What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Random questions regarding cannabutter

Danimal Cracker

Just a few questions about cannabutter that I couldn't find the answers to.

1) Is it necessary to CURE the buds before making cannabutter?

2) Is it necessary to grind and/or break up the buds before cooking infusing the cannabutter?

I plan to use a 50/50 water/butter ratio. My concern is that I don't have a cheesecloth and I'm trying to go for max potency while avoiding the plant matter issue.

Sunshineinabag

I once caught my brother jerking off w cannabutter in an unrelated story.....
I'm sure someone will be along shortly to awenser your question diligently ....I'm a strumpet for impulse

Ringodoggie

Premium user
420giveaway
1) No, it it not necessary to cure pot before using it in edibles. However, the pot must be decarboxylated before using with edibles.

2. It's probably better to break it up, yes. Depending on the method it will provide more exposure. However, I believe it's bad to 'grind' your pot first. Something about chlorophyll.

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
If you mean for the weed to dry gradually in "curing", no it is not necessary making your butter. I use ABV, which has been ground. By breaking up the flower you expose more of the oily heads. Stirring and the water boiling, will break down the material into a mush. Strainer screen is all I use when separating the liquid from the plant matter.

I will say I do not think that you need to decarb the flower, since it will be at 212*f for hours as it soaks.

After you leave the liquid in the fridge overnight, when you separate the chunk of butter from the nasty water, you will see a layer of nastiness on the bottom of the butter, where the butter interfaced with the nasty water. I scrape off this layer under running hot water, until the bottom side of the butter is as clean as the top.

Wrap it in saran, put in a container, chunk in the freezer.

Last edited:

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
1) No, it it not necessary to cure pot before using it in edibles. However, the pot must be decarboxylated before using with edibles.

2. It's probably better to break it up, yes. Depending on the method it will provide more exposure. However, I believe it's bad to 'grind' your pot first. Something about chlorophyll.

... and that is why we cure our weed before hand. Serve no wine before its time! :tiphat:

Latest posts

Latest posts