What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Do you point your fans up or down in your tent?

The123321

Do you point the fans you use for circulation in the tent up or down in the tent? I am not talking about the exhaust fan. I have a 32x32 tent with the 240w kingbrite quantum board led and the driver for the quantum board is outside the tent and the temperature in the tent is like 81 - 83f on there. I have 4 clip on fans in the tent with 2 pointing up and 2 pointing down though I am wondering if the fans pointing down are moving hot air down from the led to the plants and I wonder if having the fans pointing up instead would help with temperature in the tent. I want really good air flow to prevent the mold on there. Would you recommend having all the fans pointing up in the tent on there?

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
Mine are held on the back anf front walls, blowing towards the sidewalls at a slight angle. One ihs higher that the other. Tent temp is taken at canopy.

starke

I have two 12" oscillating fans for circulation. One in a front corner of the room located slightly above the canopy and pointed down towards the tops. The second sits on the floor under the plants at the back of the room, pointed up towards the canopy.

The123321

Thanks. I have 2 fans pointed up from a low height blowing the air up under the buds on there. Then you think that for the different 2 fans that blowing the air from the side of the top of the plants would be a better way to do it than blowing it down from high up in the tent on there?

Last edited:

starke

Thanks. I have 2 fans pointed up from a low height blowing the air up under the buds on there. Then you think that for the different 2 fans that blowing the air from the side of the top of the plants would be a better way to do it than blowing it down from high up in the tent on there?

I'm sure the fan I have on top of the canopy is re-mixing some of the warm air from the lights back into circulation, but my canopy temps largely remain between 82F and 85F - perfect for my LEDs.

I only ran fans under the canopy initially, thinking like you that is was better to have the fans directing hot air upwards towards the exhaust.

Then I experienced my first case of bud rot and all bets were off. Fans top and bottom from then on.

wutwut

Veteran
winner@420giveaway
is it better to point one powerful circullation fan to the same side where is exhaust fan? or to the other side for getting that tent air so mixed in it?

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
blowing at the plants.

a few times I have mounted oscillating fans blowing down onto the plants.
I as well but it is more of a gentle breeze e.g barely moving the canopy. It strengthens the stalk. The way I have my fans set up now...

picture.php
They can blow straight up! I don't use that feature.

(facing the door) The fan that blows against the left wall (from the back wall) is 2/3 the way down from the ceiling at a 30 deg angle, causes the air to bounce. The 2nd fan (about a foot of the ceiling, against the front wall, blows against the right hand wall. Once again at a 30 deg angle. Air circulation is CCW (not that that is important) but air current shows slight movement in the plants, and I mean slight. Showing me the plant have air movement happening at pot/canopy level.

Draw a sketch of the explanation, air flow directly hits the wall at an angle (30 deg), causing it to bounce downward (floor level) which in turn bounces up.

Dependent on set up, blowing directly on the plants can create "wind burn". Hope this helps :tiphat:

Addendum: I believe that the proper VPD at all growing conditions is the key to success and preventing bud rot vice insufficient air circulation.

Latest posts

Latest posts