What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Mail in voting during the pandemic

EsterEssence

Veteran
Let the shit show begin. I have always gone to the polling place in person but with my age, and underlying conditions I’m thinking about mail in voting. It seems to be a hot topic, with the talk of fraud, but the evidence is just not there. I think more people will vote if they can vote by mail. I can’t understand why people have to wait for hours to vote, especially with a pandemic raging in our country. A new post office general has been appointed, so we will see if they slow the mail down, or get ready for the election...

I wood

MI has a good alternative, I just dropped off mail in ballot at county clerks office.
No poll crowds or worries about post office.

X

xavier7995

Going to vote is a pretty fun/worthwhile experience, but I really don't see it as necessary. We have vote by mail here in CO, it works great and is easy. One thing I really like about it is if there is something on the ballot you don't know about, being at home allows you to look it up and make your decision.

Zeez

---------------->
ICMag Donor
I got the application on line, printed it, filled it out, scanned it and then called the town clerks office to get an email address. An hour later I had an email receipt confirmation. Three days later I got a primary ballot in the mail.

Less time than driving to the polls.

CosmicGiggle

Veteran
I prefer voting in-person, this time I prolly won't make up my mind until the very last minute and so much can happen between the time you mail your vote in and the actual election.

Also, the more individuals whose hands touch your vote, the greater the possibility of it going missing!

I'm thinking, I'm a Liberal from up North living in the South, what if I have a BLM sign on my yard and the old mail carrier (possibly Republican) picks up my ballot, what if the younger carrier (possibly Dem) picks it up?

I don't trust any other human with having access to my ballot, the probability of mischief is just too great.:hotbounce

St. Phatty

i prefer voting in person, but the practice where i live -

the County Clerk gives all the voter info away, for free.

doesn't even charge for it.

Manager at a mail box place told me, for sure, i will get more junk mail if i register to vote.

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
IMHO, an absentee ballot, means you are absent from "your state" and thus unable to vote for one reason or another.

X

xavier7995

I prefer voting in-person, this time I prolly won't make up my mind until the very last minute and so much can happen between the time you mail your vote in and the actual election.

Also, the more individuals whose hands touch your vote, the greater the possibility of it going missing!

I'm thinking, I'm a Liberal from up North living in the South, what if I have a BLM sign on my yard and the old mail carrier (possibly Republican) picks up my ballot, what if the younger carrier (possibly Dem) picks it up?

I don't trust any other human with having access to my ballot, the probability of mischief is just too great.:hotbounce

Worth noting, I dont believe we can mail them back in here in CO, there are mailbox like drop boxes around so the delivery is anonymous.

armedoldhippy

Veteran
A new post office general has been appointed, so we will see if they slow the mail down, or get ready for the election...

too late, mail is already being slowed. housing projects in bigger cities have already reported mail being held for days; no SS checks, unemployment checks, payroll, nothing for 5 & 6 days at a time. chumps buddy working hard to make sure mail-in ballots do not get delivered in time for poor folks to vote. are you folks surprised? i'm not...

CosmicGiggle

Veteran
Not sure it's related to mail-in votes. Everything I've received since early April has been 3 days late, more likely Covid related now but I'm sure trump will do everything in his power to assist!;)

Cannavore

Veteran
good thing i got a mail in ballot cause im not waking up and going to stand in line for biden

BOMBAYCAT

Veteran
Is there a drop off ballot box anywhere close to you? I am going to use the one at a drivers license place only a couple miles away from me. My legs are toast so I am not planning on standing in line. The last time I did that it took a couple hours.

Amynamous

good thing i got a mail in ballot cause im not waking up and going to stand in line for biden

Do they have early voting where you live?

The thing that worries me about mail in ballots is that my signature is not consistent.
I’ve read stories where mail in ballots are rejected if signatures don’t match perfectly.

packerfan79

Veteran
Let the shit show begin. I have always gone to the polling place in person but with my age, and underlying conditions I’m thinking about mail in voting. It seems to be a hot topic, with the talk of fraud, but the evidence is just not there. I think more people will vote if they can vote by mail. I can’t understand why people have to wait for hours to vote, especially with a pandemic raging in our country. A new post office general has been appointed, so we will see if they slow the mail down, or get ready for the election...

it has more to do with the recent calamities in mail in voting. New York has primaries that still don't have a winner 7 weeks later.

Do you want to wait till days before inauguration before you find out who won?

I figure since mask are so effective. Have some I voted 2020 masks that are passed out in the parking lot. If I can work 6 days a week, throughout the pandemic. You can go vote with a mask.

packerfan79

Veteran
too late, mail is already being slowed. housing projects in bigger cities have already reported mail being held for days; no SS checks, unemployment checks, payroll, nothing for 5 & 6 days at a time. chumps buddy working hard to make sure mail-in ballots do not get delivered in time for poor folks to vote. are you folks surprised? i'm not...

Pretty sure no one has gotten an actual check from unemployment this century. Lol. You must still be working too.

Pelosi working hard for ballot harvesting. At the expense of the American people.

Amynamous

I suspect that polling places/times will be reduced in many places due to staffing issues. They tend to be staffed with volunteers from the League of (much, much older) Women voters and frankly, i think they’ll collectively take a year off from staffing the polling places.

hubcap

StackinCalyxs
Veteran
I'm skeptical.
Every election you have 'issues' with ballots disappearing or being mis-tabulated.
To say the 'proof' of fraud isn't there, I feel, is a bit misleading.
Its just not reported on. Or the election win is so wide, there is really no issue.
I don't feel that is going to be the case with this one.
No matter who wins, its going to be a dead heat until the last vote is counted, and, I feel, the best way to mitigate "gamesmanship" is to show up, in person, prove your identity (and in some states eligibility to vote) and have your voice heard in that manner. Now, I understand that this scenario might put SOME people at a disadvantage, and require mail in ballot, I don't think that number is so high as to mandate a total mail-in election.
Covid, or not. If we can have sports, and kids in school, and grocery shopping, we can have in person voting.

Just my take which Im SURE many will disagree with.
But, if you want an "issue-free" election (or as close to it as we can) then going, IN PERSON, is the way to mitigate the tomfoolery as much as possible.

Again....just one opinion of many. But, I feel, a rational an non-partisan view.

-cap

Badfishy1

I'm skeptical.
Every election you have 'issues' with ballots disappearing or being mis-tabulated.
To say the 'proof' of fraud isn't there, I feel, is a bit misleading.
Its just not reported on. Or the election win is so wide, there is really no issue.
I don't feel that is going to be the case with this one.
No matter who wins, its going to be a dead heat until the last vote is counted, and, I feel, the best way to mitigate "gamesmanship" is to show up, in person, prove your identity (and in some states eligibility to vote) and have your voice heard in that manner. Now, I understand that this scenario might put SOME people at a disadvantage, and require mail in ballot, I don't think that number is so high as to mandate a total mail-in election.
Covid, or not. If we can have sports, and kids in school, and grocery shopping, we can have in person voting.

Just my take which Im SURE many will disagree with.
But, if you want an "issue-free" election (or as close to it as we can) then going, IN PERSON, is the way to mitigate the tomfoolery as much as possible.

Again....just one opinion of many. But, I feel, a rational an non-partisan view.

-cap

80k ballots were deemed ‘ineligible’ in the NY race packer referenced. Trump won by less than 80k votes in 3 or 4 swing states in ‘16...
nadler seemed to agree in ‘04

https://www.c-span.org/video/?c4877...004-paper-ballots-extremely-susceptible-fraud