What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Using Cannabis to Beat Opiate Addiction

PDX Dopesmoker

I bet there is already a thread on this topic, but I scanned the first page and didn't see it there or in the search engine results so if anyone wants to link me there then thanks a ton & I will be loading the bowls fat as possible with the best stuff if we ever get to smoke together.

Otherwise I need some advice for someone who (thank god I ain't lying) isn't me. I've read this: http://skunkpharmresearch.com/opiate-withdrawal/ and some other stuff on the topic and the patient is thankfully on opiates for prescribed medical reasons rather than for fun, but the duration has been four months and its time to end it so the doctors are reducing the dosages on this young man who has already done time for stealing cars (which is to say that he won't have any trouble at all finding oxys for sale or h which is cheaper of course). His medical condition (some kind of kidney/pancreas issue) was brought on by his drinking and his mother has asked me to switch him to Our Mother of Mercy, sweet, forgiving, inexpensive & non-addictive, 100% legal, Saint and Queen of the Universe Mary Jane.
The guy doesn't like weed that much though, which is great because he had a low tolerance as a result, but there seems to be something or other about the buzz he says he doesn't like and I expect that he is only familiar with high THC drug weed and never met it mixed with CBD yet. He didn't say specifically what bugs him about the buzz though and another issue is that he's had surgery on his innards and has legitimate physical pain that need to be managed or at least tolerated. I don't know yet what condition his digestive tract is in, but its clearly not in perfect condition what with the disease, recent surgery and months on opiates and he looks somewhat thin under his oversized clothing.

Anyone have any good advice I would love to read it, thanks.

St. Phatty

This is part of the history of the original Seed Bank.

Neville Schoenmakers moved from Australia to the Netherlands, sometime before 1989.

Neville was addicted to opiates. He used cannabis to help deal with that.

He also got a $7,000 (guilders ... dollars ... I forget) small business loan from the Dutch government ... for a cannabis seed company.

Avoid heady cultivars at first, use cultivars known for strong body effects, something that makes it you want to sit and watch movies. Find out activities the patient likes to do other then opioids. Use these activities to distract the patient while under the effects of Cannabis. This helps avoid the anxiety caused by strong cannabis while filling the time since the patients last opioid use. Once patient is comfortable, adding in cultivars with more heady trippy effects can then reinforce the distraction from opioids.

It's very important to start slow. Enjoying the effects of Cannabis are a major part of it helping. Also manage expectations. Cannabis use will most likely reduce opioid use but stopping altogether will take a holistic approach(using other therapies with cannabis) and the patient truly wanting it. Relapses are going to occur even with the best care but that doesn't mean getting clean is a lost cause. Patience, understanding, and finding unique solutions to the very real socio-economic problems many patients face is key.

mayorofthdesert

Ok, look. This isn't something to play around with, please be cautious & methodical - it could benefit him but I think it more likely to complicate matters. I'm 3 years clean from heroin & have lots of exprience(s) getting off of opiates in every manner. If he wasn't on opiates prior to this 4 months prescription it sounds like the doctor is doing what's called for at least as far as the physical dependance is concerned. If he's never had an opiate habit before & he's weaned down properly it'll be relatively painless/quick to be back to normal. Sounds like his normal is the risky situation though... If he took a liking to the poppy & like you say he can easily "get stuff" in his circles, then I'm thinking the answer to the dilema probably needs to come from a different direction.

I've loved weed all my life & do again today but I couldn't touch it in withdrawls or even for a good while after the last symptoms were gone. Even a solid indica would send my anxiety off the roof. It would also severely exasperate the feeling that you cannot be comfortable in any position & would literally make the "Restless Leg Syndrome" take over my whole body. The only way that mj did help me in withdrawls was large dose edibles, like serious amounts, way past what I'd advise giving someone without an mj tolerance. This way I seemed to go straight past any head high & would be basically knocked out, physically & mentally. If anything I'd start with small amounts of high cbd edibles & see, but really I'd suggest not throwing it into the mix at all since he's not fond of it from prior experience. Maybe later...

Years on it's a different story. I live in Colorado and legal weed has absolutely been a factor that I've not touched an illegal drug in 3 years. Seriously, it has. I love the fact that I can leave work, stop off at the corner store for a gram of shatter & a quarter of buds, drive home without worry & get irie while cooking dinner. Like I'm a normal fucking citizen instead of a criminal - I cherish that. If it were again as illegal to buy pot as it is to buy heroin my situation today might be very different. There have been many days that I've debated when leaving work - go south to cop or go north to home, smoke a bowl & then decide whether or not to cop. So far I've always came home & after a proper joint or whatever I say "what the fuck was I thinking..?" In that way it's been absolutely indispensable.

If you have any questions/concerns about your friend regarding opiate withdrawls please pm me. Unfortunately I'm a dictionary of knowledge on the subject. Exercise, the last thing anyone in that situation will want to do, is the best medicine to cut the time it takes to get through it. There are some otc meds that can help but really for a 4 month stint, hydrate, eat healthy, push yourself physically & be thankful you have weeks not months or years to feel healthy again.

PDX Dopesmoker

Thanks everyone for all of the advice, I kinda don't want to end up feeling responsible for someone guy's shit being all fucked up just because his mom picked me out of the crowd as a some sort of street pharmacist so having experienced pros available for advice make me a lot more confident this can be done properly.
I've grown the stuff before a long time ago, its so damn easy, but it never ended up being a favorite of mine, the constipation bothers me too much to use it regularly.
I will deliver updates as they become available

LostTribe

Premium user
I would stay clear of sativas and recommend the Kush lines OG and Bubba for withdraw but I am not a physician. You may choose to seek treatment aside from pot alone as well.

Best of luck to those working to beat addiction! Keep Strong and beat it!

idiit

Veteran
I've smoked heroin so I gots a little personal experience.

helping ppl get off opiates is one of my fantasies. I've contemplated this topic while high more than once.

ace's Malawi is my best bet. it's a very powerful narcotic high in most phenos and it translates in some hybrids like most golden tiger phenos.

edibles off ace Malawi would be my first choice of where to start. if your friend does not like smoking then he could go edibles which are much stronger than smoking.

mowood3479

Veteran
Idk how much cannabis is going to help a severe opiate detox. I mean it does help a little... It'll help the detoxee to mayb stomach some food, and mayb catch a few minutes of sleep but it's still gonna really suck....

Proper dosage tapering is far more important Imo and if this young man has only had 4 months of continuous use to contend with, he should be ok with a proper taper and then a few days of irritability and sleeplessness....

idiit

Veteran
Idk how much cannabis is going to help a severe opiate detox. I mean it does help a little... It'll help the detoxee to mayb stomach some food, and mayb catch a few minutes of sleep but it's still gonna really suck....

Proper dosage tapering is far more important Imo and if this young man has only had 4 months of continuous use to contend with, he should be ok with a proper taper and then a few days of irritability and sleeplessness....
I don't claim to know. I do not know. the only way to know is a posteriori: empirical after the fact studies. what this means is try it and find out first hand.

I would much rather be going thru opiate withdrawals as fucked up as possible on a great non addictive, non opiate narcotic ( read ace Malawi edibles) narcotic.

ace Malawi will likely not stop opiate withdrawals. it will likely ( imo) make those withdrawals much easier to suffer thru thereby enabling the patient to continue his/her opiate withdrawal program as opposed to running back to his/her street dealer in submission and failure to get off the shit.

THINK A N D; and. taper program with ( and) strong narcotic cannabis edibles. it can be part of a taper to zero program.

read DOABLE.

again, I don't know. this is my "best bet".

the only conclusive way to find out is to try it out.

mowood3479

Veteran
Ha, I hear that and I agree Cannabis is not going to make the detox experience any worse and it may help.. even more so a strong edible dose but it's still gonna be an icky few weeks..

baron1212

Well this is my personal experience on the question. I had been on opiates for well over 20yrs.And when I started using Dank.But it has to be killer bud. The dank has changed my life for the better.Those pills are terrible for ya.So I'm on my 6th yr.almost 7yrs now.So I moved from Richmond VA to Colorado,so I could grow &use my medicine without worrying about getting in trouble with the law. If you keep up the smoking&dabbin those pains will be numbed&the urges for the opiates will fade away.Goodluck&stick with it.Cause it will work!

RetroGrow

Veteran
Kratom will get you off opiates. It kills withdrawals. However, they just made it illegal as of September 30. If you want some, get it now! The DEA is once again demonizing a benign plant.

PDX Dopesmoker

Well this is my personal experience on the question. I had been on opiates for well over 20yrs.And when I started using Dank.But it has to be killer bud. The dank has changed my life for the better.Those pills are terrible for ya.So I'm on my 6th yr.almost 7yrs now.So I moved from Richmond VA to Colorado,so I could grow &use my medicine without worrying about getting in trouble with the law. If you keep up the smoking&dabbin those pains will be numbed&the urges for the opiates will fade away.Goodluck&stick with it.Cause it will work!

Thanks for posting that, my guy is doing fine. He eats CBD edibles during the day now & smokes some 1:1 THC:CBD type flower in the evening to help with sleep. I gave him some high CBN hash to use too, but I never heard if he touched it. This guy wasn't horribly habituated to his pills, he had on been on them for a few months and had a pretty clear memory of what life was like before his medical problems started & he wants to get back to it, so I don't think he even really need much "help", he just needed a reliable source of quality material and some information on how to use it.
Anyway I have another one now, no idea how I attract these people. My newest "client" is a yoga instructor who has had some sort of horrible foot surgery (with pins left in for 4-6 weeks) and he doctor is giving her oxys, but he refuses to sign her medical card for cannabis. She has a nice balcony with decent privacy, so I brought over a bunch of plants & turned her balcony into a pretty big outdoor grow. She loves weed now, the plants make good companionship if you're stuck in a wheelchair & can't drive or leave the house without help. She still eats those oxys though, she might be growing Hungarian Blues next spring instead of Blueberry Skunk. I might have to pick up some Kratom before the end of the month, not a bad idea while its still cheap.

Latest posts

Latest posts