What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

One light or two?

CannaRed

Cannabinerd
For a given space (3 x 3) is it better to have 1 led or two?

For instance I was looking at the Roleadro Led lights that was mentioned in led thread as being a great cheap light.
Would it best for one 2000 that covers a 3 x 3 , or two 1000's

For that matter I could get 4 that each cover a 1.5 x 1.5.

If all the components are the same would it be better to get 2 lights, so there are multiple points of light?

Sure the extra driver would cause extra heat but would the trade off be worth it?

Thanks for your help

I always recommend multiple points of lights opposed to a single source so you can spread the PPFD more evenly over your area, and it's more versatile. But I'd wait for our giveaway before pulling the trigger, as you may get a free one to test ;)

Lost in a SOG

GrassSnakeGenetics
better spread is always better.

Personally those epiled leds dont seem like the best use of the wattage to me. Because thats what you're buying remember.. x amount of 3 or 10w epiled leds that are well packaged.

R

Rab.C

i am going too start saving for 2 x SANlight Q6W for my next setup

Lost in a SOG

GrassSnakeGenetics
i am going too start saving for 2 x SANlight Q6W for my next setup

I like the look of them and those huge heatsinks will guarantee a great lifespan. Not a bad choice at all..

There are very few "bad" choices thesedays everything will grow mj..

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
IMHO 2000w in a 3x3 is overkill. 1000w is more than sufficient. More doesn't necessary mean better. To answer your Q ... yes by all means go with multiples. Over time I have collected various formulas to help with calcs. A*750 (desired PPFD)=PPFD req'd, where A is area in M2 (meter square). PPFD*1.4=W req'd

• 2x2 = W198 (PPFD Req'd 277.5)
  • 3x3 = W429 (PPFD Req'd 600)
  • 4x4 = W771 (PPFD Req'd 1080)
  • 5x5 = W814 (PPFD Req'd 1140)
IMO 2x600W will be more than sufficient to handle the job and, if you really want multiples, 4x 300W

Koondense

Veteran
I think you're talking different things.
OP is talking about led models with "equivalent" watts in the name, you Switcher are talking hps. Or at least I believe so :) Also there's a feet or meters confusion lol.

My take on this, for a 3x3(feet) you go with either 400W hps, 315W CMD or a good(real watts) 300W led.
With led you can spread multiple units but it will initially cost you more, on the longer term you'll get the best option.
My pick would be 2x 200W(or 240W) QB led with dimming option, maybe a bit overkill but when dimmed it gets more efficient.

Cheers

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
OP is talking about led models with "equivalent" watts in the name, you Switcher are talking hps. Or at least I believe so :) Also there's a feet or meters confusion lol.
Change your ft2 to m2 :) Is that formula specifically formulated for HPS? I don't know. I thought it was universal.

My take on this, for a 3x3(feet) you go with either 400W hps, 315W CMD or a good(real watts) 300W led.
With led you can spread multiple units but it will initially cost you more, on the longer term you'll get the best option.
My pick would be 2x 200W(or 240W) QB led with dimming option, maybe a bit overkill but when dimmed it gets more efficient.

Cheers

I'd highly recommend that anyone looking at Quantum Boards waits until the HLG vs HGL side by side (which is posted in the side-by-sides section) is complete.

It's true as Lost in a SOG said, that almost anything can grow plants these days. But that's like saying almost any car will get you from New York to Miami. When one car gets 20mpg and the other 35mpg, it costs you a lot less to get to Miami with the latter.

The same is true with grow lights, just because we all grow does not mean the results are the same. Our side-by-side history as a company proves this. So if you're just looking for something that grows, buy something cheap on Aliexpress and save yourself some $. But if you want something that grows well, take a look at our old and upcoming side by sides to see who's going to give you the best results.

DARKSIDER

Official Seed Tester
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I'd highly recommend that anyone looking at Quantum Boards waits until the HLG vs HGL side by side (which is posted in the side-by-sides section) is complete.

It's true as Lost in a SOG said, that almost anything can grow plants these days. But that's like saying almost any car will get you from New York to Miami. When one car gets 20mpg and the other 35mpg, it costs you a lot less to get to Miami with the latter.

The same is true with grow lights, just because we all grow does not mean the results are the same. Our side-by-side history as a company proves this. So if you're just looking for something that grows, buy something cheap on Aliexpress and save yourself some $. But if you want something that grows well, take a look at our old and upcoming side by sides to see who's going to give you the best results.

Wheres this side by side section HGL... ive just spent 1700 on quantum boards within the last 24 hours to cover 2x 5x5 areas what would the cost of these others have been curious now :tiphat:

Wheres this side by side section HGL... ive just spent 1700 on quantum boards within the last 24 hours to cover 2x 5x5 areas what would the cost of these others have been curious now :tiphat:

Here is the latest side by side with HLG's unreleased Trinity model against (4) Penetrator 84X units: https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=362238

We are supposed to have a 126X vs 315W CMH grow beginning soon (waiting to hear back from tester), and next month will be a second run of (4) 84X against the HLG 550 Rspec V2 by member BigPerm. I'm so confident in the outcome of the test, I wanted it run twice by two different members so the results are hard to dispute.

At this time I am developing a new quantum board that will run our 6-band RGB white spectrum. My prototype should be ready in about 3-4 weeks, and if testing goes as planned it will be released within 2-3 weeks thereafter. The nice prospect of a quantum board is that SMD LEDs are both a lot cheaper, and because they run at lower drive currents more efficient than the 3W LEDs we currently run. They also have a wider dispersion angle without the lens technology.

With our X3 lights the max coverage we have for any single fixture (for cannabis) is a 4x4. That fixture is $1599 with a 5 year warranty and a 120-day 100% money-back guarantee. Right now we have a deal on ICMag for the first 10 adopters to get 25% off their first order and 25% off for life after posting a journal. So two of these units would run about $2400 shipped.

Once our own quantum boards are complete, the price will be a lot more inline with those currently available, but our X3 line is a lot more costly to build because it uses more components (and RGB LEDs are more expensive than white).

Also I thought I should congratulate you CannaRed. You won our 84X by default. Am hoping you will do us the honor of running it in a side-by-side against your CLW model. :biggrin::tiphat:

KokoKush

I've always like the idea of more than one light. Gives you opportunities to experiment a bit. Ps thanks Hydro grow lights! Can't wait to try out the 42x!

CannaRed

Cannabinerd
Here is the latest side by side with HLG's unreleased Trinity model against (4) Penetrator 84X units: https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=362238

We are supposed to have a 126X vs 315W CMH grow beginning soon (waiting to hear back from tester), and next month will be a second run of (4) 84X against the HLG 550 Rspec V2 by member BigPerm. I'm so confident in the outcome of the test, I wanted it run twice by two different members so the results are hard to dispute.

At this time I am developing a new quantum board that will run our 6-band RGB white spectrum. My prototype should be ready in about 3-4 weeks, and if testing goes as planned it will be released within 2-3 weeks thereafter. The nice prospect of a quantum board is that SMD LEDs are both a lot cheaper, and because they run at lower drive currents more efficient than the 3W LEDs we currently run. They also have a wider dispersion angle without the lens technology.

With our X3 lights the max coverage we have for any single fixture (for cannabis) is a 4x4. That fixture is $1599 with a 5 year warranty and a 120-day 100% money-back guarantee. Right now we have a deal on ICMag for the first 10 adopters to get 25% off their first order and 25% off for life after posting a journal. So two of these units would run about $2400 shipped.

Once our own quantum boards are complete, the price will be a lot more inline with those currently available, but our X3 line is a lot more costly to build because it uses more components (and RGB LEDs are more expensive than white).

Also I thought I should congratulate you CannaRed. You won our 84X by default. Am hoping you will do us the honor of running it in a side-by-side against your CLW model. :biggrin::tiphat:

Sounds great! Can't believe I lucked out like that!!!

CannaRed

Cannabinerd
Thanks so much for this opportunity. I've been needing another light. I have never had a brand new light. Always second hand. So happy!!!!

Koondense

Veteran
Side by sides are great but honestly, there are so much documented grows with cobs and qbs that it's fair to say these lights are on top spot especially when you consider the starting expense of buying them.
My cobs pull a consistent 1,3-1,6g/W with not so high yielding plants, the qbs are in the same league or slightly better than cobs.
It's common knowledge at this point.

Cheers

Latest posts

Latest posts