What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

simpson oil vs canabis infused edibles

relic1981

Veteran
i have been hearing lots of talk about RSO and after looking into it, making several batches, and doing loads of research im left with the question... dont edibles (made from plant material as opposed to hash infused edibles) contain the full spectrum of cannabinoids with the thc (and some of the cbd, it decarbs at a higher temp) decarboxed just as with the rso? i know alot of people dont like rso or Simpson's instructions to use naptha, or iso, which could possibly leave traces of carcinogenic residue from the solvent which is not good if you already have cancer. alternatively, this is not a concern with cannabis infused edibles. both rso and canna butter are crude extractions that are effective as edibles because of the decarboxylation process. so are they basically the same medicine (full spectrum cannabinoids that are decarbed) or am i missing something. in other words whats the big deal about rso type oil? not trying to step on anyones toes, i just wat to open a dialouge addressing this so we all can learn a bit more about it. long before rick came along it was known that cannabis is good medicine for a wide variety of ailments... i can see it being easier to dose than with other edibles if you cant hold anything down or cant eat but that is the only big advantage i see with it. let me know if im off base here... ) im going to make a batch of HOA next to try that out. from what ive read it seems like its the best form of this type of medicine...

i popped into a local dispensary to see how much they were selling their rso type oil for and it was 150 bucks for a gram! the suggested daily dose is one gram so you can see how fast that could get expensive. i tryed not to laugh (out of respect) but i kinda chuckled at that because i can extract about 5 grams of rso type oil from 1 ounce of good herb which would usually retail for 150 to 200 dollars. even if the retail price was 300 dollars (dispensary prices) that would break down to 60 dollars a gram of oil. obviously its better to make it yourself from your own grow, not only is it way cheaper but you know exactly what is going into (and out of) the oil). on the other hand i can make almost 2lbs of uber potent canna butter from a pound of trim after i run it through my bubble bags. you'd be surprised how much thc and other cannabinoids are left over after collecting the trichome heads. obviously the dose weight between the two is way different but i feel it lasts alot longer in butter form. (i get a lot more doses out of the cannabutter, using equal amounts of herb, compared to the rso.) going back to my original thought, and id love to get some input from anyone who uses rso type oil or edibles to treat an illness, wouldnt we get the same benefits from cannabis infused butter, or infused oil (olive oil, coconut oil, etc...) thanks in advance for your input. i look forward to hearing your experiences and thoughts on the subject.

dddaver

Veteran
I just vape flowers and am no expert but if I understand you right I think you are missing that rso is a higher concentration vs butter or edibles. Therefore to get the same amount of medicine into your system as rso you would need to consume a lot more butter or edibles. But that seems too simple and basic. Maybe I misunderstood you.

m314

ICMag Donor
Veteran
You'll have to eat a LOT of cannabutter or other edibles to get the equivalent of 1 gram a day of RSO. It's easier to eat the oil directly or in capsules. Weed infused edibles are great if you need smaller amounts.

$150 a gram is insane, by the way. I've never seen oil that overpriced anywhere.

relic1981

Veteran
I just vape flowers and am no expert but if I understand you right I think you are missing that rso is a higher concentration vs butter or edibles. Therefore to get the same amount of medicine into your system as rso you would need to consume a lot more butter or edibles. But that seems too simple and basic. Maybe I misunderstood you.

i agree with you, i said this exact thing in my post, its easier to consume the oil compared to edibles or butter, but what i am asking is if there are any other benefits besides that with the rso compaired to butter or other edibles. you get all the same cannabinoids and the thc is decarbed in both.

rsteeb

/ic/attachment.php?attachmentid=260719[/img]

i popped into a local dispensary to see how much they were selling their rso type oil for and it was 150 bucks for a gram!...

Harborside offers two types of "full-extract Cannabis oil", ~50% THC with minimal CBD, OR ~20% THC & 20% CBD. The price for either type is $60 for 3.5 grams.

Attachments

• RS0.jpg
    RS0.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 18

relic1981

Veteran
/ic/attachment.php?attachmentid=260719]View Image[/URL]

Harborside offers two types of "full-extract Cannabis oil", ~50% THC with minimal CBD, OR ~20% THC & 20% CBD. The price for either type is $60 for 3.5 grams.

now that seems more like it. i mean this stuff is used almost exclusively by cancer patients and other medical users with serious illnesses. its just wrong to charge 150 a gram, and f'n crazy! cant remember who said it but rso is just like edibles minus the food and butter. do you know which one sells better,..? the high thc, 50% or the high cbd oil, 20%thc and 20% cbd. i have to do some more research on cbd (there is so much info out there and more and more is coming out rapidly due to the high cbd strains making their rounds and the anecdotal reports coming out) and how it interact with thc. from the research ive done so far i believe cbd dosnt negate the medicinal effects of thc it just negates the side effects such as the "high", paranoia, anxiety, etc.. that some patients experience with higher thc, low cbd (traditional) strains. to me the "high" felt adds to the therapeutic qualities of cannabis but the high cbd strains seem promising as far as medicating with. i did recently pick up a high cbd strain (swiss tsunami) for the purpose of making oil out of and experimenting with it for medicinal purposes. as of now its still just a baby, maybe 6inches tall, in a one gallon pot and is vegging very slowly so it will be a while yet before i can take clones from it before putting it into a flower room..

m314

ICMag Donor
Veteran
High THC strains work better for me for insomnia. They work better than any pharmaceutical drug I've tried. High CBD strains are great for lots of other medical uses. I just harvested my first high CBD strain Harlequin a couple months ago.

I hadn't seen that full extract oil from Harborside. $60 an eighth is the best price I've heard for a high CBD oil. I'd buy some if I didn't have my own oils and tinctures here.

Snook

Still Learning
Veteran
I think the simpson oil is heated to a temperature that degrades or diminishes the THC content, leaving behind mainly CBDs. one would not operate at a high skill level consuming a gram a day of that much +THC oil. well not me anyway. I get about 36 cookies out of an ounce of high grade weed (bud) when making butter/cookies...
if one were to eat 5-6 of them, we would see them next Friday..:nono:
on the other hand, I had a cousin that could eat 100 percasets (<?) in 3 days and still be quite mobile.:jawdrop:I don't know how he didn't die.

GreeeeN GRassss

duppy conqueror
Veteran
considering a gram of good hash is over 100 dollars in amsterdam, a gram of something that may save your life its relatively cheap.?

G.O. Joe

Veteran
RSO is not the same, it's worse. See the GC and HPLC: Cannabis oil? That Coleman fuel naphtha they checked is chock full of garbage; VM&P naphtha as-is is horrible IME.

GreeeeN GRassss

duppy conqueror
Veteran
i just dont put a value on life, if it was my mother or father and this treatment worked then yes its cheap.

what value do you put on life ?

m314

ICMag Donor
Veteran
It's not about assigning a value to someone's life. Charging more than 4 times the market rate is just greedy. There's no reason to pay $150 a gram when other dispensaries charge much less.

GreeeeN GRassss

duppy conqueror
Veteran
i agree with you it is very greedy making money off sick patients, will they bring laws in to have a cut off price for cannabis products or can each dispensary charge what they like? is there any quality control ?

i am just saying as you probably know a loved ones life is priceless but i agree with you.

Last edited:

m314

ICMag Donor
Veteran
i agree with you it is very greedy making money off sick patients, will they bring laws in to have a cut off price for cannabis products or can each dispensary charge what they like? is there any quality control ?

i am just saying as you probably know a loved ones life is priceless but i agree with you.

I don't think any of the states in the US will implement price controls. Customers just need to shop around for better deals. Apps like Weedmaps make it easy to compare prices before deciding what to buy.

I'd spend $150 a gram if that was the market price and I had no other way to get it. That's still cheap compared to some pharmaceuticals. People who need high daily doses (like cancer patients) would end up wasting thousands of dollars if they bought that in bulk without comparing prices.