What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

BHO Hard Candy Recipe

Herborizer

Veteran
My experience with bubble yielded a candy that was very rough in texture. What size screen did you use to make your candy? That may be the key factor here. It's likely that my bubble had a lot more than just glandular material in it, which did not melt in the syrup.

I still maintain that using BHO is better, but I am open to the idea that my bubble hash may not have been ideal for this purpose because of how it was made.

I like your style. BHO for sure works awesome. Though, if I can help you get the same results, I bet you would love saving some cash and the extra work/time. :) :dance013:

I make my Kief with the dry ice method. I use both the "red" bag (I believe it's 180) and my tumbler which uses a 220 screen.

I make sure to put in the Kief when the stove is off. I also make sure to sprinkle it so that there is no clumps. Once the heat is applied, I do mix it quite often to ensure it all melts into the sugar. These days I add no food color and no flavoring. El-natural is some of the most tasty candies. They have a very beautiful color as well. They kind of come out golden looking.

Experiment some. Its worth a few tries to dial in the method. Because in the end, if you can eliminate BHO it will save you tons of time and a little money.

Herborizer

Veteran
To each their own :)

The vast majority of my patients and the numerous clinics and caregivers out west who I've educated, have never had better success by cutting corners during processing, it's widely known that lipids, alcohol and glycerin enhance cellular permeability... that's why many more people, and especially more professionals use them during processing, than those who don't.

Again, thank you for your contributions to the Canna community. You have been wonderful.

I can tell you that I sat there and talked to some of the national brands of candy makers (just because I like the candies best, and I was excited to pick their brains) at a show a little while back, they too stopped using solvents for hard candy. Not sure what else to say here.

With Qwet extractions, I would use 2 grams of solvent extracted oil per cup of sugar. With raw Kief, I am using 2 grams of Kief per cup of sugar. Same intensity and effect. They actually taste and look better with raw Kief. What more can I say? How is this short cutting? I just can't understand why I would add extra cost and steps to making candy that add no benefit that I can observe.

Personally, here is my theory. This is just a theory... I think that the major issue with people using RAW kief is decarbalixation (sorry on spelling). I think that more and more needs to be understood about decarbalixation. I think it's the key to edibles. Yes, I know you are aware of it's importance BadKittySmiles, I have read and enjoyed many of your threads.

I think that most people don't realize the importance of decarbalixation, because when they make Canna Butter they are decarbalixating the Cannaboids by heating it in butter for hours and hours (and they don't know it). Same for Qwet, ISO, Napta extractions. I believe the solvent reacts to the cannanaboids which speeds up the natural decarbalixation. Also, usually heat is applied to cook off the solvent. Same for BHO (except for the heat part).

All in all, I think it boils down to the decarbalixation. This is why I suggest heating the Kief for at least an hour at 235F. I use an hour at 235F with starting material that is mostly already cured (at least a month or so after drying, 2-3 months better). If I was going to work with younger/not-cured material, I would heat it in the oven for maybe 1.5 hours or so.

A whole bunch of food items are prepared with butane. BHO is not bad for you if done correctly.Take a look at some of the threads in the hash section.

i use bho in all cooking as it is the only way to get precise doses. and yes, butane is used in food processing. since i make the bho i use, i know it is clean. i hate the taste of petroleum products. i am a recovering alcoholic so do not use alcohol tinctures and glycerine upsets my stomach. kief and bubble do not provide the ability to mix to homogeneity....so i use bho...refined.

just made my first batch of these yesterday. Made only a half batch because it was my first attempt. Turned out pretty darn good. I used a packet of kool-aid dissolved in a bit of water as opposed to flavoring. The flavor was good, but definitely need to add a second packet next time, as there is a VERY strong cannabis flavor, i personally dont mind the taste of cannabis, but this is a bit overwhelming for me. I didnt have candy molds either so i just poured it onto a piece of parchment paper and broke it up into little pieces. About 3 grams of the candy gave me a very nice, uplifting high, with the first feelings before the time the candy was fully dissolved (tucked it up between my gum and lip). Felt the full effects within the hour, and then i ate another 3 grams, and unlike any other edible ive had, i wanted to get up and dance around and be active, not lay motionless on the couch. Going to be making another batch today, with more flavoring definitely. Ill let you guys know how it goes! Thanks a lot flatcurve for the recipe!!

just made my first batch of these yesterday. Made only a half batch because it was my first attempt. Turned out pretty darn good. I used a packet of kool-aid dissolved in a bit of water as opposed to flavoring. The flavor was good, but definitely need to add a second packet next time, as there is a VERY strong cannabis flavor, i personally dont mind the taste of cannabis, but this is a bit overwhelming for me. I didnt have candy molds either so i just poured it onto a piece of parchment paper and broke it up into little pieces. About 3 grams of the candy gave me a very nice, uplifting high, with the first feelings before the time the candy was fully dissolved (tucked it up between my gum and lip). Felt the full effects within the hour, and then i ate another 3 grams, and unlike any other edible ive had, i wanted to get up and dance around and be active, not lay motionless on the couch. Going to be making another batch today, with more flavoring definitely. Ill let you guys know how it goes! Thanks a lot flatcurve for the recipe!!

throw the cool aid out the window. best cover for cannabis besides chocolate is cinnamon. cool aid is unhealthy.

i happen to have a hobby lobby next door, ill run over there and try and grab some cinnamon flavoring oil. how much do you add? im doing half batches with 2 grams of bho to one cup sugar

Again, for those who are interested in making edibles that use the potency available as efficiently, and as wisely as possible, just google my user name.. oil matters!

Cannabis glandular material is notoriously difficult for the body to absorb, even when active, even when it is in the form of a warm tacky concentrate. Even in small enough form, the chemicals bounce off our cellular walls when they are not held in the form of a bioavailable solution... fat, helps our body absorb cannabis glandular material, and certain fats help more than others.
This is why even eating a fatty meal a few hours beforehand can slightly aid absorption, it lubes up cell walls and prepares them for sliding cannabinoids through. But by eating glandular material and sugar alone, you are missing out on multiple stronger doses, to achieve the desired effect for one single dose.

We use the same techniques used by the pharmaceutical industry to promote the absorption of certain resistant chemicals, it's sometimes called liposomal encapsulation (or LET), it is when at a micro level a chemical or chemical-containing solute has not only been broken down into small enough particles to be capable of passing through cellular walls, but it is when a solution is formed in such a way that the solvent (ie oil; readily absorbed by the body) forms a persistent coat around the miniscule particles of solute.

It is said that the rate of delivery provided by liposomally treated chemicals, taken orally, is almost comparable to intravenous delivery.

Rather than the lesser alternative of relying on the cell walls being oily, or oily enough, when the particles themselves are coated and individually 'lubed up', they pass through as easily, as though they were made of oil themselves.

We use the 'edible solvents' we do, not just because they break down or extract our material, which is certainly important, but because they facilitate the absorption of that material.

Example1.jpg

The oil source you choose, even dictates where in your body the potency is absorbed... choose the wrong oil, or skip out all together, and you miss out on much of the conversion from D9THC, to the more powerful 11-OH-THC, that takes place in the liver.

Long-chain triglyceride chaining oils are primarily absorbed lymphatically, and bypass the liver. This can be good for those with certain liver/metabolism ailments, or patients who can not eat in the morning before medicating (as a too-hungry liver can over metabolize cannabinoids.. a long-chain canna capsule before breakfast will peak hunger, and a medium-chain canna capsule after breakfast will provide much more relief, from much less material).
Medium-chain triglyceride containing oils however are absorbed much more readily, and passively without the aid of bile-salts, for delivery through the portal vein and liver where the potentiating conversion takes place! Nine out of ten patients, and most recreational users, are looking for the effects provided by cannabis when its potency is carried by and delivered in a MCT oil.

Again, to each their own, and as I've said before how you feel about your meds is often very important. :) Placebo effect aside though, actually absorbing a greater ratio of your meds helps most of all! I've worked with and helped the most stubborn and elderly patients who were for years, stuck fast on the old and outdated methods used since the 60's and earlier, they've since opened their eyes, and have found that by putting in the time and effort to make their edibles as well as possible (or by instructing their caregivers to do so), that they now have several times the meds from, the same amount of material they are allotted or can afford each month.

So just google 'BadKittySmiles' for a more comprehensive recipe list and series of tutorials, which are both dispensary and Granny Storm Crow approved, and have helped hundreds of thousands of patients over the last decade or so absorb the most potency from both their concentrates and flowers. :)

Ruosk

Great recipe, going to do a THC-free test batch as soon as possible. Thanks! By the way, can anyone suggest a place where to buy heat resistant lollipop molds?

U

Ultra Current

Great recipe, going to do a THC-free test batch as soon as possible. Thanks! By the way, can anyone suggest a place where to buy heat resistant lollipop molds?

An art store like Michaels.

Herborizer

Veteran
Cool. I will stick with my Kief hard candy that kicks in within 15-20 mins. 2g of Kief per cup of sugar. Knock your socks off.

Jesse54

I tried this yesterday and my Coconut Cannaoil separated from the hard Candy when it cooled. I after I reached Hardcrack temp I reduced the heat and mixed in the Cannaoil and mixed it but after 2 min of stiring I poured it on a cookie sheet. Should I have cooked them together longer? I also think there may be an issue mixing Coconut Cannaoil with hard candy. Help Guys!!!!!!!!!

Miraculous Meds

I tried this yesterday and my Coconut Cannaoil separated from the hard Candy when it cooled. I after I reached Hardcrack temp I reduced the heat and mixed in the Cannaoil and mixed it but after 2 min of stiring I poured it on a cookie sheet. Should I have cooked them together longer? I also think there may be an issue mixing Coconut Cannaoil with hard candy. Help Guys!!!!!!!!!

Ive never used coconut oil when using bho in candies. Sometimes the bho doesn't look like it blends perfectly by itself, so id imagine that adding oil, would make it harder to blend, like u experienced. I read this thread and badkittys comments, but for me, I put the bho in just after the candy mix has been stirred. So it gets the chance to heat. I haven't had the candies tested, but I have had the bho tested, and I measure carefully, so I know pretty well the dosage I use. My standard is about 60mg bho per candy. The majority who take this report that its too strong. For me its like not having to smoke but once or twice a day, but still feeling like I smoked all day. Im going to go with 1/2 this strength, about 30mg as my new standard, so more people can use them without getting too stoned. U can always take more than 1. lol...

Anyway I wanted to respond to ur post so that u know my experience with the effectiveness without first infusing bho into a oil. My take on it has been that the slow cook to 300f works as a perfect decarb time, and the sugar from the candy is enough of a carrier or fat for the thc to get absorbed very quickly. Maybe it has something to do with body chemistry or somebody just ate a fatty meal that helps absorption more, but im positive the way I do it works very well from reports from numerous people.

this might help u too. My oil is around 60 to 70% strain dependent. So with the standard loranne hard candy recipe at full batch is about just over 2 rectangle mold trays. Roughly 130 pieces. So I measure 13g bho, thus each piece gets .1g of bho. At about 60 to 70%, ends up being 60 to 70 mg per candy. Like I said earlier though, unless ur a seasoned vet, this is usually too strong, so im gonna start using 6.5g per batch. Oh and if the batch is too big, too many candies, or requires too much bho for u, then I make half batches all the time too. just cut the recipe in half, but use a very small pot to cook with or the surface area of the candy will be spread thin and make it easy to overheat and burn ur sugar. Low and slow is my motto during candy making. good luck.

Bastian

BHO does not blend/dissolve

BHO does not blend/dissolve

Hello friend,

I am trying to follow your recipe to the letter but have encountered a few problems.

You say to use pure BHO, but I find that the BHO does not incorporate into the syrup at all, it floats to the top, and then remains in uneven globules throughout the candy when mixed thoroughly, which increases your chance of the whole thing reverting to sugar...

What am I doing wrong? I believe I will encounter the same issue if I try gummies...

Any advice before I ruin some more BHO?

Thanks in advance,
Bastian

Bastian

Hello friend,

I am trying to follow this recipe to the letter but have encountered a few problems.

It says to use pure BHO, but I find that the BHO does not incorporate into the syrup at all, it floats to the top, and then remains in uneven globules throughout the candy when mixed thoroughly, which increases the chance of the whole thing reverting to sugar...

What am I doing wrong? I believe I will encounter the same issue if I try gummies (BHO not blending)...

Any advice before I ruin some more BHO?

Thanks in advance,
Bastian

RollandAdoobie

Yo yo yo

Yo yo yo

I've been making lollypots for years ..use bho that has been tested not blown by some backyard UN sterile stank finger lookin ass lame.I do half the resipe but use the same amount of bho . all my customers love it . I've used less but got complaints . I know work for a cannibis candy factory everything is tested and labled. We use only lab tested bho we send out to the lab even if it's labled as lab tested . also strains effect the flavor keep in mind ..4 grams for 1 cup sugar 1/4 water 1/3 corn syrup a dash of honey 2tps flavor a few drops of color just like his just half ingredients. I love the wisk idea with bho on it .. I add bho at 275 degree s so it activates the THC and traps it as it hardens in freezer . it's for ppl who wana be high not a week kinda high ..put warning on package on how potant .love all of you stoners . Humboldt County is my home and the roots run deep ..rad.