What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

High yielding, powerful strains - with mould tendency. What do big players do?

Treevly

If a strain (50/50 SAT/IND) scores very highly in both buzz and production quantity, but is quite susceptible outside to mould in autumn [due at least in part to big dense buds,] what would big producers think of such s strain? Would the mould be a complete end to consideration of the strain? Could indoor producers drop humidity & circulate enough air to protect against mould? Or might they say "we'll cross it with something and breed the mould out, even if we lose a % of production?" What do you think?
Thanks

bushed

In a controlled indoor environment mold isn't isn't really an issue even for strains that are highly susceptible out doors. So if the big player is an indoor grower they won't be to faised.

Koondense

Veteran
Topping for a bit smaller colas in bigger number and cover for rain, not much else you can do outdoors.

Indoors as said, if you have good control then mold issues should be minimal if any.
Outdoors also depends on location, climate, seasonal characteristics and so on, usually the outdoor strains are bred for some resistence.

Cheers

therevverend

Veteran
The way testing works now you can't have any mold in the garden or you fail. It would be too big of a risk. I know northern Cali growers who grow in partial shade, their ganja looks fine but they can't sell to dispensaries. Outside with de-humdifiers and hoop houses you can eliminate mold even in wet tropical climates.

hellfire

Regalia, its derived from milkweed if I remember right.

As far as breeding goes you can select future populations for mold resistance, or outcross like you said with something that has known mold resistance or will loosen the structure to be less prone to mold.

art.spliff

ICMag Donor
therevverend is right. In a recent Shaping Fire episode pest management in commercial cultivation was compared to tulips and roses or general landscape flowers and plants you may find on store shelves. One plant can be more of a wild type meaning it will survive the elements where it is grown. Likely the characteristics of a super cropping or very tasty potent plant require more attention and care especially if bugs like thc and cbd.

Treevly

As far as breeding goes you can select future populations for mold resistance, or outcross like you said with something that has known mold resistance or will loosen the structure to be less prone to mold.

That's an interesting point. Increasing mold resistance and ;loosening the structure' are not necessarily one and the same. It would be interesting to see if you could do A without doing B.

To everyone who replied: thanks for all the informed and helpful replies.

Treevly

Regalia.... Actinovate..... Eagle 20...... I see that there are all kinds of products aimed at molds and other problems. Here I go down the rabbit hole......

Tynehead Tom

grow smaller , well trained , well pruned plants and light dep control them so that the best part of the season is used for flowering.

therevverend

Veteran
Eh? I missed the point about partial shade. Does that encourage mould or make it more likely? Thanks
Partial shade increases the likelihood of mold and especially PM. The problem is that you can't see it. I'm guessing some of my stuff wouldn't pass when I have a bunch of rotting stuff in the garden. Too many spores floating around. The flowers look, smell, and taste fine but they'd be over the threshold which needs to be very low especially for medical patients.

I've read that boytritis is harmless when smoked, besides tasting like shit and destroying the THC. It won't make you sick or kill you, although I'd think it's harsh enough you'd be more likely to get an infection. It can cause an allergic reaction, 'winegrower's lung'.

Okay I did a search, there is one case of a healthy adult getting a boytritis infection in his lung. A Japanese man with diabetes. Still, considering that boytritis is everywhere that's low odds.

When I say 'destroying THC', boytritis appears to be able to metabolize it. Cannabinoids and terpenes can function as fungicides but they don't work against boytritis which gobbles them up.

Treevly

Thanks, that's interesting.

I'm guessing that plants resistant to mould have DNA from some part of the world where humidity is high and plants grew to be resistant to mould there. Are there strains which are dense, heavy, and resistant? Or maybe spacing is a strategy for the plant to avoid mould.