What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Shen Zhen Bava vs smilley

smilley

Veteran
Hi GG. This is the best the C99 have done this year. The buds never really fatten so although they look impressive they won't produce a monster yield. Maybe 40g per plant? The C99 will be chopped in the next 3 or 4 days, I'll try and get some harvest pics.

Day F57

picture.php

Below are Blueberry pics. All of the big fans yellowed and died about 10 days ago. This probably goes right back to the initial placement under the leds at 22 inches. Way too close. I've got the canopy now at 25 inches and even dimmed the fixture slightly. They were fed for the first time yesterday since I flushed them. I still expect them to finish but obviously their not the prettiest and yield will probably suffer. The buds and sugar leafs seem healthy so we'll see how they turn out.

picture.php

picture.php

smilley

Veteran
And here are the Purple Kush x Blueberry. They managed to retain some of their fans. These buds tend to grow egg shaped unlike the BB's that tend to grow longer cylindrical shaped. Still 3 - 4 weeks to go. They.ll fatten right up to harvest.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

SuperBadGrower

The blueberry sure is a looker. C99 looks like a bastard to trim ;). Great job and I'm looking forward to your final verdict after such a long time of using HPS.

smilley

Veteran
SBG - The C99's are a pain to harvest. After a 2 month cure though, the bud is excellent.

Day F63 C99 Harvest Pics

Lots of resin but a bastard to manicure like SBG said...

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

smilley

Veteran
Day F64

Day F64

And then there were seven.

picture.php

Below is the blueberry that I shoehorned into the grow back at the start. It was under the canopy when I cooked the girls at 22 inches in the last week of veg so she isn't showing the effects like the other plants. This is what the BB's should look like.

picture.php

picture.php

Below are the 3 BB's that got cooked. I pulled a bud to scope the trics and they're not ready yet. I'm disappointed in them, the buds are small and I'm keeping my fingers crossed that they'll fatten up but I'm not holding my breath. I guess I should be happy that I didn't kill them....

picture.php

picture.php

smilley

Veteran
primobud- Looks like I'll yield enough this crop to get through till November as long as I don't go crazy making hash. I still have 150g from last crop.

Day F71

Getting close to the end now. The blueberry buds are firming up and swelling and the purple kush x blueberry are doing really good. I'm going out of town for a few days later in the week so I'll probably chop everything in 8 -10 days. The trics are still only clear and cloudy, no amber yet.

picture.php

Blueberry

picture.php

Purple Kushx Blueberry

picture.php

picture.php

smilley

Veteran
Hi Starke - Thanks and yes quite satisfied. I'll elaborate below.

Day F 84

First I'd like to apologize for delaying the conclusion of this thread. I was out of town for a while and I was hoping to have a final dry weight for the crop.

I harvested the last 7 plants between Day F80 and F82. It'll be a couple more days till it's all dry but I'll make an estimate of 375 - 400g. Easily on a par with the 600hps. Once I have things dialed in I believe the Bava fixture will produce about 500g per crop or 1g per watt depending on strain. The best I ever achieved in my space with the 600hps was 398g with a rough average of about 360g.

First, I'd like to discuss the grow. Was it perfect? No, far from it, I cooked the plants the first week under the fixture and and then again near the end of stretch. I had mites early in flower and I would have liked to veg the plants another 8 - 10 inches taller but I was constrained by my harvest date requirements.

The lower buds on some of the outside corner plants were a little fluffy but a good cure will tighten them up a bit. I got some color out of one of the C99's and the smaller BB that I shoe horned into the crop was showing some color at the end. It didn't get cooked like the other BB's and had firmer buds. It's hard to quantify resin production but I try to gauge it at harvest by how sticky my fingers get manicuring. I could be wrong but I believe the leds produced more resin than the hps. The C99's have been dry for about a month now, everybody that I've smoked it with say it's killer. I think it's stronger than the first 2 crops with the hps and I'm sure with another month of cure it'll taste awesome. All in all I'm very happy with the first results and I'm looking forward to starting the next season in 2 months.

The Shen Zhen Bava QB 480 is a serious horticultural fixture. Easily a direct replacement for a 600hps. I don't know if it would outperform a 1000hps but in the right hands it would be a competitive match. For non-commercial growers like myself it's a reasonable option to replace a 1000hps with it's cooler temps, lower power consumption and no re-bulbing costs. In my case, I think the Bava will have payed for itself in power savings and bulb replacement costs in about 3 years.

This fixture is only available from China. That's it's biggest plus and minus. It cost 60% less than the HLG 550 but if it malfunctions you're shit outta luck. Shipping costs to China for warranty or repairs would cost as much or more than the total price of the fixture delivered. The product was well packaged for shipping and arrived in 6 days from China. If your tight for cash and willing to take the risk it's definitely significantly cheaper than a similar product purchased in North America. I took the chance and I'm very happy I did.

I'm going to add a pair of "far-red initiator pucks"for next season although it's an excellent stand alone fixture as is. It will satisfy even the most discerning hobby grower.

Shen Zhen Bava beats smilley on points hands down. I'm looking forward to a rematch next season, lol. Thanks for bearing with me and happy growing......

Latest posts

Latest posts