What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Calling all Tree top growers

This past year I finally tried growing in the trees. And let me tell you I loved it. Yes, there is more work to do. But i believe the pay is higher. Heres my pros to growing in trees.

1) Nobody will find your stash.
2) Alot less bug and no slug problem.
3) No deer
4) All day sun (on the right side of the hill)
5) Nobody will find your stash (yes I typed it twice because I know from experiacne nobody will find it.)

While growing in the trees this year, I had other plants on the ground of my property. And the Leos did a fly over and found my plants on the ground. They also spent over an hour shearching for other plants and never found them. I also brought a well trusted friend to see if he could find them. And only when I pointed them out did he ever see them.

I'm looking to talk with other growers who have tryed this method and what where your techniques of growing this way.

amrad

I'v thought about it, but I'm afraid of heights. Also it seems like a shit load of work, putting up cables to pull your buckets down to water and up again.
Or do you pick shorter trees about ten or so feet tall? Would be interested in how you go about this.

Gantz

Smoke weed and prosper
Veteran
growing in trees is possible...if you have
1. strong trees
2. a strong body
3. time to visit them more often to water them

Dazedandconfused, I beg to differ. Yes it does take more work to set up and to keep watered. But the success rate is very high. If I put in the work for 20 large plants on the ground there is a high possiblity only harvesting half of what I plant. Deer, slugs, bugs, rippers, and Leos and a big pest problem. When growing in trees I know most of my plants will harvest. Unless moldstrikes of course.

Amrad, the trees I picked were about 20' high evergreens. not sure the exact species of evergreen. What I did was fill 5 gal camo painted buckets with soil. climbed the tree and raised them 3/4 the way up and straped them to the main trunk. and when I watered Ide climb the tree and raise water up to me. This method is probably more practical for home gardeners. maybe some body with only a tree or two in thier yard. The evergreens worked very well with hidding plants. When on the ground looking up at the tree you get the impression like you are looking right thru the tree to the other side.
Like I said this would probably be better for the home gardener. I'm looking for other methods of growing in trees. Maybe if anybody has done a plat form and loaded it with clones late in the season. so they finish 1 - 2 oz plants. Anybody put in the work off the ground?

G

greatape

Havin a hard time getting my hear around what EXACTLY your set up is,any pictures you could share?

Thanks GA

Marlo, thanks for the video. he does look likes hes way up there. I dont need to go this high.
but I noticed he was in a evergreen tree. I'm really liking this method of growing. NOBODY looks up. I've looked but cant find anyone really doing this. This summer is in full swing for me not much time to put together a tree grow. but next summer for sure. I'll have to do a 10lb run to show it can be done.

amrad

hummed might just try that this year if your only going up ten ft. Do you disguise the pots, do you think those reusable bags from the supermarket would work?not large put there usually already green? maybe make a ladder out of dead poles in the area and use that to scale the trees. Cloth bags with a few twigs wrapped around would look like squirrel nests. Oh man you got me going now lol

lohocla420

My friends thought I was nuts when I suggested this, I was just tellin my bud this mornin like really how often do you look up in the woods. IM usually lookin to see where my feet are goin. Good to see me not so crazies after all.. Awesome Ideas gonna be floatin around here I could see.

lost in a sea

Lifer
Veteran
ive had this idea many a time.....never done it.....but it is ingenious.

who would look for a ganja plant stashed on a big fat branch 40-50 feet in the air ??

helicopters wouldnt see it for the tree's leaves, plus they use special camera filters as they fly over that search for the distinctive shape of a ganja leaf which also wouldnt work........ and regular ground swelling pigs are too dumb to imagine someone going through the trouble to do that...... and like senor bueno says, most flying insects arnt capable of getting up to those heights due to breezes....

i have left plants in places where they couldnt be watered by me......with the right mix of soil (rich, well airated with good drainage, but also good retention), in a big enough pot, they can do very well with long gaps between natural top ups, aka rain........

amrad

very nice, that would be almost undetectable, for sure. And Alders, which I think that is, are dam easy to climb. I found a swamp thats covered in willows very dense. I wounder if afew trees lashed together with the bag in the middle? might work, as the plant grew you just lower the bag so the tops are even with the willow canopy. Youd have to keep the top pruned flat so it fit in, and didnt shoot up above the willows.

I'm glad to see other people interseted in tree growing. I believe there is a book out on growing in the trees. havent read it though.
growing in trees is well worth the climb. People by nature DO NOT look up. And even if you were to take a walk in the woods and decide to stop and look around. lets say bird watching or just enjoying the greenery. You are not gonna see it unless you know its there. And Leos are trained to look on the ground even from the air.
The day they flew over my house and found the coulpe of plants I had on the ground was a National Guard training day. The state police were training the National Guards to look for Marijuana. They even had the good Guards on the ground after finding it in the sky. pulling the plants they found on my property to get a better feel of what the plants looked like. They were pulling plants out of the ground only a few feet away from where my tree grows were.

amrad

The only draw back with tree growing that i can see is watering. But one could remove the leafmold from an area dig a hole in the middle, slant the surrounding area towards the middle put plastic sheet on the whole shibang, then put a thin layer of leafs back on top for stealth The rain would make its way to the reservoir.
Shhhit I'm obsessed now. Gotta try this spring.LOL

Gantz

Smoke weed and prosper
Veteran
Senor Bueno you are right senor. there is a book on this very subject and it's called "Inbisible Marijuana"