What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Did i just breed feminized seeds?

I had 2 afgan X haze female (not feminised) go hermi and pollinat a feminized power plant while half way in flower. Are all these seeds feminized since both parents are female?

LoL this was a mistake by the way and now im looking at 100s of dark seeds and well might as well use um

rhinojoe

Depends whether or not the herm was mainly female as in not 50/50 but 90% female only a couple of male flowers i think thats how reputable seed companies do em...

NiteTiger

Tiger, Tiger, burning bright...
Veteran
Depends whether or not the herm was mainly female as in not 50/50 but 90% female only a couple of male flowers i think thats how reputable seed companies do em...

What?

They're feminized because there are no male genes. A female plant that has hermied is still female, not male. Reputable seed companies use females that they have forced to hermi, instead of plants with easy hermi traits that hermied unintentionally.

To the OP:

You have feminized seeds, yes, but I wouldn't go so far as to say you bred them :D

Open Eyes

You have feminized seeds, yes, but I wouldn't go so far as to say you bred them

So he did not intentionally apply the pollen but he still is producing seeds so in my eyes he did breed them even if unintentionally.

S

SmokeMan

Only grow the power plant seeds!!! Throw away any seeds you find in the plant that hermied. Those seeds will hermie.

The power plant seeds will all be female 99.9%

K

kopite

Only grow the power plant seeds!!! Throw away any seeds you find in the plant that hermied. Those seeds will hermie.

The power plant seeds will all be female 99.9%

explain that please, the pollen has come from a hermie has it not? it's not a female its an intersexed plant with intersexed genes that will pass on intersexed genes.... the OP has not bred shit the OP has an intersexed plant spewing out pollen...

What?

They're feminized because there are no male genes. A female plant that has hermied is still female, not male. Reputable seed companies use females that they have forced to hermi, instead of plants with easy hermi traits that hermied unintentionally.

To the OP:

You have feminized seeds, yes, but I wouldn't go so far as to say you bred them

Jesus Fin christ they are Intersexed ffs.. I even think Soma has moved away from his herm breeding project..

Kopite

S

SmokeMan

I speak solely from experiance. Ive made my own feminized seeds and I have grown them out. And my results are what I speak on. Not anyone elses. If you grow the seeds from the pollinated plant they will be female as long as the plant that hermied was a late or mid herm. Or a reversed female. I dont know how it works all I know is it works. I made my own fems a year ago, I have since tested them and documented all my grows on another forum to prove it. I am not blowing smoke.

Any plant can hermie and will IF not grown in the proper enviroment and stressed.

But I do agree that fem seeds are more sensitive to stress.

love?

SmokeMan: Genes come 50% from the mom, 50% from the dad. When the hermie pollinates itself all genes come from the hermie and of course hermie children are very likely. The other plant only has 50% genes from the hermie parent and therefore the children aren't as likely to be hermies, but I would still avoid using the resulting seeds at least for anything serious or where a seeded crop would be a catastrophe.

Anyway this might explain why your experience differs from "kopite's theory".

K

kopite

Any plant can hermie and will IF not grown in the proper enviroment and stressed.

Well I have some that don't !
If you grow the seeds from the pollinated plant they will be female as long as the plant that hermied was a late or mid herm. Or a reversed female.

a hermie (intersexed genes) and a reversed female are different!

Kopite

Mr. Stinky

you most certainly did NOT "breed" feminized seed. you had a hermi, and you let it seed the rest of your plants. those are hermaphrodite seeds. feminized process involves alot of work finding the females that DONT herm under stressful situations, then using chemicals to produce pollen to make seed on another solid female. feminized seed is not the same as hermi seed. fem seed is 100% female, and are LESS prone to intersex than regular male/female seeds due to the extensive stress testing involved.
there is about 1 post in this whole thread with even a bit of fact. the rest is all bullshit you have read on a stoner forum that was made up by some other bullshitter.

I am not so sure I agree with Mr. Stinky nor Kopite.... "hermy" genes are simply female genes that are more prone to switching sex. Ofcourse, breeders strive for plants that are very difficult to hermy. Their genes are not any more "female" they are simply mutated and bred away from cannabis' natural instinct to grow male organs under stress. While, yes, this benefits growers it would hinder the plants in nature where there are many times hermying is desirable.

In short, yes, you have feminized seeds. The easy hermying nature of the sire makes them statistically more prone to hermying themselves. None of them will produce males.

bromhexine

the real question is how stable will these fem seeds be. the answer lies in how they hermied in the first place. every plant has potential to go hermie even the best bred fem seeds

tripa

I'm very interested about what they're gonna be like cuz I've hear stuff like this and never really got a picture or proof. Try to put 30seeds into 12/12 from seed and you'll see where u are

¿kama3

i had the same issue, due the heat stress one plant went hermie and seeds i got were mostly female, some plant was pure female, some had few bananas per big plant so they were 99.9% female, from all the 100seeds i got about 10 were pure males. i guess i can say 90%feminized 10%males. you never know exactly i guess.
dont know about colloidal silver technique, does it give you 100% feminized or not.

Kingzako

OK,
Grown from seed & cut all males out way early or as soon as I knew they were males. I had the same issue. My buds late in the flowering stage developed some SEEDS in them. Not allot but a few in just some of the buds and there were NO males anywhere in site.

so are these seeds fems or not and should I bother even trying to grow them??

Thanks