What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Between Sun and Moon HPS/LED comparison grow.

LEDGirl

Veteran
Any updates Hazy? It's been about 9 days since the last photos went up. If you could, I would appreciate at least once weekly updates, with you picking the day of the week you find most convenient. A lot of members choose the weekend ;)

Thanks, and look forward to some pictures! :)

hazy

Veteran
Hi folks.
Sorry no recent updates. I had a problem with my account. Thanks to Cammie, hukkatokes, Gypsy, JJ and whoever else helped in resolving the problem.
I've got some pics from a while ago, and will take new ones later. Right now, I'm recovering from being sick, so I'm logging off as soon as I finish this post. I'll post pics tomorrow or maybe tonight, if I feel up to it.

MrBomDiggitty

Veteran
hate to be the guy pointing out trivial scientific errors... but it seems the LED side benefits from the overglow of the HPS much more than the HPS side benefits from the LED glow.

may not seem like much, but I'd be willing to bet if the glow from the HPS was somehow contained you would see a significant difference in the LED side rate of growth.

...and the close proximity of the LED grow to the HPS grow gives a benefit of added heat to the LED grow.

none the less the results should be interesting

yeah i sort of like that hps puts off heat. thats what worries me about the LED lights. It would almost cost just as much to keep the room warmer. i dont want the rest of my house to be in the 80's so i would have to put a space heater or something in there.

but the led's still look interesting.. still deciding haha

hazy

Veteran
Finally

Finally

Wasn't able to post since the 22nd. Very frustrating. Head's pounding right now as I recover from the food poisoning I got. I took pics back on the 23rd of Feb.
I tried to change the email on my user account and pasted in the wrong thing and I was screwed. Thanks again to the good folks who helped fix it. What's weird is that I tried to open other new accounts and never got the verification emails. Used new emails for them too.
I'm pretty sure my albums are full and I will only be able to post a couple pics and will have to open a new account anyway just to post pics.

OK. These pics are from the 23rd. 8 days into 12/12. They are 17 days in right now. I'll get new pics as soon as I can. Hopefully tomorrow.

Well i just went and uploaded my last two pics that hazy has room for. I'll be trying to open a new account, but like i said, I've tried that 5 times in the last week to no avail. Not sure what handle I'll use, already opened hazy2 hazy2.0 h4zy hazyskies and Audubon. All can be logged onto but can't post. So I'll try a new one in a minute and hope that they'll send that email with that link to click on to validate the new account. I see other folks start new accounts every day. If I can it suggests to me that my ip was held/logged at least for the time that my account was messed up and that may be why i could not get new accounts working. weird.

Since I could only put up 2 pics, I put up the Sour Diesel and Sugar Shack side by sides from the top.​

Sour Diesel hps on left led on right. 8 days 12/12

Sugar Shack hps on left led on right 8 days 12/12

hazy

Veteran
Not sure what glow you're talking about MBD, maybe the 1/8 inch gap at the back? I'll run a piece of tape back there if that'd make you happy. At the top and at the bottom has to be open for air flow from the hps to the exhaust. Just the way the closet's set up. I really doubt there's any benefit from light squeezing through the back crack. And, hey the heat. Yeah the led side benefits from that. By design. That's why the led is on the right side where the exhaust to the veg are above and then to the filter and out. The intake is on the left side of the hps side. Even if I decide to stop using the 400 after this, I still have another light that warms the room.

I really don't think you would need to add a heater to the grow if you had no other light going. Maybe just an incandescent or some kind of heat lamp. Or maybe a heating mat. dunno. Temps would be good in my closet without the hps. Even without a nearby light in the next room. Keeping temps up would not be a problem here.:tumbleweed:

ps
i opened another account so maybe i can post pics. look for hazydays. IF, that is, i get that email with the activation link. Still waiting.​

Last edited:

MrBomDiggitty

Veteran
Any bleeding over of the light from the HPS will be more significant than any bleeding over from the LED.

I'm not so sure its worth trying to completely eliminate the bleeding over, just saying the scientific value of your findings are somewhat skewed in favor of the LED to perform better than it would if it was used by itself with no adjacent grows.

MediScrogs

Gosh, I don't think it's gonna make a huge difference. If you wanna subtract 1.09% from the final yield for your own mind, go ahead and knock yourself out.

hazydays

OK MrBombDiggity

I taped up that 1/8th inch space in the back. In case you didn't notice there bub, there's a corian divider between the sun and moon. There's no bleeding over of light through the bottom space because the canopy blocks that light. And the top is a foot above the lights.

Any bleeding over of the light from the HPS will be more significant than any bleeding over from the LED.
edit: I would agree with that if there was significant overlapping like with no divider. But they're pretty well separate.

hazydays

Ok, here's the pics of the Chem4 from the 23rd at 8 days 12/12.

First up is the HPS, then the LED, then the side by side. I don't know if I'll be able to pull them out for nice side by side pics any more, but maybe.

Chem4-HPS-

Chem4-LED-

Chem4 HPS/LED

hazydays

This GAK went in late, but it's a 45 day girl. It's on the LED side. Not really part of the comparison, since there's no HPS counterpart.

hazydays

This is the Sugar Shack at 8 days 12/12. HPS first, LED second, then the side by sides.

Sugar Shack-HPS-

Sugar Shack-LED-

HPS on left, LED on right

hazydays

no worries pseudo. I'll get up some pics of them in the closet growing side by side. Tonight when the lights come on or right before. That may be the only way for future pics. It's a huge hassle taking them all out for each strain side by side pics.
I think the side by sides from the top show lighter top leaves on the led side. May mean a little extra something nutewise needs to be used under the LEDs. Not sure though. Maybe iron or sulfur. don't know.

Also noticed my pics are crappy. Used PS and 'saved for the web'. I'll make them better quality next time.

-To the wind-
Hey what's up with the post reply box formatting the text but not showing formatting tags. Makes it a big pain to format my posts.

MediScrogs

say hazy, i'm sure many of us will be curious to learn, as you go along, as to any differences you're finding with the watering/feeding of the led plants. have you been finding that the led side uses less water or nutrients so far? i know it's still early in the experiment and all, but how do the led plants seem to be feeding/drinking? Do you have to adjust the nute strength for the led side? Other differences you have noticed so far?

hazy

Veteran
hey MS.
LED side uses less water. I put a 16 oz bottle of nutes solution in both Sour Diesels every night. Then add maybe 1/2 a bottle more to the hps side.

I'll have some observations about growth rates and bud development when I put up the next pics. I accidentally gave the chem4 on the HPS side veg nutes a couple nights ago and it shot up two inches practically overnight. I regret that this will make the Chem4 on the HPS side have a size advantage, at least a height advantage. I must point out though that the C4 on the HPS side was already 2" taller than the one on the LED side.
I'd need to run a group of C4 cuts on each side to get a good average though, maybe another run I can.

J R

Hazy - NICE thread...I love it. I personnely grow with 600watts of LED's and 1200Watts of HPS in coco.....works great.

This comparison grow is better and will tell a whole lot. Thanks for doing it.

Latest posts

Latest posts