What's new

How does the community feel about people reproducing seeds?

I tracked down someone who has a very rare pack of seeds from a particular breeder. The strain isn't available anymore except in strain form.

Just for the sake of being respectful towards the breeder and community I'd like to know what you think of the practice of reproducing these old seeds and then selling them?

So my thinking was to take the seeds, grow them out. Select the best male and best female and let them polinate each other. I then wanted to take the resulting seeds and hand them out and also sell some of them so we can bring this strain back into the world.

I will contact the breeder to ask for his permission.
Just wanted to know what is the general thinking about this practice and whether or not it is frowned upon?

Thanks

GOT_BUD?

Weed is a gateway to gardening
ICMag Donor
Veteran
If you're going to do this, I would let all of the seeds grow out and cross pollinate everything to try and capture all of the available expressions of the plant in seed form.

What you might determine to be the "best plants" might not meet the criteria of myself, for instance.

I plan on doing this with an old pack AK47 I have when I have the space. Growing all 11 seeds out and letting them cross pollinate. Then start sifting through the seeds looking for the Cherry AK pheno.

I don't plan on selling any of these seeds though. Once I find what I'm looking for I will probably gift the rest.

grayeyes

Hey, if I buy or obtain seeds they and what I am going to do with them is up to me.

Grow 'em, pollinate and keep working with them.

Another reason not to buy feminized seed.

rolandomota

Veteran
The real question here is if those seeds will even grow they might be too old. And who cares what people think. What strain is it?

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hey, if I buy or obtain seeds they and what I am going to do with them is up to me.

Grow 'em, pollinate and keep working with them.

Another reason not to buy feminized seed.

'Tis true, although a mention of the breeder is always respectable.

I like to think if a seedline is discontinued you are only doing others a service by reproducing them.

however if a seed line is meant to be given out freely in the name of sharing, specified by the curator and or originator of the strain like molokai frost and 88g13hp then that is what you should do

all strains should be shared freely so we can make a better plant, afterall that's what it's all about

paradoxically i would still purchase either of those two strains just to maintain them

adding a mention of the breeder is good etiquette and being nice to people in the community also helps.

going out of your way to be generous with your prices and giving free seeds will also put some sun on your back

there are many ways you can show respect to other breeders, some seed reproductions are very similar to what other breeders are offering originally and that makes it their bread and butter. It would only detract from their business if you released it, think carefully and do what feels right.

i hope this works as a nice guide post, good luck

MAHA KALA

atomizing haze essence
Veteran
I dont know what variety it is.. but you cant reproduce variety by using only two parents. that is not reproduction. so I feel about it as watered down version of whatever it is..

J-Icky

Like others have said, if you are going to grow them and they are as rare as you say, the first run should be grow them all and just let them do their thing. If you’re really set on working the line and want to do a specific cross of the “best male and best female” then take clones and once that first open pollination is done take the clones from what you believed to be the best and do your cross then.
Regardless of what you want to do it would still be a good idea to take clones of all plants. The reason being is if you get one male that pops way before the rest then most of the future generations will be determined by that one male. If you take clones of all you can collect pollen from every male and then take all the females and dusts branch on each female with the different males. At that point you can either just mix the seeds when done or if your dedicated you could take notes of which is which and do a very legit breeding with those in the future. You may end up surprised to find that what you thought were the best male and female may not be the best down the line and in fact that what you consider average or poor plants could turn out to be the best parents or grandparents and may lead you to the best results in the future.
Genetics are a crazy thing and we as humans are just starting to scratch the surface of understanding them. I will tell you it’s not as basic as mendal but that is a very good starting point.

kamyo

Veteran
In my opinion, documentation is key. Mom used, dad used, original stock used, etc. Take something like NL for example. Everyone has their version, but it's nearly impossible to figure out who used whose stock and when. Of course, it was harder back then and a lot of breeders don't exactly throw out that sort of information freely, but I think you get my point.

As fun as it is to spend hours, days, and weeks trying to untangle the lineage of a pack of seeds, it can consume you, and good documentation - especially with all of the technology we have - could help solve all of that.

romanoweed

Regardless of what you want to do it would still be a good idea to take clones of all plants. The reason being is if you get one male that pops way before the rest then most of the future generations will be determined by that one male. If you take clones of all you can collect pollen from every male and then take all the females and dusts branch on each female with the different males..

Any Evidence on that theory?

BabTaHerbless

I dont know what variety it is.. but you cant reproduce variety by using only two parents. that is not reproduction. so I feel about it as watered down version of whatever it is..

well,not true at all. as you teach me, selecting and back crossing should be a good kick star.
dont'you think?

Mohadib

Veteran
Any Evidence on that theory?

I suppose you misunderstood that statement, as what J-Icky said is pretty self evident, given that the females in the room are flowering already as well. It's not about some kind of theoretical 'genetic' or 'botanic' principle, but about the fact, that an early flowering male has the chance to pollinate any present females before any later flowering male. Once the females are completely pollinated by that early male, there's no remaining capacity for the females to be pollinated by later flowering males. So it's just about time really ;)

romanoweed

I meant exactly that i, but i ask for evidence. I meant manmade open pollination. Has someone seen this happening, that only early males loves them all, and do have late males still a secound chance later on?. Probably it sounded like i cant believe that, but i didnt meant it that way. Internet is strange cause one cant hear the tone of speach.. So, do you know this, or do you think it is? Seen it yourselve

Last edited:

CaptainDankness

As long as you are honest about your work it ain't a problem. Look how many people have profited from White Widow Shantibaba changed the name because of it. Of course Arjans story could be real, doubtful but whatever.

Plenty sell Blueberry cheaper than DJ with a decent reputation. Kind of shady, I'd rather go to the original breeder most of the time myself. But if it's overpriced like Jack Herrer or you just can't find it anymore I'm all for F2's. Lol, really price of Blueberry and the countless people with bad germination rates are the only reason I have not purchased anything from DJ Short. I've done a lot of hybrids of his work.

Seeds I wanna reproduce

Seeds I wanna reproduce

I thought I got the seeds, but turns out the seller didn't wanna sell them. Found a guy who had Bodhi's Hollywood Pure Kush and thought it would be cool to reproduce them as this is quite a hard strain to find these days. Anyone got some Hollywood Pure Kush lying around :)?

Thanks for all the answers

Latest posts

Latest posts