What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

SOG'n in coco pot size?

J

JackKerouac

SWIM typically uses a 5-6" square pot in a sea of green setup in BOG's organic soil if thrown into flower using 4-6" cuttings.

Now, in coco the roots are way more tolerant of being a tad rootbound. What container sizes would you suggest? How much can this be pushed, especially if creating hydro roots with drippers?

Last edited:
G

Depends on how many pants ya wanna cram on a table. Any size will work with drippers, you just have to tweak the feed schedule. The smaller the container the more your prob going to have to water.

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
yes the plants in coco grow bigger in smaller pots. so you don't need to cram the pots in, each plant will grow fast and use the space you leave them real well.

but to answer your question, i would say from 4.5 to 6.5 lt. pots will serve you well. i would add no more then 24 plants per sq. meter though, as even very shortly vegged plants will generally stretch and expand a lot, if you crowd them too much the buds lower down are worthless. same goes for vegging too long in a sog.

HYDROJUNKIE

I have tried 36 plants/4x4 and the canopy was way to dense for me,....only effective for growing main tops only....
I grow mine with about 6 or so side branches and do 25 per 4x4 and 1.75 gallon sqaure pots.

I have grown in all size pots and the yield was best with this size....and only needs feeding once a day or every other day if your lazy like me:D

MTF-Sandman

OG Refugee
Veteran
HYDROJUNKIE said:
I have tried 36 plants/4x4 and the canopy was way to dense for me,....only effective for growing main tops only....

Isn't that the idea of a SOG...to grow single colas? Sounds like you're running small bushes IMO...

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
i like to give my lamps 1.5 meters by 1 meter. in that space i put 30 plants, give them a few days veg and i end up with a table full of densely packed buds. but this is by no means the only way. it does make it easier to yield a gram per watt if you use a 600 lamp for 1.5 by 1 instead of 1 by 1 meters. but you can also only add 20 plants to that space and top them early on and veg them a bit longer and you will also get a table full of buds.

there are many ways to do it as we all know. the secret is in getting the way you chose dialed in well.

HYDROJUNKIE

yeah MTF I guess you could say I am running small bushes,.(I like bush!)...but what I get off of the side branches is just about equivilent to running an extra 11 plants.
everyone has their own idea of sog,....ive seen some 4x4's with up to 50 some odd plants in 5 inch pots,....I just dont feel its neccesary to pack that many in to get a nice yield,....unless your shooting for over 24 oz per light,...thats where having over 36 plants will let you achieve that.

J

JackKerouac

SWIM also thought about doing coco beds to pack in the density, but the ladies don't like roots touching, thus the OP.

Thanks for the advice guys!

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
as a matter of fact a bed of coco works just as well as a bed of earth would. if not better, the roots do not mind touching, lol. same in coco slabs you have a few plants in together all sharing the same slab. with the roots growing into eachother and everything.:D

budbeast

whould it work if i used a 50l bag of coco just cut say 8-12 holes for plants per 50l with 2 bags to the 600hps
i was thinking of seating these on a table made from wire mesh and pepering the bottom for drainage
it whould save me a lot of time and money on pots as im thinking about 16 6.5l pots per 600watter

and if i can get a couple of grows a bag all the better

is this a viable option? can you envisage any problems

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
yeah those 50 lt. bags of coco would work just fie. don't forget the drain holes and you have a 50 lt. coco slab lol. plenty of medium for biggish plants. i think the plants will love the extra horizontal space for their roots. i wouldn't put more then 8 plants into a bag, maybe only 6. it no use to crowd the plants too much in coco, specially not if you plan on any kind of decent veg time. you need to cover approximately 1 and a half sq. meters with growing plants under the 600 watts. this way you yield potential will be superb. maybe you will need to train the plants early on to grow away from each other and fill up the space, a kind of scrog would be interesting yield wise for sure.

budbeast

sounds good
my table is 2200x1100 with 2x 600watt in cool tubes on top
id like to keep the plants under 30" so i think i'll go with 6 50l bags and 48 plants i was hopeing to just transplant into 12-12 so i can alternate harvests every 3 weeks growin t44s do you not advise this

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
growing top 44 it sounds like a good idea to have 8 plants per bag of coco. the top 44 i had was a slow vegging plant, but very very tasty, not the biggest yields, but i didn't get another chance with it so dialed in it might yield much better. i hope you are planning to start a thread man, that will be cool to see in action.

peace

Latest posts

Latest posts