What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Myco/Mychorrhizae Products: What Do YOU Swear By And Why?

G

Stewart169, bang on. :)

f-e, that's gross! lol, both the brand quality and the veggie meat. LOL

Thank you. :D
Oh for sure Im NOT picking any side. Im admittedly not informed enough to do so on this and subjects like this but I hope I learn more than those who dont even bother.

As a small grower using a small package of a product like the ones debated here isnt a big deal for me. Im sure it wont hurt and might help. Jury is out. And for me $10-15 isnt a big deal. For the larger growers though its obvious how much the cost can add up and the camps go from wasting a significant amount of money to missing out on a significant amount of flower. That is why I can see the level of disagreement but wish it would stay civil. Personally if I were a large grower and wanted to keep my secrets for success I sure as hell wouldn't give them out on an open forum.

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Re: information sharing.

We float or sink together. In the days of industrial cannabis, what else? What is happening now is a fraction of the scale when the UN opens global trade. Giants of industry in California will be classed as mom and pop operations. I can hardly think of more than a handful of people on this forum that will even be playing on that field.

Dougie and I butt heads. At the end of the day all you can do is provide information, everyone makes their own choices.

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
Oh for sure Im NOT picking any side. Im admittedly not informed enough to do so on this and subjects like this but I hope I learn more than those who dont even bother.
This attitude will get you much farther than most in life. :) Congrats.

stewart169 said:
As a small grower using a small package of a product like the ones debated here isnt a big deal for me. Im sure it wont hurt and might help. Jury is out. And for me $10-15 isnt a big deal. For the larger growers though its obvious how much the cost can add up and the camps go from wasting a significant amount of money to missing out on a significant amount of flower. That is why I can see the level of disagreement but wish it would stay civil. Personally if I were a large grower and wanted to keep my secrets for success I sure as hell wouldn't give them out on an open forum.
This is the crux of the matter right here. The main meat of the BBQ, so to speak. At the end of the day, spending $12 on something in a home/hobby grow is nothing. I've watched people buy probably millions of dollars in wasted equipment and nutes over the years. With the price dropping from prohibition reduction, the commercial growers are reducing waste and streamlining processes.

In a commercial op, even the time required for proper application counts. Without a return you can measure as significant, you are not going to see repeat use of the product. At least one university in Canada is studying cannabis, I'm sure we'll know more in a few years. :D

:tiphat:

TanzanianMagic

Veteran
Here is a cheap and very effective solution.

I just received another bail of hemp bedding from a pet store.

It contains mycorrhizal fungi, compatible with hemp/cannabis/weed.

It is made from easily dissolvable carbon to feed the fungi. To the top of your soil, add some oat flakes or non-sprouting seeds, and cover with half an inch of hemp bedding.

It also slows evaporation, saves water, stabilizes the medium for mycorrhizae.

On top of that, use either a fixed water reservoir, or bottom watering. Avoid top watering as much as possible.

Anyone try photosynthesis plus? Just got a bottle going to try it out. Haven't heard any bad reviews. A buddy of mine said it kept plants more lush throughout flower and his leaves didn't start to fade naturally longer than he usually experienced.

mexweed

Veteran
everything I use has fungi, the soil, what I mix into the soil, what I top dress with, and what I aerate to water with

BombBudPuffa

Veteran
Anyone try photosynthesis plus? Just got a bottle going to try it out. Haven't heard any bad reviews. A buddy of mine said it kept plants more lush throughout flower and his leaves didn't start to fade naturally longer than he usually experienced.

It is incredible but it stinks bad so be prepared...it's like the devil farted haha.

djonkoman

Veteran
Here is a cheap and very effective solution.

I just received another bail of hemp bedding from a pet store.

It contains mycorrhizal fungi, compatible with hemp/cannabis/weed.

It is made from easily dissolvable carbon to feed the fungi. To the top of your soil, add some oat flakes or non-sprouting seeds, and cover with half an inch of hemp bedding.

It also slows evaporation, saves water, stabilizes the medium for mycorrhizae.

On top of that, use either a fixed water reservoir, or bottom watering. Avoid top watering as much as possible.

kind of unrelated to the thread, but I experimented with that stuff as a mulch(with vegetables). wasn't satisfied with it.
my alternative is straw. the first while after aplying straw mulch it's prone to be blown away by wind, making a mess(after it starts degrading a bit it's fine). it also grows some wheat and another grass seedlings that I'll have to pull out.

hemp bedding is heavier, so as hoped it's not blown away by wind. it does give seedlings of one specific weed(not hemp, although the seedlings look a bit similar at first), but they're easily pulled out.

however, the hemp bedding compacts more since they're smaller, heavier bits, and forms a kind of solid layer that hinders water infiltration. straw stays nice and airy.

plants in the containers with hemp bedding mulch also greatly underperformed, but I can't say wether that was due to the hemp mulch or the specific soilmix in those containers(or some other variable). but the water pooling on top I could clearly see, and when I removed some I felt how it stuck together into one crust over the whole surface of the pot.

M

Mr D

What difference did you notice when you started using it?

I noticed faster and bigger growth within a couple days on plants in flower and veg. Running 10 different strains, everything from pure sativas to pure indicas and every one of them responded noticeably.

I'm growing in Roots 707 mix amended with pelite and worm castings. My garden is sativa heavy so most times it's just plain tap water unless the plants are asking for something more. I use citric acid to ph adjust my water to 6.5 - 6.8 range.

Their foliar spray and root dip product was just as impressive. Took some cuts and put the in the fridge for a couple weeks. When I pulled them out they looked bad, floppy and wilted. Recut em, dip in rooting gel and in to a rapid rooter. After a week in the dome very little improvement and one had to be culled. One foliar application and they came alive within hours.

Overall I really like the Photo plus and from seed to harvest i don't see any reason why I'd need to use that much of it. So it's one "snake oil" that I'm going to keep in stock.

BombBudPuffa

Veteran
What difference did you notice when you started using it?

Overall plant vigor on everything I've tried it on. I wouldn't use it every watering though. I'd do the first inoculation, then the follow up, then I'd wait a few weeks before reapplying it. A lil goes a long way.

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
I hear trichoderma isn't really something you need to add. It's so prevelant in nearly every environment it's ridiculous. I've never added it and it's in all my soil plants, lol. Heck, it was everywhere when I was trying to grow enoki mushrooms. Bleah! lol

YMMV though. :) In other news, the myco experiment I was running has finished. I'll be posting up the results by the end of next week. (all things permitting. lol)

Cvh

Supermod
Great. Can't wait to see your results D.C.

Maybe you can do next some comparison tests with bacteria products VS AACT (Actively Aerated Compost Tea) in comparison to a standard organic soil.

beta

Veteran
Is there any benefit to using myco / trich / bacteria in a coco DTW (hydro) system? I'm feeding ionic nutrients directly so there's no need for soil bacteria to convert the nutrients into a usable form for the plants, but I'm wondering if there are other benefits. Maybe protection against root pathogens? Can myco / trich / bacteria even survive in coco DTW without organic matter?

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Trichoderma has a high tolerance to soil salinity but is already present in coco unless properly pasteurized.