What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

simpson oil vs canabis infused edibles

Snook

Still Learning
Veteran
Exactly what he said! Oil is the way to go then you can make your own edibles with it if you have too but just decarb it and swaller, buy the ticket take the ride!
I understand decarbing : 250F>20-30 minutes.. but how are you decarbing it? RSO is heated to 'boil off' the degreaser, is that the decarbing you speak of?

DTFuqua

It's been a long time since I made brownies but I used raw cannabis and got good results as far as normal usage. Didn't the cooking process do the decarb thing? I now have severe COPD and will be looking to treat that, along with the problems that put me on disability around 2010 with heavy doses of cannabis. My thoughts are to add quality cannabis at a rate of 1/4 Oz. per however many brownies I choose to eat in a days time to get the equivalent of the 1 gram a day suggested dosage for medical needs. Can someone with more knowledge/experience help me out with this thinking.

Snook

Still Learning
Veteran
search on 'butter' to learn how to make butter with you weed to make brownies (I make cookies) - read the process and: 1oz weed (the better the weed, the better the product) to 3.25 sticks of butter (or ghee, or coconut oil, etc) will return 3, 1/2 cup portions (sticks) of cannabutter. I can make about 100 cookies from 3 sticks of cannabutter.. I cant eat 2: 2 = no, no.. for me.. but don't start at 2, start at 1 and wait
1.5-2 hours before the second if you must and 3 hours after that if you want a third.. go slow..
between the heating process of the butter&weed and the time in the oven at around 350, decarbs
OTOH, rosin is another option along with Malawi COBs <:search here ay ICMAG

EDIT: and if there is any alcohol involved WAIT LONGER.. its like octane booster..

DTFuqua

yes I am aware of using butter, or in my knowledge base, coconut oil. I'm just wondering if I'm not leaving something behind in the residue cannabis. I made canna caps for my wife before she died. They made her too uncomfortable but seemed weak to me. My situation here makes it to expensive to do anything right now so I will likely be moving to the Sacramento area after I take care of things here. So right now, I just want to gather as much knowledge as I can. Right now, I just use a vaporizer to alleviate some of my discomfort and get by but I would like to be able to recover some of my life expectancy before it gets too late. I'm not going to be good for any kind of transplant surgery or anything so cannabis is my only hope.
The knowledge I am seeking, besides not wanting to lose anything by discarding the cannabis itself, is the dosing to get up to the 1 gram a day using coconut oil. Also, anything else that would help me make the best decisions when it come time to actually do something. I'm not against making RSO and using that but that is a smelly and seemingly wasteful process.

Last edited:

redlaser

Veteran
yes I am aware of using butter, or in my knowledge base, coconut oil. I'm just wondering if I'm not leaving something behind in the residue cannabis. I made canna caps for my wife before she died. They made her too uncomfortable but seemed weak to me. My situation here makes it to expensive to do anything right now so I will likely be moving to the Sacramento area after I take care of things here. So right now, I just want to gather as much knowledge as I can. Right now, I just use a vaporizer to alleviate some of my discomfort and get by but I would like to be able to recover some of my life expectancy before it gets too late. I'm not going to be good for any kind of transplant surgery or anything so cannabis is my only hope.
The knowledge I am seeking, besides not wanting to lose anything by discarding the cannabis itself, is the dosing to get up to the 1 gram a day using coconut oil. Also, anything else that would help me make the best decisions when it come time to actually do something. I'm not against making RSO and using that but that is a smelly and seemingly wasteful process.
I would decarb the material to make sure you get the most out of it. As far as leaving something behind in the butter making process: use a potato ricer to squeeze the last of the butter or coconut oil out of the weed.

DTFuqua

What I meant by "leaving something behind" was do I get absolutely everything good out of the plant material or is there something left that doesn't get dissolved in the coconut oil.

redlaser

Veteran
I am not a chemist but believe the desirable components are fat/oil soluble, so it should become available once ingesting.
Maybe there are waxes left behind but that is a guess.
One way to find out would be to process an amount of weed and then redo it to see if it is worth it. Doubt it would be much.

numberguy

DTFuqua, you are correct in your thinking, oils and concentrates only if you can not get quality material. Heating, baking will decarb. Other than that it is simple math, a quarter is only 7 grams so cut into seven pieces for 1 gram per piece or fourteen pieces for half gram pieces then find the right dose to eat at a time, enough to feel high but not too high. The more you can eat at a time the better the outcome. simple is best

420somewhere

Hi ho here we go
Veteran
A gram of THC a day..

A gram of THC a day..

It's been a long time since I made brownies but I used raw cannabis and got good results as far as normal usage. Didn't the cooking process do the decarb thing? I now have severe COPD and will be looking to treat that, along with the problems that put me on disability around 2010 with heavy doses of cannabis. My thoughts are to add quality cannabis at a rate of 1/4 Oz. per however many brownies I choose to eat in a days time to get the equivalent of the 1 gram a day suggested dosage for medical needs. Can someone with more knowledge/experience help me out with this thinking.

So 7 grams at 20% = 1.4 grams of THC

I think a gram of THC a day would be the Medical Dose

Good Luck

DTFuqua

Now thats the math I was looking for. It's simple once it is pointed out. That is only one of the reasons I'll have to wait till I move from where I'm at to a place where it is more acceptable to use cannabis for medical needs. Buying it off the street here, I never have more than a vague idea of the real potency of the cannabis I wind up with. Another is affordability. Where one has the freedom to grow their own, I can grow enough to supply myself the a large enough amount needed to get the proper dosage.
Now the other question. Yes, I believe everything I need/want can be dissolved by the coconut oil but how much oil will I need to use to not have the saturation level be so high that the oil just can't absorb everything. If I just use the oil for cooking, how many batches of brownies will I need to make to use up enough oil that it would take to not get beyond the saturation point. In other words. how much coconut oil is needed to absorb a gram of THC and all the other cannabinoids in the cannabis?
Now, if I just use the coconut oil to make the THC and other cabbabinoids more available to be absorbed by my body, I won't have to worry about weather or not I have tried to use too little oil in my extraction because I will have the leftovers in the brownies also so I'll be getting everything anyway.
I hope this all makes sense.

Last edited:

420somewhere

Hi ho here we go
Veteran
I use a Magical Butter machine..

I use a Magical Butter machine..

I usually make Canna Coconut Oil.

1 ounce of 20% weed into 1 pound of Coconut Oil.

You can easily use two ounces.

I use 1/4 pound of CannaCocoNut for Oil for a batch of 25 cookies:party:

Jacbowden

Food grade alcohol

Food grade alcohol

To take away the toxic effects of the solvent, I suggest using alcohol distilled using a hobby still at home. It's food grade without harmful toxins. You get all the medicinal benefits of the concentrated extract without worrying about possible residual poisons. I believe this would be more therapeutic than the cannabis butter.

Snook

Still Learning
Veteran
To take away the toxic effects of the solvent, I suggest using alcohol distilled using a hobby still at home. It's food grade without harmful toxins. You get all the medicinal benefits of the concentrated extract without worrying about possible residual poisons. I believe this would be more therapeutic than the cannabis butter.
hobby still!?? What is that? you have a link.. OH 1st post:
866087d2.gif

Seems to me that alcohol (very flammable) and a still (very hot) might be a little dangerous.
Tell me/us more.

I wood

hobby still!?? What is that? you have a link.. OH 1st post: View Image
Seems to me that alcohol (very flammable) and a still (very hot) might be a little dangerous.
Tell me/us more.

Countertop distillers are around $250 and work well. Similar footprint to a coffee maker but about twice as tall. Plug and play. A google search for airstill will show the one I use.
I use one to recycle the alcohol produced with yeast and sugar for co2.
It takes several cycles through the still, and lots of time, but the resulting 95 proof alcohol makes very nice oil.

astroaurora

My Fiance has over the last year or 2 been diagnosed with a cancerous brain tumor, they cut her open (37 staples to close her head back up) and took a biopsy. The only positive thing is that it hasnt grown in the last 2 yrs, and its a type that will not spread out of that tumor. LUCKILY it has not affected her like one would think. she is her same old normal self, she just has to take RX meds to control seizures in her sleep (the whole reason we even found the tumor). But shes a normal 29 yr old girl, hanging with her, you would never know...

That being said, I have been a member on here since 05' and was an avid member of overgrow before ICmag...been doin this a while, but thats besides the point...

medical has JUST been introduced in our state within this last year. she has her card and is able to buy full flower extracted oil pills from the dispensary. she is taking 400 bucks worth of these capsules a month, when in reality, to shrink/eradicate a brain tumor, it would be more in the line of $5,000 a month worth of medicine! so needless to say, I am going to be devoting alot of herb to making our own medicine, which will be better quality than what the state is producing...

I have been doing weeks worth of research, the one major medical op. in our state is using grain alc. the other is using coconut oil. but both are just singling out either THC, or CBD...id rather make full flower, full SPECTRUM meds, with 60 plus known canabinoids, probly more.

The biggest road block im running into is this "is RSO just an older approach to healing cancer with cannabis? or is heavily infused coconut oil, using straight top tier flower going to fail in comparison to ol' Rickys method?

I need to blast this fucking thing out of my fiance's head. period. we have a 9 yr old, we are young, shes 29 with her whole life ahead of her, THANK GOD i was able to talk her family into using cannabis instead of chemo. who knows what condition she'd be in by now if that were the case. meanwhile, shes FINE! its such a scam the way they try and scare you and rush you into chemo/surgery/radiation. she would be MESS had we not just taken a step back to really think about this. (esp. since I watched my father wither away from heavy chemo for years until pneumonia finally killed him, from ZERO immune system. not "CANCER"...

Idk guys, im kinda blabbin. but I need to know if I heavily infuse coconut oil with bud not trim, will this make a big dent in this brain tumor she has? coconut oil alone is amazing for brain tumors, and everything else....so it seems like the best option for a brain tumor? idk. I plan on filling 00 vegan gel capsules with it, and she'd probably have to take a good 4-5 a day (on top of the small dose of state meds that her parents are paying for.)

please guys, I need some definitive answers. I have all the tools at my disposal, I have been a hydro shop guy for 7 years now (working, managing, help setting up new ones) and an indoor cultivator for about 12-13 yrs now.

any info, tips, would be greatly appreciated. I can always count on my guys at IC to help when I need it.

Thanks guys n gals!:thank you:

TicalionStalion....
How is Your wife? I’m curious to know what you ended up doing for treatment and how it has gone for her. Also could you please tell me more about the seizures she was having at night. I am also experiencing some sort of seizures at night...

MedicalMilitia

i have been hearing lots of talk about RSO and after looking into it, making several batches, and doing loads of research im left with the question... dont edibles (made from plant material as opposed to hash infused edibles) contain the full spectrum of cannabinoids with the thc (and some of the cbd, it decarbs at a higher temp) decarboxed just as with the rso? i know alot of people dont like rso or Simpson's instructions to use naptha, or iso, which could possibly leave traces of carcinogenic residue from the solvent which is not good if you already have cancer. alternatively, this is not a concern with cannabis infused edibles. both rso and canna butter are crude extractions that are effective as edibles because of the decarboxylation process. so are they basically the same medicine (full spectrum cannabinoids that are decarbed) or am i missing something. in other words whats the big deal about rso type oil? not trying to step on anyones toes, i just wat to open a dialouge addressing this so we all can learn a bit more about it. long before rick came along it was known that cannabis is good medicine for a wide variety of ailments... i can see it being easier to dose than with other edibles if you cant hold anything down or cant eat but that is the only big advantage i see with it. let me know if im off base here... ) im going to make a batch of HOA next to try that out. from what ive read it seems like its the best form of this type of medicine...

i popped into a local dispensary to see how much they were selling their rso type oil for and it was 150 bucks for a gram! the suggested daily dose is one gram so you can see how fast that could get expensive. i tryed not to laugh (out of respect) but i kinda chuckled at that because i can extract about 5 grams of rso type oil from 1 ounce of good herb which would usually retail for 150 to 200 dollars. even if the retail price was 300 dollars (dispensary prices) that would break down to 60 dollars a gram of oil. obviously its better to make it yourself from your own grow, not only is it way cheaper but you know exactly what is going into (and out of) the oil). on the other hand i can make almost 2lbs of uber potent canna butter from a pound of trim after i run it through my bubble bags. you'd be surprised how much thc and other cannabinoids are left over after collecting the trichome heads. obviously the dose weight between the two is way different but i feel it lasts alot longer in butter form. (i get a lot more doses out of the cannabutter, using equal amounts of herb, compared to the rso.) going back to my original thought, and id love to get some input from anyone who uses rso type oil or edibles to treat an illness, wouldnt we get the same benefits from cannabis infused butter, or infused oil (olive oil, coconut oil, etc...) thanks in advance for your input. i look forward to hearing your experiences and thoughts on the subject.

I am a huge supporter of RSO, I actually make my own with 99% Iso and sometimes with 94% ethanol.

lizzy3

Chemo fails 97% of the time. its pure fact. Cannot go that route. not gonna fuck her up if shes all good right now and its not going to really grow or spread. and its proven that RSO alone has cured brain cancer, even the specific type of tumor my fiance has. coconut oil by itself works wonders for brain tumors, so I like the idea of using it. I might stew an oz. of flower in 16 oz of coconut oil in the crockpot, and halfway (2.5-3 hrs in) introduce some decarbed bubble hash (clean). idk. RSO just takes SOO much more flower to make, and Im not producing on a grand scale, im a 2000W gardener. sometimes dabble in setting up with other people and consulting. but Id like to use full flower extract.

Rick simpson oil is supposed to be a gram a day, well worked up to that. the state meds, she could take her month supply in a day and its still not be hitting a gram a day. *sigh*

Might just have to try and source some pure grain alc. and go RSO to fill the 00 vegan gel caps.

Thanks guys. hopefully more will chime in that have been in my shoes.

hey bud,

sorry to hear of your struggle.
i dont have cancer but very high medical user.
in terms of pure efficiency smoking is by far best bang for buck.
i smoke a LOT.
i also use rso.
i find rso is "better" as essentially its sttronger.
you get more in a smaller amount.

when you make it, load it into 10cc syringes
this makes dosing pretty easy.

it sticks to everything. i try to put it on a little pice of food n swallow like a pill. takes some practice to do without sticking.

you wont be able to get all the oil from the bottom of the pan. i put coconut oil into the pan and reheat it until it becomes homogenous.

then i dump the warm oil into a non stick cake pan and put in the freezer.

you can flavor it before you put in the cake pan. i use sweetener and peanut butter, sometimes ill add coco powder.

when its frozen its easier to take.
stab it with a knife and break into pieces, then swallow like pills.

when i have oil i use 5cc or so ed or so.
5cc makes smoking less necesary.

generally i wont make oil without a kg of material.
good luck!

GET MO

Registered Med User
Veteran
Fuck the clubs, find a grower. Most I ever charged was 100 for a 12 gram syringe, but Ive given away way more than I ever sold. Thats just rediculous. For that price you would be better off growing and processing it yourself.