What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Plants appear to be thriving. Hose water ph comes to 8.5

thedudefresco

So, outdoors I have 3 10 feet tall plants. They appear to be doing well.

I use lots of amendments in my soil. I tested my water out of the tap (hose) today and its 8.5 very high!

Do you think my soil is correcting this ph and im all guccii?

h.h.

Veteran
Sounds like it’s working.

If you’re in the ground with good drainage, it just passes through. If you consistently do light surface watering, you may get salt buildup. Irrigate and wash it out.

You may have a caliche layer.
Mojave or high plains.

'Boogieman'

I have similar water and my plants are thriving. One thing I sometimes run into is a magnesium deficiency due to the high calcium levels of my water but nothing a little epsome salts can't fix.

TheDarkStorm

Yes the life in good living soil usually getts the ph to a point the plants are able to use very well..mother nature has been taking care of her stuf along long time.

T

Teddybrae

You're all fucking gucci, Mate. You can hardly hurt the fuckers once they get that big. The water's seemingly high pH is probably a benefit to balance the invitable acidification that occurs in longer term gardens.
Just make sure it's clean under the plants. Clean up all yr dead leaves. Keep the trunk boll bare of leaves and bits at all times.
Even gently dust hydrated lime under yr bushes (not a lot ... DUST right?) every now and then to kill mould, fusarium spores.
I just saw my first mould of the season yesterday. It was on a Hindu Kush though.

Chevy cHaze

Out Of Dankness Cometh Light
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Yeah if your microherd in the soil is living its best life you can almost pour anything on them and they'll deal with it and the plants will thrive.

Good luck
CC

40degsouth

Hey everyone,
wow, what a bump Chevy!!
I’m dealing with exactly the same ph in my water.
My thoughts on it are that l can sulphur my beds (400-1000 gallons if soil) with a handful of elemental to the square meter, once every two years and two handfuls of gypsum every year to the square meter. This mitegates the sulphate of potash and epsom salts that l water on because the gypsum sequesters salts out of the medium (and heaps of other sciency wiency stuff) ( We need to remember that a higher ph means more calcium in the water)
Tom Hill said he’d take calcium over magnesium any day!! (He’s about now)
I believe I’m really lucky to have a plant available calcium source in my water.
Boogiemans onto it and the plant itself has a sciency wiency way of creating its own perfect ph around its roots by excreting exudates that help it buffer ph and grow.
Check out “Microbe Man’s” “Root Exudate” thread.
Cheers,

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
If you do what troutman says, your plants will kick ass and produce a lot frosty buds in the next 2 months. 😎

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
If you do what troutman says, your plants will kick ass and produce a lot frosty buds in the next 2 months. 😎

I sort of support what you are saying but, I'll wait for a reply from OP here. Let me explain why... his # is definitely out of wack, 3 girls 10ft tall, they didn't get that way on their own amidst 8.5 H2O. So leaning on solely on an old saying, if it ain't phoqued, don't phoque with it, comes to mind, then again. Would his girls benefit from Trouts recommendation, I believe they might. I have never grown outdoors, so I don't know there behaviour outdoors. We also know that weed as also grown in ditches etc... Who knows? :tiphat:

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
I have dipped out of creeks for many years and filled up 45 gallon trash cans with water (100s of times). The creeks are running and percolate over alkaline ground and so I would get pH readings in the 8s. Yes the plants would still grow, and grow well using this creek water. However my flowers always lacked resin and smoked like commercial weed. The weed was ok and I liked it, but It just didn't have the top shelf smells and taste like I wanted. When I lowered the pH around 7 or 6.8 everything changed. The weed got very frosty and sticky and so much better and I believe the yield doubled. After learning that important growing lesson with water, I always adjusted my water pH, even in the wilderness! 😎