embryo faster than water can deactivate it.
Plants will produce pollen all day long so the dew factor probably won't stop anything.

LizardMan

I do mine at night when the wind is still. And have high success, its usually from improper storage of pollen that leads to no pollination... From what I've gathered somewhere between 20 mins and 2 hours the deed is done and no amount of rain or water can stop the rest...

Latest posts

Latest posts