What's new

Cloning versus revegging

Kindest

I've read plenty on both topics, but still wonder about the difference. Is revegging just a lazy man's cloning or will you get different (quality and structure similarity) from the two methods?

For someone working with limited space and growing from seed it seems wasteful to clone a plant that you haven't been through the full cycle with or tested.

Thoughts? Experience?

B. Friendly

"IBIUBU" Sayeith the Dude
Veteran
imagine people not having babies and we just kinda died off and out of us came new life from our rotting bodies that are old, worn out and frankly decaying...

now with a plant you have had chemical structures and singnals designed to go from one stage to another, when the stage is over the plant and its evolutionary design are set to do something in a fixed process. That process does not include re-vegging after the plant is designed to die off...

give it a try since your space is limited but do a side by side compare with new seed or clones and you be the judge!!!

Kindest

imagine people not having babies and we just kinda died off and out of us came new life from our rotting bodies that are old, worn out and frankly decaying...

now with a plant you have had chemical structures and singnals designed to go from one stage to another, when the stage is over the plant and its evolutionary design are set to do something in a fixed process. That process does not include re-vegging after the plant is designed to die off...

give it a try since your space is limited but do a side by side compare with new seed or clones and you be the judge!!!

Awesome point - but what about revegging a plant long enough to take new clones from it? Will that new clone be the same as the original plant?

I.e. plant from seed > reveg > clone

Will take longer but then you're only keeping plants you're already familiar with.

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
revegging takes forever, cloning takes a couple of weeks. dna + evironment equals plant, revegging doesn't change dna nor does cloning.

RB56

Veteran
Another option is taking cuttings late in flower. I did this my first time through in an effort to just have one grow/light space. It sort of works but also takes forever, like a month or two to get things really going. That's a long time to nurse things along leaving you vulnerable to all sorts of problems.

Those first generation clones were never really normal but clones from them were fine. The whole process made me realize that I had to rethink my setup and have separate veg and flower areas. It's much easier and much more efficient.

It was fascinating watching the cutting I took at 10 weeks try to sort themselves out. Almost seemed like they were shooting out random structures to see what would take.

Budley Doright

Veteran
I actually think cloning is the lazy mans cloning....

Reveg is a pain in the ass....

Well maybe not so bad...

I normally end up revegging a few plants every year...

If Im going to reveg Ill pick aas early as I can.... then when Im harvesting I remove the buds from the plant... but leave a few branches with one or two large leaves....

Your intention is to regrow as low as possible...

When the lower parts start to reveg... those branches with a couple leaves can be trimmed back.... Its the same concept of a nurse branch.......

I think that some folks trim the plants back leaving no leaves or too few.....

wildgrow

, The Ghost of
Veteran
Awesome point - but what about revegging a plant long enough to take new clones from it?
If you want to do this, make a mother. The space and energy requirements for 1 or 2 mothers can be quite small.

I cant do this myself. So clone 2 weeks before you flip to flower. If they make it- great! If they dont, you can still take more just before and even early on in 12/12. If these dont make it you have to revisit your cloning methods.

When you clone you can have plants ready to flower as soon as the present round is chopped.

When re-vegging I'll:

Harvest the meds leaving lower green for photosynthesis. Flush the the root ball well, remove rootball, slice the 7 gallon rootball down to fit in a 2 gallon pot (with a little room for fresh soil) Add shaved rootball to the new pot, fill with the fresh soil, water it in, fill voids...veg cycle for a few weeks, normal feeding schedule for veg growth.

Provides healthy, 'ready to rock-n-roll' shoots for cloning.

Re-vegging seems to stunt ultimate height of the re-veg, but provides a (generally) more compact plant. Clones grow 'normal'.

Been doing this for about 8 years now. Those that say it's a garbage technique, must have never invested the time to try and make it work. Clones and seedlings can be just as testy as re-vegging. Climate, enviornment and skill levels will determine results. I never met a lady that didn't re-veg well. If trying to save a strain, it's a VERY useful technique. If you liked one pheno of a particular strain, it's a useful technique. (re-veg, clone, pollinate or fem)

Worst part of re-vegging is...is on some sativa dominates, where light hasn't been getting all the way to the lowest undergrowth in flower, you'll have a taller re-veg in order to keep some green growth for powering the re-veg. If vegging under CFL's or fluoro tubes...this might pose a problem with a huge re-veg surrounded by seedlings and smaller plants. You'll have to raise the shorter plants to maximize canopy distance from the light.

Below is a pictorial of going from 7 gallon pot, down to a 1 gallon pot. About 17 or 18 days between hacking the plant, and the new growth shown in the last photo.

Kindest

Below is a pictorial of going from 7 gallon pot, down to a 1 gallon pot. About 17 or 18 days between hacking the plant, and the new growth shown in the last photo.

I'm always impressed at how many people here will take the time to sit down and really explain a topic like this. I love Icmag. Thanks Rusty.

M

mugenbao

I've had pretty decent success with both revegging and cloning. Given the choice, I prefer to clone because it's easier and faster, but there have been several times where I didn't get a clone from a plant that I later decided that I didn't want to lose and the only option was to reveg. My current situation is another example of reveg being important. I didn't take any clones of the fifteen plants I currently have in flower because I expect to have to shut everything down temporarily while I move, but if I do manage to get a new location worked out in time I will reveg the best plant and turn it into a mother for subsequent cloning :D

Also, to stay legal (and this is important to me) I have to keep to maximum plant counts. I don't always want to take clones and increase my plant count until a plant is a proven keeper.

Awesome point - but what about revegging a plant long enough to take new clones from it? Will that new clone be the same as the original plant?

I.e. plant from seed > reveg > clone

Will take longer but then you're only keeping plants you're already familiar with.
I grew an outdoor plant this past summer and had so much fun doing it I brought it indoors and set up a garden in the basement. I revegged the plant with great success eventually taking about 60 cuttings to experiment with cloning before I dropped some cash on some good seeds. I also experimented with going straight from clone to flower, so overall it was a lot of fun and a chance to learn a lot. I just stuck my reveg plant back to flower again, then Im done with it but I highly suggest trying it its a ton of fun

NarKush

When re-vegging I'll:

Harvest the meds leaving lower green for photosynthesis. Flush the the root ball well, remove rootball, slice the 7 gallon rootball down to fit in a 2 gallon pot (with a little room for fresh soil) Add shaved rootball to the new pot, fill with the fresh soil, water it in, fill voids...veg cycle for a few weeks, normal feeding schedule for veg growth.

Provides healthy, 'ready to rock-n-roll' shoots for cloning.

Re-vegging seems to stunt ultimate height of the re-veg, but provides a (generally) more compact plant. Clones grow 'normal'.

Been doing this for about 8 years now. Those that say it's a garbage technique, must have never invested the time to try and make it work. Clones and seedlings can be just as testy as re-vegging. Climate, enviornment and skill levels will determine results. I never met a lady that didn't re-veg well. If trying to save a strain, it's a VERY useful technique. If you liked one pheno of a particular strain, it's a useful technique. (re-veg, clone, pollinate or fem)

Worst part of re-vegging is...is on some sativa dominates, where light hasn't been getting all the way to the lowest undergrowth in flower, you'll have a taller re-veg in order to keep some green growth for powering the re-veg. If vegging under CFL's or fluoro tubes...this might pose a problem with a huge re-veg surrounded by seedlings and smaller plants. You'll have to raise the shorter plants to maximize canopy distance from the light.

[URL=http://s19.**************/j1xunq61r/a_Diesel_Mom_to_be_12_22_07.jpg]View Image[/url] [URL=http://s19.**************/qvyg94dun/b_Diesel_Mom_Harvested_12_22_07_640x480.jpg]View Image[/url] [URL=http://s19.**************/ndmgcqcyn/c_Diesel_Mom_Downsizing_12_22_07_640x480.jpg]View Image[/url]
[URL=http://s19.**************/5c7wso8bj/d_Diesel_Mom_downsized_12_22_07_640x480.jpg]View Image[/url] [URL=http://s19.**************/vykdhncin/f_Diesel_Mom_More_veg_1_04_08.jpg]View Image[/url]
That is brilliant in it's simplicity Rusty. Many thanks !.

siftedunity

cant re Member
Veteran

re vegging wouldn't be possible if the plant was only designed to veg, flower, then die. it has evolved in a way so that it will adapt. it wont effect the quality or anything else if you reveg, because they are determined by genetics within the plants individual cells, there is theories about genetic drift etc but that's a whole other debate and not really proven in cannabis scientifically.

if I have to reveg I would never trim the root ball as it will slow down the revegging, if the plant had a big healthy root system in flower, it will need that healthy root system to sustain the new growth, plus it might cause extra stress and slow the process down.

hush

Señor Member
Veteran
I do both. Cloning is easier and faster. Revegging is a great fail safe. It too is very easy. There's nothing to it really. It just takes up valuable garden space while it does its thing, that's all. When you harvest, just make sure to leave all the larf and a few popcorn nugs down toward the bottom of the plant... also a few fan leaves... Then just flip the lighting schedule to 18/6 and start feeding with a high N nute. For me it usually takes a week or 2 before seeing evidence that the plant is revegging. If it takes longer than that you're probably doing something wrong. Or maybe you grew gigantic trees and so the root system is huge, and inside of huge containers that hold too much water now that you've chopped most of the tree down (in which case, a root pruning and transplant to a smaller pot would be a good idea). Usually within a month I'm able to take cuttings to turn into a new mother plant.

ncmga

reveg or clone

reveg or clone

I've done both myself and like reveging only as a novelty
plant and as salvage. A word to wise clone gardeners
is in veging o re veging to use fulvic acid for foliar at the rate
of one tsp per qt . For pre flower clones will revert to
vegetative stage, soil for flowering.

MostWantedGens

good question

by my experiences with indicas hard and long the re-veg if you let them fully mature (70 days 12/12) before harvest than cut back... 24/0 light is required anyways...

strains with sativa gens the re-veg is faster and more successfull.

I vote for cloning before start the flowering but I also have some nice re-veg bushes but took a good month to re-veg them nicely from the bottom part of the plants, after harvo'

siftedunity

cant re Member
Veteran
yeah some strains definitely take it better than others. ive found older cuts can take a bit longer.

Dropped Cat

Six Gummi Bears and Some Scotch
Veteran
Anyone notice their revegged girls smell different?

My first grow from seed had a wonderful, strong black pepper
smell, and since the reveg, she has yet to exhibit the smell again.

Cuttings flowered in living soil, and coco, grow and produce nice
earthy hashy incense buds, but alas, no more black pepper.

Even the seed producer had no answer, skunkman.

Any hints to get the reveg plant to its original state?