What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Understanding Inorganic Salts and Their Relationship to Plant Nutrition

Grat3fulh3ad

The Voice of Reason
Veteran
Understanding Chemical Salts and Their Relationship to Plant Nutrition

The simplest definition of salt is this. A salt is chemical compound (other than water) formed by a chemical reaction between an acid and a base.

For the purpose of explaining how salts are formed and named and classified, and because of everyone’s familiarity with it, I will be using Table Salt (NaCl) as an example. Please note that table salt only relates to these examples, and has no place in any nutrient and is generally harmful to freshwater microbial and plant life.

The most familiar salt is sodium chloride, the principal component of common table salt. Sodium chloride, NaCl, and water, H2O, are formed by neutralization of sodium hydroxide, NaOH, a base, with hydrogen chloride, HCl, an acid. The reaction is written like this: HCl+NaOH→NaCl+H2O.

Most salts are ionic compounds; they are made up of ions rather than molecules.

The chemical formula for an ionic salt is an empirical formula; it does not represent a molecule but shows the proportion of atoms of the elements that make up the salt. The formula for sodium chloride, NaCl, indicates that equal numbers of sodium and chlorine atoms combine to form the salt. In the reaction of sodium with chlorine, each sodium atom loses an electron, becoming positively charged, and each chlorine atom gains an electron, becoming negatively charged; there are equal numbers of positively charged sodium ions and negatively charged chloride ions in sodium chloride. The ions in a solid salt are usually arranged in a definite crystalline structure, each positive ion being associated with a fixed number of negative ions, and vice versa.

A salt that has neither hydrogen (H) nor hydroxyl (OH) in its formula, e.g., sodium chloride (NaCl), is called a normal salt.

A salt that has hydrogen in its formula, like sodium bicarbonate (NaHCO3), is called an acid salt. A salt that has hydroxyl in its formula, like basic lead nitrate (Pb[OH]NO3), is called a basic salt. Since a salt may react with a solvent to yield different ions than were present in the salt (hydrolysis), a solution of a normal salt may be acidic or basic; e.g., trisodium phosphate, Na3PO4, dissolves in and reacts with water to form a basic solution.

In addition to being classified as normal, acid, or basic, salts are categorized as simple salts, double salts, or complex salts. Simple salts, e.g., sodium chloride, contain only one kind of positive ion (other than the hydrogen ion in acid salts). Double salts contain two different positive ions, like the mineral dolomite, also known as calcium magnesium carbonate, CaMg(CO3)2.
A hydrate is a salt that includes water in its solid crystalline form; Glauber's salt and Epsom salts are hydrates.

Salts are often grouped according to the negative ion they contain, for example, bicarbonate or carbonate, chlorate, chloride, cyanide, fulminate, nitrate, phosphate, silicate, sulfate, or sulfide.

A salt may react with an acid to form a different salt and acid.

Two salts may react with one another (in solution) to form two new salts.

A salt undergoes dissociation when it dissolves in a polar solvent, like water, the extent of dissociation depending both on the salt and the solvent.

The pH of the water influences the potential dissociation.

This is the point where the rubber meets the road, so to speak, and our discussion can move on into plant nutrition. Dissociation is the separation of a substance into atoms or ions. Electrolytic dissociation occurs when an electrolyte is dissolved in a polar solvent. For example, when hydrogen chloride, HCl, is dissolved in water to form hydrochloric acid, most of its molecules dissociate into hydrogen ions (H+) and chloride ions (Cl-). Some pure substances spontaneously dissociate. For example, in pure water some of the molecules dissociate to form hydrogen ions and hydroxyl ions. Dissociation is generally reversible; when the atoms or ions of the dissociated substance are returned to the original conditions, they recombine in the original form of the substance.

Plants can only use elements in their ionic state.

So, since we now know that Common useful natural plant nutrient components, like dolomite lime(calcium magnesium carbonate) and potash (potassium carbonate), are inorganic salts, and since we now know that salts separate into their ionic components in water; nutrients made from inorganic salts don’t have to be such a mystery.

Properly armed with all of the facts, we can eliminate the need for the grower to worry about the salt in their GH flora, or their Pure Blend pro.

There are only two ways to harm your plants, or the microbiology in your soil, using salts. Introducing salts containing toxic elements, and over concentrating salts.

Obviously, no successful nutrient formula uses salts containing elements which are toxic to plants, So I’m just going to address the concentration issue.

How can more of what a plant needs be harmful?

As the concentration of a salt in a solution of water rises, the dissociation which frees up the ion to be used by the plant as nutrient, begins to reverse. This not only strengthens the ionic bonds within the salts, making less of each ion available for uptake, but it also disrupts the plants osmotic potential (ability to intake water). Just as salty food can make a person thirsty, salty soil can dehydrate a plant.

This is the main reason that the ‘less is more’ type of GenHydro approach is so effective, and the reason that the solution to a nutrient deficiency is not always to add more of said nutrient.

Salts in my organics?
The Salt Index (SI) is a measure of the salt concentration that a given fertilizer induces in the soil solution.

The salt index is estimated by measuring the amount of electric current that a 1% solution will conduct. The higher the soluble salt content, the more current the product will conduct.

The SI of a material is expressed as the ratio of the increase in osmotic pressure of the salt solution produced by a specific fertilizer to the osmotic pressure of the same weight of Sodium Nitrate (NaNO3), which is based on a relative value of 100. Sodium nitrate was chosen as the standard because it was completely water soluble and it was a commonly used nitrogen fertilizer when the SI concept was first proposed.

Knowing the salt index of a given fertilizer gives us a tool to gauge the potential harm to the plant, and the potential harm to the soil microbiology, and gives us an idea of how dilute given fertilizers need to be.

The higher the salt index, the higher the tendency of the product to cause injury to seed germination. The salt index supplies no information as to the quality of the product or quantity or quality of plant food. Most starter fertilizer products on the market that are being recommended for placement on the seed have a salt index in the range of 40-50. A product with a salt index over this range will not necessarily result in seed damage, but the tendency of the product for this problem is higher if conditions are not ideal.

Double nutrient salts, such as ammonium phosphate and monopotassium
phosphate, help keep the salt index down.

Here is a list of some common Organic and Inorganic fertilizers' SI:

Sodium nitrate - 100
Potassium Sulfate- 43 (potash)
Calcium Sulfate - 8 (gypsum)
Manure salts - 92
Seabird guano - 43
Feather meal - 1.4
Bone meal - 1.8
Blood meal - 2.8
Meat and bone meal - 3.9
Ammonia - 47
Ammonium sulfate - 68
Urea -74
Mono-potassium phosphate - 9
Potassium chloride - 120
Potassium sulfate - 43
Calcium nitrate - 55
Super phosphate - 10
Ammonium phosphate - 32

Note: Manure salts are the water soluble salts present in manure. Manures commonly contain 4 to 5% soluble salts (dry weight basis) and may run as high as 10%. You can't measure the EC of the manure itself, so the salts have to be dissolved in water at the appropriate concentration for comparison.

A common misconception is that organic fertilizers are safer for plants and the environment than inorganic (chemical) products. Another common misconception is that organic fertilizers contain no salts. Many organic materials contain high levels of salts. These salts will burn plants if organic materials are over-applied. Improper organic fertilizer application may induce a plant nutrient deficiency or toxicity, or cause salt burn. Properly used, both organic and inorganic fertilizers are safe for plants and the environment.

Last edited:

imnotcrazy

There is ALWAYS meaning to my madness ®
Veteran
Par for the course:

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Grat3fulh3ad again.

Definitely a good read H3ad

Maj.PotHead

End Cannibis Prohibition Now Realize Legalize !!
Mentor
Veteran
thx buddy just make me more happy only things not organic i use are calmag+,sweet all the rest is organic good read

Grat3fulh3ad

The Voice of Reason
Veteran
Several people have asked about salt killing microbial life in the soil.
Seems there are some points here that should yet be discussed.

Salts absolutely do NOT automaticly kill the microbial life!!

ONLY by over-concentrating the salts, or introducing toxic salts can you kill your 'microherd'.

You have to know what you're doing to use salts properly, but it's not difficult once you know.

Here are a couple of excerpts from articles involving salts and microbes...

These results suggest that, while salt stress may cause a significant reduction in the number of microorganisms in a soil, a large portion of the microbial population can rapidly adapt to marked changes in salinity.
From this study... http://www.springerlink.com/content/7w57489574n6h374/

The effects of balanced and unbalanced high-salt nutrient solutions on soil microorganisms were studied with the aid of fluorescence microscopy. Changes in microbial activity were determined by evaluation of direct counts, degree of colonization, colonization patterns, and distribution of bacteria throughout the soil samples. Although both types of salt solutions inhibited growth at high levels of osmotic stress (–1000, –1500, and –2000 kPa), the balanced salt formulation stimulated growth at less negative osmotic potentials (–500 kPa).
From this one... http://www.springerlink.com/content/k27537102u24l154/

There are plenty more examples out there... but there is really no need to hunt them up...

Do people think that dolomite lime kills microbes? Potash?

Salts don't have to be scary.
Salts used properly are NOT fatal to soil microbiology, and anyone who states differently is misinformed greatly.

Last edited:

drrico

It tickles me to no end to see folks discuss science stuff. Thanks for tossing that into the conversation pool, Head.

(Ps, Casey Jones rawks; Seedbay rawks, too).

Grat3fulh3ad

The Voice of Reason
Veteran
:D Science rawks as well, drrico... One thing that it is hard to rely on, is information from people making money from one product or another... There is an entire economy built around the idea that anything synthesized or chemical is somehow inherently harmful... and those who have interest in that economy have some interesting science sometimes, and seem interested in somewhat propagating misinformation... That's why so many hear 'salt' and react with fear... imho

Grat3fulh3ad

The Voice of Reason
Veteran
Some more information, which will end up edited into the original article when I have time...

The Salt Index (SI) is a measure of the salt concentration that a given fertilizer induces in the soil solution.

The salt index is estimated by measuring the amount of electric current that a 1% solution will conduct. The higher the soluble salt content, the more current the product will conduct.

The SI of a material is expressed as the ratio of the increase in osmotic pressure of the salt solution produced by a specific fertilizer to the osmotic pressure of the same weight of Sodium Nitrate (NaNO3), which is based on a relative value of 100. Sodium nitrate was chosen as the standard because it was completely water soluble and it was a commonly used nitrogen fertilizer when the SI concept was first proposed.

Knowing the salt index of a given fertilizer gives us a tool to gauge the potential harm to the plant, and the potential harm to the soil microbiology, and gives us an idea of how dilute given fertilizers need to be.

The higher the salt index, the higher the tendency of the product to cause injury to seed germination. The salt index supplies no information as to the quality of the product or quantity or quality of plant food. Most starter fertilizer products on the market that are being recommended for placement on the seed have a salt index in the range of 40-50. A product with a salt index over this range will not necessarily result in seed damage, but the tendency of the product for this problem is higher if conditions are not ideal.

Double nutrient salts, such as ammonium phosphate and monopotassium
phosphate, help keep the salt index down.

Here is a list of some common Organic and Inorganic fertilizers' SI:

Sodium nitrate - 100
Potassium Sulfate- 43 (potash)
Calcium Sulfate - 8 (gypsum)
Manure salts - 92
Seabird guano - 43
Feather meal - 1.4
Bone meal - 1.8
Blood meal - 2.8
Meat and bone meal - 3.9
Ammonia - 47
Ammonium sulfate - 68
Urea -74
Mono-potassium phosphate - 9
Potassium chloride - 120
Potassium sulfate - 43
Calcium nitrate - 55
Super phosphate - 10
Ammonium phosphate - 32

A common misconception is that organic fertilizers are safer for plants and the environment than inorganic (chemical) products. Another common misconception is that organic fertilizers contain no salts. Many organic materials contain high levels of salts. These salts will burn plants if organic materials are over-applied. Improper organic fertilizer application may induce a plant nutrient deficiency or toxicity, or cause salt burn. Properly used, both organic and inorganic fertilizers are safe for plants and the environment.

From Ohio State University Extension
Department of Horticulture and Crop Science:

High levels of organic materials applied to soil may increase salts in soil, impair seed germination and reduce plant stands. Most organic materials also contain much more potassium than magnesium or calcium. Long term application of this material to soils may raise the ratio of potassium to magnesium and calcium sufficiently to retard crop growth. To adjust the ratio, additional magnesium and/or calcium may have to be added as dolomitic or calcitic limestone

inflorescence

Veteran
This thread just keeps getting better and better. :

So when they say "manure salts" in the salt index are they talking about raw manures, composted manures or what about liquid composts?

Grat3fulh3ad

The Voice of Reason
Veteran
Manure salts are the water soluble salts present in manure. Manures commonly contain 4 to 5% soluble salts (dry weight basis) and may run as high as 10%. You can't measure the EC of the manure itself, so the salts have to be dissolved in water at the appropriate concentration for comparison.

I

In Vino Veritas

I wanted to mix 1part Peat, 1part Verm, 1part Perlite, dolomite lime, with some organic compost, blood, and bone meal.. and supplement with flora nova bloom..

I've run soiless before and fed with just gh and got great results, should I not bother with the extra hassle? Maybe change my ratios?

Grat3fulh3ad

The Voice of Reason
Veteran
You should do whatever works best for you... I find using GH flora micro and GH flora bloom in Coco is the simplest way to grow excellent buds. I really am against adding too much to my reservoir, or to my medium. Nothing but ions dissociated from purified mineral compounds suspended in a polar solvent, perfectly ready to attach to a root hair...

I

In Vino Veritas

Yea you're right. I mix 1 part equal Perlite, Vermiculate, Peatmoss, and some Dolomite Lime.. I used to feed like you, GH Lucas.. Lately I've been using Flora Nova..

Would you suggest I change my ratios? Maybe all Peat/Perlite and some Lime?

Grat3fulh3ad

The Voice of Reason
Veteran
any comparisson to offer between the flora nova and modified lucas and the supplimented soil mix, in vino veratas?