What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Blue dream helps for friend's anxiety but sour d/chem hybrids make it worse, why?

Robney

Title says it all: I have a friend who has some anxiety, I think it would be best described as social anxiety, and for him smoking blue dream is what makes him feel most comfortable, especially around people, where as if he smokes sour d he feels the need to go home and wait the high out. I'm assuming since it happens with sour/chem crosses, something in the chem lines must be causing anxiety, but when I look at the leafly thc/cbd/terp report (BD:https://www.leafly.com/hybrid/blue-dream; sour d:https://www.leafly.com/sativa/sour-diesel; chem:https://www.leafly.com/hybrid/chemdawg), they are look pretty similar (though BD has no CBL). Anyone have any input as to what causes this? Or does anyone else find cannabis effects their anxiety similarly? If so, what strains work for you?

who dat is

Cave Dweller
Veteran
Different strains are going to have different cannabinoid and terpene profiles and that will affect you in different ways. There is also a thing called "The entourage effect" where the different terpenes interact with the different cannabinoids that are unique to each strain. For the most part it's a safe bet for your friend to avoid sativas as they are going to be more upbeat, even racy depending on strain. Indicas on the other hand are going to be more of your couchlock, sedentary strain. This is by no means a be all end all guideline to follow but a loose generalization. They might also want to check out strains from the Skunk family as they don't have as much THC and might be a little more mild in comparison to the Diesel/Chem line.

medman225

above poster is right

however first off, certain people will react to everyday strains in certain ways that's different from the way it affects most peps... it just happens.
as for why ur friend is enjoying blue dream yet not Diesel and its progeny, its probably to do with 2 things..
1) blue dream is very influenced by the blueberry it was bred with... DJ SHORT painstakenly worked Anti-Anxiety phenos into all his lines, and it would seem to me the blueberry used in the blue dream cross was probably an anti anxiety pheno. it is well known that his anti anxiety phenos are GREAT for people looking to treat mental/emotional issues... and theres a reason blue dream is ever present.... its a light smoke that even if u smoke a shitload of... u will stay calm... DJ used to use the lsd test on his strains to make sure that they provided anti anxiety effects even when one is tripping balls... if it gave him safe passage while navigating the seas of his mind, hed release the strain. this is called Djs Acid test. for the record, no other breeder has actively and intentionally bred anti anxiety effects into their strains.
2)the high of sour diesel is much stronger and potent... and whereas I feel like blue dream is almost all in the head, SourD is a hybrid high with a soaring sativa like high, with a indica body punch in the background that makes for a super potent plant. lol SourD and chem and og are the new benchmarks for insane potency...

Green Squall

I've always found blue dream to have a very calming high. I've never really cared for sour d. Good weed just not my cup of tea.

theJointedOne

Veteran
Honestly its more about your state of mind at the time of intake. .

I suffer from severe anxiety disorder as well as PTSD and severe panic disorder.

Your much better off addressing why your suffering from these mental issues. Take a break from puffing. Work on your mind/body/life. Then you can enjoy any and all cannabis, regardless of variety.

Just my :2cents:

frostqueen

After many years as a medical grower and hundreds of strains trialed and created in my garden, I have learned that everyone responds to any given strain quite a bit differently. It would be great if you could just generalize and say "this strain has this type of high", "sativas are like this and indicas are like this" like the dispensaries love to, but honestly? Often that seems to not really be the case. Often indica hybrids take on certain sativa effects and visa versa. There are also terpenoid co-factors which people respond to in different ways.

There are definitely general trends in experience with sativas and indicas, but overall each person responds a bit differently to any given hybrid. Each person's specific physiology plays into it heavily.

I've had patients say "holy shit, I totally freaked out on that one!", and then another patient say "I didn't even feel that, it isn't potent at all." Or: "Oh man, that one makes me really hungry and puts me to sleep; it's so sedative" or "that one made me get really hyper and paranoid; why didn't you warn me?" These reactions? All from the exact same plant.

I've also found that names alone can really skew people's opinions about perceived effects. My strategy for finding a good strain match for people/patients (or to evaluate new hybrids that I develop) is to initially offer them six different half-gram samples, these numbered from 1 to 6, with no other info. I tell them to choose only 1 sample per day, and to smoke it at least 3 times without any other influences. After they rave about or reject the 6 samples I tell them what the names are, and also write down their preferences so I can be more helpful to them later.

Gelado`

Veteran
For me, nothing is better than pure Indian and Cambodian sativas for keeping my anxiety manageable. I have the same social anxiety issue. Helping my social anxiety by pushing myself out of my comfort zone, step by step, was the best thing I ever did. Now no matter what I smoke, I'm usually fine. Your friend needs to tackle his social anxiety directly.

PoweredByLove

Most Loved
when you're hyper. or have anxiety as the case may be they prescribe you ritalin, or some sort of speed to calm you down. sativa's are more stimulating than depressant so this is most likely why he loves sativas as do i. helps your brain cope with all the flooding images and keep up to the point where everything is seemingly slowed down.

Indica's on the other hand are more depressing in their action and are most likely making him feel lazy and tired and foggy which is exacerbating his normal state of hyper frenentic thought. so now he really can't concentrate on shit at all and just feels annoyed and sleepy not even sleepy but like extreme fatigue...if he's anything like me.

Big-Narstie

I find chems more anti anxiety depressive strains but no weed will fix his social anxiety he has to work on that himself.

I found bubba kush, bubblegum and blueberry strains work great for anxiety

soil margin

Veteran
Title says it all: I have a friend who has some anxiety, I think it would be best described as social anxiety, and for him smoking blue dream is what makes him feel most comfortable, especially around people, where as if he smokes sour d he feels the need to go home and wait the high out. I'm assuming since it happens with sour/chem crosses, something in the chem lines must be causing anxiety Anyone have any input as to what causes this? Or does anyone else find cannabis effects their anxiety similarly? If so, what strains work for you?

THC-V buffers some of the negative side effects of high THC consumption like paranoia/anxiety. You'd have to do high quality lab testing to know for sure, but it's very possible that blue dream has a higher THC-V content than the chem/sour d hybrids. There are definitely anecdotal reports of blue dream having THC-V like effects, so it's definitely possible. I've still yet to see any blue dream where it was actually lab tested for THC-V so can't know for sure.

Gry

Have always thought of Bubba as the love and care cut, it has been real comfortable for me.

ChaosCatalunya

5.2 club is now 8.1 club...
Veteran
I am in the middle of a few conversations with friends about this, the Whole Plant, Entourage effects, people moving away from idolising the .73 ice o lator to the whole plant extracts, slightly less potent overall, but with far more of the individual character of each plant.

There are several types of THC that we know about, as others have already mentioned , THC-V, CBN, CBD... but it may be far more complex still... Yesterday I was speaking to a friend (with an organic chemistry degree) who was saying that it may be that the molecular structure of "THC" can vary, basically it has the same total number of atoms of each element in total, but the architecture of the 3D molecular structure varies, and so varies in effects

but it may be far more complex still...

You bet it is, all molecules have their effect and even miniscule differences in the composition can cause big and unexpected changes, synergistic or not,

What helps against anxiety are methanols like linalool and a-terpineol, which cannabis can be rich in.
Some CBD also helps as long as you have enough THC to make it work properly.

ChaosCatalunya

5.2 club is now 8.1 club...
Veteran
You bet it is, all molecules have their effect and even miniscule differences in the composition can cause big and unexpected changes, synergistic or not,

What helps against anxiety are methanols like linalool and a-terpineol, which cannabis can be rich in.
Some CBD also helps as long as you have enough THC to make it work properly.

At the moment, the more I learn, the more I realise that I know almost nothing

It is like we were looking up to the sky and seeing the Sun and the Moon, then realising there is also a Solar System... then OMFG, a Galaxy, and before you can get your head round that, there are billions of galaxies beyond that

Galaxy420

It is like we were looking up to the sky and seeing the Sun and the Moon, then realising there is also a Solar System... then OMFG, a Galaxy, and before you can get your head round that, there are billions of galaxies beyond that

quoted from Edgar cayce- " each cell in our bodies is an entire universe! every cell in existence is.."
the organic complete structuring in the crystalline molecular building block form known as THC is the cannabis plants' offering to us humans of a way to re structure our own body chemistry and maintain our cells via homeostasis... we create our own THC in our bodies but somewhere down the line of human existence our diet lacked ( and now lacks) the proper organic molecular building blocks to maintain our own THC level at a rate of complete homeostasis- hence cannabis and it's perfect structures for our cells to build from

944s2

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Different strains are going to have different cannabinoid and terpene profiles and that will affect you in different ways. There is also a thing called "The entourage effect" where the different terpenes interact with the different cannabinoids that are unique to each strain. For the most part it's a safe bet for your friend to avoid sativas as they are going to be more upbeat, even racy depending on strain. Indicas on the other hand are going to be more of your couchlock, sedentary strain. This is by no means a be all end all guideline to follow but a loose generalization. They might also want to check out strains from the Skunk family as they don't have as much THC and might be a little more mild in comparison to the Diesel/Chem line.
the above and as other have mentioned avoid sativas like grinspoon etc,,,,

:biggrin:lol,lol,
i have whatever your having chaos old mate:tiphat:

Latest posts

Latest posts