What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Can we have the 60's back, please?

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
Get back to when the biggest problem was the draft board, getting laid, and having a fast car. All the women were on birth control, halter tops were the style. Before the damn "Leggs" pantyhose came out, back when our money was silver and backed by gold.

https://youtu.be/Pq2fWieZ0fg

Somebody ought to put together a 60's playlist for the old hippies around here. Actually a guy could pull up the top 100 hits from each year and have plenty to bring back the good ole daze with. I sure do...

Can't help it, one more...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZVgNwD14pA

Last edited:

Tudo

Troublemaker
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hey Man, visit Doo Wop Friday Night next week for the beginning of a 60's special we've been working on and are still somewhat bewildered as to how to air it all, it's a lot more complex a time than the 50's not to mention huge in terms of sheer depth heh. Going to start friday night and see how it goes. If it's anywhere near the popularity that the 30's/40's Big Band/Swing was a couple months ago already then we may have to talk to the boss about some space :whee: ( no not that space )

So be there or be square this friday night! :friends:

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
Yeah - some/few of us remember the 60's - 8 inch black and white TV with only 3 channels (BBC1 - BBC2 - and ITV) - listening to Radio Caroline under the covers at night on a small transistor radio - covertly listening to music I couldn't hear anywhere else -

- Radio Caroline is a British radio station founded in 1964 by Ronan O'Rahilly initially to circumvent the record companies' control of popular music broadcasting in the United Kingdom and the BBC's radio broadcasting monopoly. Unlicensed by any government for most of its early life, it was a pirate radio station that never became illegal as such due to operating outside any national jurisdiction,although after the Marine Offences Act (1967) it became illegal for a British subject to associate with it.

- The Radio Caroline name was used to broadcast from international waters, using five different ships with three different owners, from 1964 to 1990, and via satellite from 1998 to 2013. Since 19 August 2000, Radio Caroline has also broadcast 24 hours a day via the internet and by the occasional restricted service licence. Currently they also broadcast on DAB radio in certain areas of the UK: these services are part of the Ofcom small-scale DAB+ trials. Caroline can be heard on DAB+ in Aldershot, Birmingham, Cambridge, Brighton, Glasgow, Norwich, London, Portsmouth, Poulton-le-Fylde and Woking.

- In May 2017, Ofcom awarded the station an AM band community licence to broadcast to Suffolk and north Essex; full-time broadcasting, via a previously redundant BBC World Service transmitter mast at Orford Ness, commenced on 22 December 2017.

- Radio Caroline broadcasts music from the 1960s to contemporary, with an emphasis on album-orientated rock (AOR) and "new" music from "carefully selected albums". On 1 January 2016, a second channel was launched called Caroline Flashback, playing pop music from the late 1950s to the early 1980s.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radio_Caroline

* Would be great if TUDO can do a regular 60's musical evening -

Cvh

Supermod
Don't forget the constant threat of a nuclear attack or the invasion of Communists.

Just trying to say not to look through a to pink glasses and being to nostalgic.

Mr. J

The world is the shithole it is today because of you filthy, degenerate hippies. Thanks a lot.

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
- Nope - never was a 'Hippy' - although my Mum kinda thought she was - had the hair and kaftan - burned Nag Champa - and listened to alot of Donovan and Cat Stevens she did -

The world is the shithole it is today because of you filthy, degenerate hippies. Thanks a lot.

Ringodoggie

Premium user
420giveaway
I'll say one thing. The 60's generation sure changed from Peace and Love to Hate and Road Rage in half a century.

I remember hitch-hiking to California to get my head together in the 60's. I was picked up by all kinds of people including families and young women. My guess is that wouldn't happen today. LOL More than likely, I would be walking the entire way. LOL Sad, but true.

And, you could fuck strange women without having to wrap up in fucking rubbers.

And, gasoline was 30 cents a gallon so you could CRUISE............ all day long in your 60's muscle car. New Goodyear raised white letter tires were only about 40 bucks each. I just bought new tires for my Cadi and they were 800 fucking dollars.

I am into technology so I love the 21st century for the THINGS it offers. But, the people have turned into hateful, ugly, trolls. For years, I used to say that everyone should be like me. Now, that everyone is like me, I wish I had not said it. Oops, too late.

The good news is, I'll be dead soon so I'm not going to see to much more of the hate that has become the norm in the world today. Can't say I'll miss it. Funny, with all the killing I have done in my life, I never hated in my heart the way people do today.

When my team finally found me and recovered me from the camp where I spent 18 months being beat and tortured every day, I killed every single man in that camp. The "Colonel" (these guys were not real military and they gave themselves 'rank' just to be cool.) who was in charge of the camp was still alive when I cut his heart out of his fucking chest and held it up to show his men before I killed each and every one of them... one at a time.

During that time, I never felt the hate and ugliness that I see normal Americans expressing when simply talking about the President or something like wearing masks.

You people are fucked up and you better change. Or, none of you are any better than me. In fact, worse.

/rant sorry

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
WTF is with this dead soon BS Mr. Ringodoggie? We are all dying, but what's the hurry?

You must have made it out to SoCal and decided the world is ending, cause that place is way whacked out these daze.

What made you so special that they kept you alive, and where was this (unless you still can't say because it is LAOS).

Cvh

Supermod
WTF is with this dead soon BS Mr. Ringodoggie? We are all dying, but what's the hurry?

You must have made it out to SoCal and decided the world is ending, cause that place is way whacked out these daze.

What made you so special that they kept you alive, and where was this (unless you still can't say because it is LAOS).

One day, when he's completely fed up with the world he'll cut out his own heart and show it to himself.
(Please don't kill me, I'm only joking). Lol

White Beard

Yeah...guys like *you* are the reason everything ‘used to be’ great...a sad day when rednecks started smoking dope & thinking *that* made them cool

Tudo

Troublemaker
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Don't forget this friday night, more 60's at Doo Wop friday night!

Ringodoggie

Premium user
420giveaway
One day, when he's completely fed up with the world he'll cut out his own heart and show it to himself.
(Please don't kill me, I'm only joking). Lol

I would but...... I don't have a heart. Or, so I've been told. LOL

I have no idea how old I am or how old I was in the 60's. I was stolen/abandoned/kidnapped/thrown away/sold/whatever as an infant. I was told that it's possible I was born in Italy and made way to America on one of the many military ships that were going back and forth in those days. Something about some papers or something that was found with me when I was found. I'm probably early 70's.

I came to live with a black woman that I only called Manny. She was my Mom as far as I knew. She was a spitting image of Aunt Jemima. Down to the slippers and the apron. Not sure if she stole me or found me or whatever but I spent the first 5 or 6 years with her. We lived in the hood with a brother named Jameso and a sister named Hessikia. My last name was Richardson. There were other kids who were in and out over the years but I think Jameso and Hessikia were here only birth children. She seemed to just take in the rest and take care of us all.

I didn't really notice all that much that I was the only white kid in the neighborhood. Racism had not made the mainstream yet and we had no TV or really any news from outside the hood so black and white was really no big deal. In fact, Manny, the woman who loved me and held me in her arms every night and understood me used to call me her "little white nigger". Which is why I weep when I hear people say nigger is a bad word. It's not the word. It's the feeling in the heart. And, I'm quite sure that Manny didn't have anything but love in her heart when she called me that. In fact, I didn't even have a real name. Everyone just called me "the white boy". "Where do da white boy live?" Who wants the white boy on their team."

One day, some men in suits came. They had been there before and each time they left, Manny would be crying and upset. She would hold me so tight she would almost squeeze the air right out of me.

She wouldn't open the door but the men had police with them and they were kicking down the door.

Manny tried to hide me in the cupboard under the sink but the men found me and took me away. They took me away from the only Mother I had ever known. The only person in my life who showed me love and understanding. They tore me from her screaming, crying arms and I never saw her again. Or, my Brother or Sister. Ever.

The men tried to explain to me why they had to take me away. They didn't say it was because she was black and having a white child without the proper papers and not sending him to school (Manny home schooled us all) was totally unacceptable in those days. No, they didn't tell me that. They told me that it was because she was the "WRONG" color. As if nature had made some terrible error when it created black people. And, that white people were the RIGHT color. THAT is why I was taken away from my Mother and family.

You have no idea how much and for how long I hated white people. Pretty much still do. But, now it has mellowed to a general disappointment in all people. Not just whites. LOL

Sorry, got off on another rant. LOL

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
- What a story Ringo - I can relate - and have seen something similar happen with my own Mum and family - who would take any stray kids in - at the drop of a hat - if they were abandoned, orphaned or lost - till she became a 'Registered Child Minder' - or a 'Foster Mum' - and one day this purported 'Chief' from Ghana showed up at our little terraced house in south London - full of kids and pets/animals - with two of his sons (he said) - already our house had 6 kids a Mum 3 dogs, two rabbits and a hamster living there - I was around 7 years old at the time -

- Tayo was about 5 years old and Ulu was 3 at the time - the Chief in his fine African robes (and fancy Mercedes outside) paid my Mum to look after his 2 sons for a month - and said he would be back next month to pay her again - if he wanted them to stay -

- Well one month went by - then two months - and the Chief didn't show up - not even after 3 months - but my Mum still took care of these two boys - and quite soon - they became part of the family -

Mum had been given a phone number to contact the Chief - but when she tried it - it never worked - and she could not make contact - so figured that she had been given a fake number by the Chief - and he had effectively dumped his kids on my Mum - and deserted them - for what reason - we would never-ever know -

- Anyway - after getting Tayo and later Ulu into local schools - the social services started snooping around and asking questions- so my Mum told them what had happened - and at first they agreed to let Ulu and Tayo stay with us - and pay Mum to look after them - but after 5 years the social services took the two Ghanaian boys away and put them in a state children's home - because they said that our 3 bedroom house was too small for all the kids there - and Mum didn't have enough space for us all - talk about emotional - when we found out that we were going to lose our two brothers - it was like tearing the family apart - and we grieved -

- Over the years we have managed to stay in contact - Tayo and Ulu still tried to be close to the only Mum they had ever really known - and would run away from these awful children's homes they were put in - and show up at our door from time to time - but were always taken back -

- For the 5 years that those very black kids were with us - we never saw any what you would call 'racism' - our family was already a mix of Indians and Gypsy's - and two black boys were more something that was considered exotic and different to the majority of white people around us -

I would but...... I don't have a heart. Or, so I've been told. LOL

I have no idea how old I am or how old I was in the 60's. I was stolen/abandoned/kidnapped/thrown away/sold/whatever as an infant. I was told that it's possible I was born in Italy and made way to America on one of the many military ships that were going back and forth in those days. Something about some papers or something that was found with me when I was found. I'm probably early 70's.

I came to live with a black woman that I only called Manny. She was my Mom as far as I knew. She was a spitting image of Aunt Jemima. Down to the slippers and the apron. Not sure if she stole me or found me or whatever but I spent the first 5 or 6 years with her. We lived in the hood with a brother named Jameso and a sister named Hessikia. My last name was Richardson. There were other kids who were in and out over the years but I think Jameso and Hessikia were here only birth children. She seemed to just take in the rest and take care of us all.

I didn't really notice all that much that I was the only white kid in the neighborhood. Racism had not made the mainstream yet and we had no TV or really any news from outside the hood so black and white was really no big deal. In fact, Manny, the woman who loved me and held me in her arms every night and understood me used to call me her "little white nigger". Which is why I weep when I hear people say nigger is a bad word. It's not the word. It's the feeling in the heart. And, I'm quite sure that Manny didn't have anything but love in her heart when she called me that. In fact, I didn't even have a real name. Everyone just called me "the white boy". "Where do da white boy live?" Who wants the white boy on their team."

One day, some men in suits came. They had been there before and each time they left, Manny would be crying and upset. She would hold me so tight she would almost squeeze the air right out of me.

She wouldn't open the door but the men had police with them and they were kicking down the door.

Manny tried to hide me in the cupboard under the sink but the men found me and took me away. They took me away from the only Mother I had ever known. The only person in my life who showed me love and understanding. They tore me from her screaming, crying arms and I never saw her again. Or, my Brother or Sister. Ever.

The men tried to explain to me why they had to take me away. They didn't say it was because she was black and having a white child without the proper papers and not sending him to school (Manny home schooled us all) was totally unacceptable in those days. No, they didn't tell me that. They told me that it was because she was the "WRONG" color. As if nature had made some terrible error when it created black people. And, that white people were the RIGHT color. THAT is why I was taken away from my Mother and family.

You have no idea how much and for how long I hated white people. Pretty much still do. But, now it has mellowed to a general disappointment in all people. Not just whites. LOL

Sorry, got off on another rant. LOL

White Beard

Ringo, Gypsy - you both reach deep into me with your stories. I can’t relate precisely, but...I have my own.

I was born to white people during the Korean ‘war’, when Jim Crow and segregation truly were The Law, and evening though we were poor, we could afford to have black women leave their families to come take care of ours. I remember little about what it was like before I was 5, but around then they hired a woman who worked for us for several years. HER I remember: my first experience of feeling loved and cared about; my happiest memories of childhood - my only genuinely clear memories - all included her. What love, what joy, what care and interest I ever got from an adult (except for my reading skills), I got from her: *she* was that adult; to this day, I am more *her* child than I am my parents’.

I never knew what caused them to fire her: children were given orders and expectations back then, not explanations, but fire her they did, and the fight that followed is one my life never recovered from...white boys running away from home to live with the maid, telling his white parents they weren’t his REAL parents...an exercise in futility of the worst kind.

When I ran out of rope and returned to my parents house, they took me back in - but they NEVER forgave me. It was held against me until they died when I was in my 40s. In the intervening years, I got the full racist catechism...and resented the priests of supremacy and all their bullshit. Let’s just say I have NEVER been afraid of black people, *ever*; never been afraid to be alone in a black-only area, of black co-workers, black anybody, right on down the line; but I have never trusted ‘white people’, because they’ve never given me a reason to consider them trustworthy. Individuals, yes, but as a group? Not a chance. I have mourned the loss of ‘my real mom’ my whole life, learned to love if not trust my birth parents, and I’ve made my way among white society as well as I’ve been able...and overall it’s been a bitter, disillusioning experience.

I feel deeply about what y’all have gone through, I have tears in my eyes typing this. Just trying to say that - to the extent I’m able - I get it. I wish none of it had ever happened to any of us, which of course makes no difference at all to anything.

Thank you both for sharing what you have.

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
- Nope - never was a 'Hippy' - although my Mum kinda thought she was - had the hair and kaftan - burned Nag Champa - and listened to alot of Donovan and Cat Stevens she did -

LOL. I have to ask, did you change your name to GN, or ?? Cause that is a hippy name if there ever was one!