What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Summer 2010 outdoor questions

clp

You guys seem like a helpful crew and after hours of research and searching I still have a few questions. I have a slight dilemma, I am wanting to grow outdoors this summer for the first time but need to leave for university around September 3 or so.. I am able to possibly come back once or twice after that if absolutely necessary but it would be mch easier to have a crop done and harvested before late august. *This has led me to believe that autoflowering strains may be the solution to my problem. I haven't seen many posts or grow journals on successful autoflowering outdoor grows but am sure that it is possible and probably the key to my delimma.*
Here's my logistics:
I live in the lower part of Michigan that tends to get alot of sunlight and decent amount of natural rain
I am planning on growing 8-10 plants
I will be using fertilizer and nutes but am not sure which ones yet due to not knowing which strain
Can check plants daily and water as often as needed
Can afford most any outdoor grow setup but would like to spend the least amount required.*

My questions:*
Do autoflowering strains grow well outdoors? Most journals I've seen have been indoors

Any recomendation on strains based on my logistics?*
As of now I am looking at "easyryder" which is a lowryder #2 x ak47 cross - from attitude seedbank - would this be a good choice?

What would be the best time to plant if I'd like the harvest to be mid or early august and is that timeframe possible?*

Do fertilizer requirements change at all with autoflowering strains?

Any difference in potting materials?*

Any rough estimate on dry yield per plant assuming 8-10 hours of direct light and proper nutes?*

Any other tips or links would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks again
Clp

facelift

This is the money you could be saving if you grow
Veteran
You guys seem like a helpful crew and after hours of research and searching I still have a few questions. I have a slight dilemma, I am wanting to grow outdoors this summer for the first time but need to leave for university around September 3 or so.. I am able to possibly come back once or twice after that if absolutely necessary but it would be mch easier to have a crop done and harvested before late august. *This has led me to believe that autoflowering strains may be the solution to my problem. I haven't seen many posts or grow journals on successful autoflowering outdoor grows but am sure that it is possible and probably the key to my delimma.*
Here's my logistics:
I live in the lower part of Michigan that tends to get alot of sunlight and decent amount of natural rain
I am planning on growing 8-10 plants
I will be using fertilizer and nutes but am not sure which ones yet due to not knowing which strain
Can check plants daily and water as often as needed
Can afford most any outdoor grow setup but would like to spend the least amount required.*

My questions:*
Do autoflowering strains grow well outdoors? Most journals I've seen have been indoors

As of now I am looking at "easyryder" which is a lowryder #2 x ak47 cross - from attitude seedbank - would this be a good choice?

What would be the best time to plant if I'd like the harvest to be mid or early august and is that timeframe possible?*

Any rough estimate on dry yield per plant assuming 8-10 hours of direct light and proper nutes?*

Thanks again
Clp

I believe all pot plats "auto-flower" outdoors. Meaning that unless it's trapped in light, it's going to flower. This is nothing to do with auto strains.

I've only had partial success outdoors. The last time I was flooded out in 2007. The forest area is STILL flooded.

I read about all the successes here and most seem to dig holes and use home made soil mixes. I used a bulb planter and bagged soil.

Unless you don't mind seeds, or have the females ready to go, you'll have to rip males in July maybe August.

Look for a Halloween Harvest.

Presto_D

Ok, the above poster clearly doesn't get what autos are.
I am new to this myself, but I can tell you a few things I have learned from this place.

Google you local 'last frost date' you should find a calculator you can enter a major city near you. That will give you a good idea of when it is getting safe to plant outdoors.
You'll want to start seeds around then if you can get a few weeks indoors under 20/4 light/dark, even better.

A lot of strains promise 60 days to finish from seed to harvest. If you are new like me, you'll want to allow extra time. I'm already at +1 week due to mistakes with seeds.
If the weather is less than ideal, etc, it can take up to 90 days to finish, and then you'll need to take the time to cure it properly. Unless you render everything into edibles.

I think you can do this with several weeks to spare, I'm aiming to get my very first harvest done at end of May - early June. But I can start seeds now. Find you last frost locally and work from there.

For an outdoor autoflower grow do a site search for 'Biggysmalls autoflower outdoors'

clp

Thanks a ton to the above poster! I think that I am going to plant a bit after tenlast Forster date due to the fact that I wan the most sun possible for my plants. Our last frostdate is typically around the beginnig of may and if I planted then I would be done around the beginning of July. I think I'd rather get a bit more summer sun but if someone finds error in this let me know!
I really want to get greenhouse seeds new af strain called green o magic but it's sold out right now. I'll probably wait for it. Anyone have any dea how long they taketo be in stock?

I also don't have any access to a place for lights to start my seeds.. Would it still work alright to use the paper towel method and then plant straight into my soil mix?
Should I use rockwool cubes instead of paper towel?

Thanks!

SmokeyTheBear

Pot Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran

Thanks again
Clp

i would suggest going with the breeders than have been doing it for years. Low Life seeds and Mdanzig. The two strain i suggest using are Auto-Ak - Low Life and Sour60 - Mdanzig. Both of these plants get big enough to produce a very good yield but not big enough to have to worry about them.

i always grow about 20-30 auto's in corn fields around my area. i think they grow awesome. i sprout them in mid may and put them outdoors mid june. i do this because they are finished around mid-end august. very nice for some early buds.

for fertilizers. personally, i use 1/2 teaspoon schultz grow, 1 tablespoon earth juice grow, 2 teaspoon of liquid karma or earth juice catalyst(whichever is nearby) per gallon. for flowering, i use the schultz's for the first three weeks along with 3 teaspoon of floranova, 2 teaspoons of tiger bloom or sugar peak, and 1/4 teaspoon of big bud and two teaspoons of liquid karma or earth juice catalyst. after the first three weeks i stop using the grow ferts.

For potting soil, you want to use a light soil mix. I have found that the 1 cubic foot organic miracle grow soil, mixed with one brick of coco coir, 4 cups of worm castings, 5-7 cups of perlite, and as much peat moss and i feel ok with makes for a very light and very good soil for auto. indoor and out.

i received 3 1/2 ounces from these seven one foot girls. they were sour bubble ryder. i had them in a 7 gallon pot.

Last edited:
T

theJointedOne

if you have acess to the plants easilyeveryday i would do a light dep you could easily harvest by august

Presto_D

I also don't have any access to a place for lights to start my seeds.. Would it still work alright to use the paper towel method and then plant straight into my soil mix?

Thanks!

You don't need lights until there are seed leaves showing.
When germinating in paper towels, you definitely want to pop them right into soil as soon as you see root showing.
My first baby is showing above soil today! :jump: That is two days since I saw root while it was in wet paper towels and put it in my cup of soil.

I have no experience with rockwool cubes. Yet. :)

Good luck!

SmokeyTheBear

Pot Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Thanks a ton to the above poster! I think that I am going to plant a bit after tenlast Forster date due to the fact that I wan the most sun possible for my plants. Our last frostdate is typically around the beginnig of may and if I planted then I would be done around the beginning of July. I think I'd rather get a bit more summer sun but if someone finds error in this let me know!
I really want to get greenhouse seeds new af strain called green o magic but it's sold out right now. I'll probably wait for it. Anyone have any dea how long they taketo be in stock?

Thanks!

i used to use the paper towel method. i don't like it anymore. not all seeds germ in 3 days and the paper towel starts to mold. i now put the seeds in a cup of water and put plastic wrap over the top of it to keep all moisture in. i have had great success with germination since switching to this method.

Do not get any auto-flowers unless they are low life, mdanzig, or short stuff strains. the rest of the companies are not 100% auto-flower. you may pay a little more but you will have a much better product in the end.

check your messages. i left you some info. i've used a number of those strains with great success and they are quite a bit cheaper than the low life and mdanzig seeds.

clp

Hey guys just ordered 20 mdanzings sour 60 seeds. After more research. Though that autoflowerig might be my best route. This strain is also supposed to be really solid and a decent producer. I will definetly have a full indepth grow journal once. Get these babies in the ground. :)

G

Guest129216

Sounds great Clp This was a helpful thread as I'm planning an auto grow myself this season.

tripa

Make some deep holes as autoflowers tend to stop growing fast when they hit the bottom of the container or sth solid...my 2 cents