What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

ASH from forest fires

TahoeTops

I pray for the people dealing with fire!

What I'm curious about is the ash that is landing on my outdoor plants. Is it bad for the plant? If I have the option of bringing them indoors, to get away from the ash, should I do it? If I don't have that option, should I try and cover them for protection? What will the ash do to the soil? What do I need to do to counter it?

AgentPothead

Just this guy, ya know?
I think wood ash is about 6.5 PH? It is used to raise soil PH when low. Aesthetically, I'd much prefer to smoke bud not covered in ash. Would it make a difference? I honestly don't know, but I assume it would make it taste ashy. I'm assuming you can just give them a gentle spray with water to clean them off, nothing strong enough to knock trichomes off.

hubcap

StackinCalyxs
Veteran
as long as it doesn't stick to your final product, I think, you'd be fine.
I wouldn't 'wash' off the ash. Wet ash can get messy and stick to your final product.
a leaf blower isn't a bad idea. just make sure you aren't inadvertently causing more fires from the hot ash. ;)

imma second the notion that as long as you get the ash safely off the buds, youll be fine. who knows? maybe the fires are causing more "natural" co2 into the air. ;)
(trying to be as positive as possible about a horrible fire situation)

-----stay safe------ first and foremost.

-cap

Noonin NorCal

Veteran
I was gonna spray neem oil one last time, was wondering about the ash on the plant. Would the oil stick to that? Or if ash is still falling would the neem help it stick lol.

I have a blower, i might try that out., I think getting above the canopy with it blow downwards so I'm not blowing the ash more into the buds

Amynamous

My outdoor plants get pelted with heavy rains and strong winds and the trichomes survive just fine.
Just sayin.

Bud Green

I dig dirt
Veteran
Ash from the fires is nothing but pure potassium. The K from N-P-K..

I think you could rinse your plants off or just leave it..
I don't think it will hurt a thing..

it does have a high pH, but where I live, I mix it with my rainwater to raise the pH from 5.5 to 7...

St. Phatty

Problem is a few hundred homes burned down here in southern Oregon and the ash contains things that are nasty.

true.

i guess if you're near a surfboard factory, wouldn't want that ash on my bud.

most of the ash ... falls off when you shake the plant.

for people who smoke joints, if they're concerned about unhealthy crap maybe being on the buds, could always use a waterpipe.

thinking the water helps to filter more crap out.

in 2013 & 2018, we had entire summers of smoke and ash.

also Southern Oregon has rain forecast for September 14.

so far I feel like it's a minor speedbump for most growers.

obviously not a minor speed-bump for indoor growers in Talent & Phoenix.

hubcap

StackinCalyxs
Veteran
Problem is a few hundred homes burned down here in southern Oregon and the ash contains things that are nasty.

that's why I was recommending to blow it off. (giggity)

THC glands aren't water soluble so washing them isn't a bad idea, too, but, Id worry about wetting ash. Sometimes that makes more of a mess. maybe wait til harvest then 'wash' the buds?

Just a thought to ponder.

-cap

Noonin NorCal

Veteran
I had a good amount of dew this morning on my plants, i was wondering if that would help with getting the ash off? Should i go shake the dew off? and pray that the ash comes off with it

Im skeptical about taking a hose to the plants, my buds are starting to stack pretty good now finally. Tried a leaf blower yesterday but ash was already stuck to some parts?

Sonoma County on fire again. F__K.

I'm working 3 miles away from another huge fire, people evacuating, everyone I know doing outdoor grows are like great...we'll call it "Campfire OG".

I don't even know if I'll bother growing next year. Seems like the world catches on fire every year around here now.

Still wondering what the best options are for weed polluted with ash and smoke.

Friends say bubble hash it, but I don't know if that solves the problem at all. Blast it with LPG?

art.spliff

ICMag Donor
picture.php