What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Movies - How Did I Miss That?

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
Ever stumble on a great movie that rocked, thinking "How come I never heard of this movie?"

I have a few:
- Cloud Atlas
- High Plains Invaders (B movie)
- Humanity's End (B movie)
- Push
- The Man From Earth
picture.php

GOT_BUD?

Weed is a gateway to gardening
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Boondock Saints was like that for me.

Same with the Usual Suspects. And Clerks.

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
Hey thanks :)
My father cultivated a B-movie addiction in me as a kid, and I've always loved obscure movies.

One of my favorites is "Improper Channels" with Marietta Hartley and Alan Arkin.
It never made it to dvd, which doesn't surprise me due to the content. it's about a couple who has their child wrongly abducted by CPS. It's a comedy, about the sequence of events which follow, as they work to get their kid back out of danger with the state.

lol Hilarious. If anyone finds a downloadable copy, please pm me!! Someone, somewhere, should have digitized this already.
Thanks!

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
Boondock Saints was like that for me.

Same with the Usual Suspects. And Clerks.
Ah shit... I forgot about The Usual Suspects. lol
Wish I could see it again for the first time!!

Another one I'd like to see the first time is Lucky Number Slevin.

Hey thanks :)
My father cultivated a B-movie addiction in me as a kid, and I've always loved obscure movies.

One of my favorites is "Improper Channels" with Marietta Hartley and Alan Arkin.
It never made it to dvd, which doesn't surprise me due to the content. it's about a couple who has their child wrongly abducted by CPS. It's a comedy, about the sequence of events which follow, as they work to get their kid back out of danger with the state.

lol Hilarious. If anyone finds a downloadable copy, please pm me!! Someone, somewhere, should have digitized this already.
Thanks!
Alan Arkin is a fantastic actor.

I miss my vhs Spaghetti Western library. lol.

shithawk420

Veteran
I may be aging myself...how about "altered states"

Apparently my uncle went to see that movie in theaters high as fuck and was laughing hysterically when he turned into that ape man.everybody was giving him dirty looks.good movie though a little fact: at the end of the AHA music video take on me was a reference to the end of Altered States.

Bobby Boucher

I caught so much flak for so many years for not having any legitimate reasons for not liking kevin spacey other than "he f'n creeps me out". I've been kicked out of a party before because the host was such a big Spacey fan that he told me I had to go. We never got along much past that.

People are generally creeped out by my intuition at the end of the day. I bet ol' buddy was when the news broke.

Peter Griffin on the ending of "The Usual Suspects".. "*GASP*... He was gay the whole time!!" lol

back on topic tho.. Cocktails, Real Genius, Chaplin, Raising Arizona. No idea how I missed these gems for as long as I did.

GOT_BUD?

Weed is a gateway to gardening
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I caught so much flak for so many years for not having any legitimate reasons for not liking kevin spacey other than "he f'n creeps me out". I've been kicked out of a party before because the host was such a big Spacey fan that he told me I had to go. We never got along much past that.

People are generally creeped out by my intuition at the end of the day. I bet ol' buddy was when the news broke.

Peter Griffin on the ending of "The Usual Suspects".. "*GASP*... He was gay the whole time!!" lol

back on topic tho.. Cocktails, Real Genius, Chaplin, Raising Arizona. No idea how I missed these gems for as long as I did.
Raising Arizona - another good one I missed until a number of years later.

Douglas.Curtis

Pi

The smile on his face in the end is priceless and makes me want to cry.

Requiem for a Dream (same director)

A rather messed up tale of heroin and Rx addictions.

Mick

Veteran
Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets.
One of the best science fiction movies I've seen.
'''''' Besson independently crowd-sourced and personally funded Valerian. With a production budget of around $180 million, it is both the most expensive European and independent film ever made.[11]'''''

Douglas.Curtis

Apparently my uncle went to see that movie in theaters high as fuck and was laughing hysterically when he turned into that ape man.everybody was giving him dirty looks.good movie though a little fact: at the end of the AHA music video take on me was a reference to the end of Altered States.
LOL, reminds me of a story my parents tell, and another movie if you haven't seen it.

Almost 50 years ago in Chicago, it was common for my parents to go to an afternoon movie. The day they went to see Stanley Kubrick's "Dr. Strangelove, or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb," it was a particularly rainy afternoon.

The neighborhood was predominately non-english speaking and a great many of them ducked into the matinee to escape the rain. It was very cheap and a warm way to pass an hour or so until the rain quit.

Being non-english speaking and having no sub-titles, the movie was very scary for most of them. My father, gotta love him, was laughing so hard he fell in the aisle and was rolling on the floor. My mother was so embarrassed she tried to cover him with her coat. lol

The non-english speaking people were horrified he was laughing at a movie about doomsday. lol Makes me wonder if any of them ever saw the movie again with sub-titles or after learning English. lol Freaking hilarious movie. :tiphat: