What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Root aphid - help

superhaze420

hi,

Does anyone know of an effective treatment to eliminate the aphid from its roots? They're growing plants, I need something effective to save them. Thank you

moses wellfleet

Veteran
hi,

Does anyone know of an effective treatment to eliminate the aphid from its roots? They're growing plants, I need something effective to save them. Thank you

What makes you think your problem is caused by root aphids? Diagnosis is usually difficult, root aphids are often blamed for phantom deficiencies.

If you post pics or describe symptoms in detail as well as details of your grow set up, will make things easier.

WHIPEDMEAT

Modortalan
Supermod
Veteran
sticky traps and pyrethrum extract can kill adults, but not the suckers on the root,

Bacillus thuringiensis israelensis may be effective also

superhaze420

The plant was decaying, I pulled out the root ball and saw the aphids in a bunch, stuck to the root. I have thrown the plant away, so I am sorry, but there are no photos available :(

I'm very worried about the rest of the plants, some of them seem to be a little decayed too.

BlackBart

Veteran
PFR -97 20%WDG Microbial Insecticide Organic

Will kill Broad Mites Russite Mites and Root Aphids

It comes in a powder and is a bitch to mix but is extremely affective

moses wellfleet

Veteran

You may want to try this one I have never used it myself but I have heard good things. It is a fungus, Isaria fumosorosea, that infects and kills root aphids.

superhaze420

You may want to try this one I have never used it myself but I have heard good things. It is a fungus, Isaria fumosorosea, that infects and kills root aphids.

Thanks guys,

I can't find this product to buy.

Should I search for the active principle: Isaria fumosorosea?

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
RA's have been a pain for a lot of growers for years. I'm definitely interested in anything new, and the fungus looks great! :) $35/lb though... lol

Any suggestions on mixing/application procedures BlackBart?

green-genes77

Veteran
I've thrown just about everything possible at rice root aphids in a tier two commercial grow and most of it can be equated to flushing money down the toilet, (your results may vary). I finally knocked them out with consistent soil treatments in the veg stage consisting of Pyganic 5.0 at 15ml/gallon and a polymer product called Avana at 30ml/gallon. Pyganic alone did not have enough staying power but put a hurting on them for sure, yet only after drenching the soil and allowing the pots to sit in the solution and soak it up for an hour.

Grandevo and Venerate were moderately effective with repeated treatments as were PFR97 and a number of other fungal products, but even by itself the Pyganic did a better job. Avana is pretty hard to find but a buddy of mine swears by a combo of Pyganic 5.0 and OroBoost, which is more widely available.

Thankfully, the world of conventional ag/hort has done some limited field testing on these little assholes:

https://ucanr.edu/blogs/blogcore/postdetail.cfm?postnum=18740

This article cites AzaGuard/Neem as an effective treatment component but I stopped using most azadirachtin products some years ago so I can't speak to this combo directly re: rice root aphids.

Beef up your soil bennies after treatment too. Rove Beetles and Stratiolaelaps don't necessarily prefer munching on root aphids but they will eat them if they're the only food source and will eat fungus gnat larvae and thrip larvae in the meantime.

DenverJim

imidacloprid is the best product for insects... I spray thewhole area around my areain April I haven't scene an aphid in years. I first got the stuff for broad mites. it eliminates them fast. I was using dirt from last year and some kind a larve was killing seedlings' I now treat soil before using it. this stuff is a nicotine derivative. Nicotine will kill you and other animals. This stuff will not. it works at the nanogram .000,000,001 and pictogram.
.000,000,000,001 level.
I use 60ml/gal h2o and just spray everything lightly. This is the most widely used pesticide in the world.

moses wellfleet

Veteran
Isaria fumosorsea is available from Koppert as No Fly WP (wettable powder) in the US. Challenger, a liquid for the European market. It is very expensive though.

Personally I can recommend MYCOTAL from Koppert. It is lecanicillium muscarium. Unfortunately not available to the US market. It won’t eradicate the RA completely in my experiences but if you maintain regular dosage it keeps aphid levels low enough to prevent much damage to the roots. Again it is expensive when you add up continuous use. But it is not as expensive as shutting down from infestation!!

Grapefruitroop

Imidacloprid?!?!:yoinks:
Its a systemic insecticide........for ornamentals...not for food let alone smoke....be careful!

The bullshit is that in Spain all the major chemical and toxic insecticides are available at a inflated price in any hardwarestore for the ineducated masses to use as they want , but anything that is beneficial, natural, alive that could rebuild a balance in your garden then you need a Licence that u get from the state.......hahahahaha...are this guys kidding???

Latest posts

Latest posts