What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

In search of Florida Crippy

Crippy is in seed form...called Florida OG..aka Crippy.. by Grow Your Own by DNA..DJXX
here is a pic and description..DJXX
Description below...
Florida OG, also called by some Ocean Grown or Crippy with great bag appeal and an amazng odor. An all around great marijuana variety with desirable qualities: growth, structure, vigor, taste, smell, looks and strength. Double Florida OG cannabis seeds take 9 weeks to flower with average yields which makes this a great strain for your head stash. Large production yields can be challenging with the Florida OG but not impossible.

Genetics: Coveted Cutting
Type: 70% Indica / 30% Sativa
Flower time: 9 weeks
Yield: 400-500 m2
View Image

Yes, I believe I mentioned that 3 pages ago in the original post.

Specifically I've seen DNA Genetics Florida OG which is claimed to be a fem Crippy.

SurfdOut

Veteran
If a whole bunch of different guys were growing one specific kryptonite strain it would still be around. I would have had a cut. Have you asked your dad what he was selling? And of course 808genetics has a cut he got from NY that he thinks is the crippy.

morgandecaptain

So many stories to keep track of but that's basically what I've heard. I got a pre 86 bubba from a friend and he told me he would be getting a real crippy in the near future.

DJXX

Veteran
I'm from Florida and remember that real deal Florida Crippy from the '90s, I was a jitterbug back then, new to smoking but everyone had it in my area...specifically my dad sold pounds upon pounds of it, which is how I started smoking to begin with by grabbing handfuls of it out of his personal stash when no one was looking.

So I know there is much controversy over what the Crippy is or if it actually is a strain at all given that in modern times Crippy is a generic term for any kind bud in FL. But I can attest that it was definitely a strain, it was always consistent, the same bud every time you bought a bag back then no matter who was selling it, too consistent in taste & appearance to be myth or legend.

So I want to know if there are any legit Crippy seeds out there...I know it's considered a clone-only strain, and I'm specifically hunting for the Tampa Cut of Crippy, but I've heard various claims of S1 or Bx1 seeds available on the market. Specifically I've seen DNA Genetics Florida OG which is claimed to be a fem Crippy. Also I've heard that 808 Genetics has S1 & Bx1 seeds of what they call Crippy OG. I heard of a company called Sunshine State Seeds that may have a Crippy clone in their repertoire. My question is are any of these legit? Are there better contenders out there? Is it possible to purchase a legit Crippy cut? And are there any great Crippy crosses on the market?

I really want this nostalgic strain from my adolescent years, prolly more than any other strain out there, it is very near & dear to my early smoking career, so any help you can provide would be much appreciated...thanks IC-ers.
duhhhhh...i know someone claiming to have a legit cut of it...DJXX

If a whole bunch of different guys were growing one specific kryptonite strain it would still be around. I would have had a cut. Have you asked your dad what he was selling? And of course 808genetics has a cut he got from NY that he thinks is the crippy.

Kryptonite is a completely different strain altogether, and people do still have Crippie cuts, but given the draconian legal status of pot in Florida they aren't exactly advertising that fact...also I don't believe a lot of the grow ops were using the original cut, just my theory but I think a lot of people were growing Crippie from bagseed, this is all conjecture, but myself and others noticed a slow & steady diminishing in the quality of the Crippie as the '90's rolled on, likely due to ops being grown from bagseed after bagseed until the genetics just got watered down. Not to mention this was a notoriously difficult strain to grow that was not a high yielder, so market demands likely destroyed it's viability as a commercial crop due to it's cost of production.

And yes, after digging through 18 pages of Supa trying to bs ICmag, I concur that 808genetics is completely full of shit.

And yes I spoke to my dad extensively about what he was selling, it was Crippie, he's quote certain about that, and from what I remember so am I...now prior to my time he also dabbled with the TK & Gainesville Green, as well as Santa Marta Gold and other import strains that were coming into Everglades City...he just wasn't a grower, only a distributor.

Don't think that the Crippie has disappeared, cuts still exist, I just think it's more for personal use these days than commercial.

From someone who grew up in south FL.... Crippie is not a strain, period. It was just a term, as others have said, for cannabis that was better than regs. You either had Regs, which was basically dirt weed from jamaca or the bahamas, or Crippie (or Dro, same as crippie. OMG BRO YOU GOT THAT DRO? NO ONE GROWS HyDRO!). 100% not a strain though, as everyone was calling anything decent "crippie" before actual strain names were able to be verified, etc (even though that BARELY happens now). I'm sure there were less cuts floating around back then, but they're their own genetics, whatever they are.

HOWEVER, I do remember usually getting the same general good stuff, from different people. It always had a very strong red / dark orange hair presence, not a ton of crystals, and a deep dank dark earthy smell, sometimes fruity but never sour or anything like a Lemon Kush smell. It was always VERY fluffy, not hard. Didn't need a grinder at all.

So my point is that there's really no way to know, since it was the generic term from the start. I don't agree with the theory that it was a strain, and then dealers were trying to say what they had was that strain. Dealers were just that.... idiot street dealers who know nothing about cannabis except how to smoke and sell it. They needed a quick, generic term to separate regs and decent stuff.

Last edited:
E

Eye

Yo anyone still got some bagseeds that they found in their regs back in the 1970's or 1980's ?
I'm talking about the dirt weed from Jamaica, Mexico or the Bahamas like ChasingGreen already mentioned.
Not the crippy or the dank. I mean the shwag from back in the day basically.
Most of it was probably Mexican shwag.
Could you send in a couple to the bay? I'd bid on a few packs.

Florida has the perfect climate for an indigenous landrace to develop.
Has anyone ever been landrace hunting in the everglades? Hey it's not my fault if you get eaten by the crocs or the sharks though.

Do you remember back in the 90's when you were driving through the woods and it always smelled like fresh weed? Especially after some rain. You could smell it through the air conditioning in the car. Remember?

Last edited:
Yo anyone still got some bagseeds that they found in their regs back in the 1970's or 1980's ?
I'm talking about the dirt weed from Jamaica, Mexico or the Bahamas like ChasingGreen already mentioned.
Not the crippy. I mean the shwag from back in the day basically.
Most of it was probably Mexican shwag.
Could you send in a couple to the bay? I'd bid on a few packs.

Florida has the perfect climate for an indigenous landrace to develop.
Has anyone ever been landrace hunting in the everglades? Hey it's not my fault if you get eaten by the crocs or the sharks though.

Do you remember back in the 90's when you were driving through the woods and it always smelled like fresh weed? Especially after some rain. You could smell it through the air conditioning in the car. Remember?

I actually do, from the 90's, but sorry I don't know how to buy on seedbay, let alone sell. That plus the fact that I used to just throw them all in a medicne bottle so they're all mixed up from like a 10 year period :) Eventually maybe I'll start poppin them.

So my point is that there's really no way to know, since it was the generic term from the start. I don't agree with the theory that it was a strain, and then dealers were trying to say what they had was that strain. Dealers were just that.... idiot street dealers who know nothing about cannabis except how to smoke and sell it. They needed a quick, generic term to separate regs and decent stuff.

They had that term already man, it was Dro...you are tripping if you think weed didn't have names back then in Florida, what about Triangle Kush, what about Gainesville Green, what about The White & the Bubba...just because people on your side of town didn't know what they were smoking doesn't mean that the rest of Florida was the same way, specifically Tampa & Orlando where most of the Crippie was. The idiot street dealers you were talking about co-opted Crippie as a generic term for kind bud because their customers always asked for the Crippie not because they came up with that plan on their own...you're speaking from a strictly street-level retail aspect of this argument and I'm talking about growers & distributers, the kind of people who absolutely knew what their product was.

OLDproLg

Veteran
OG crippy????

As surf'd said,not even close.

Try Gainesville green!!!
if you can find it?
is a sativa,and some very dank stuff still round,
held tight...good luck,i NEED A CUT!!!
lg

They had that term already man, it was Dro...you are tripping if you think weed didn't have names back then in Florida, what about Triangle Kush, what about Gainesville Green, what about The White & the Bubba...just because people on your side of town didn't know what they were smoking doesn't mean that the rest of Florida was the same way, specifically Tampa & Orlando where most of the Crippie was. The idiot street dealers you were talking about co-opted Crippie as a generic term for kind bud because their customers always asked for the Crippie not because they came up with that plan on their own...you're speaking from a strictly street-level retail aspect of this argument and I'm talking about growers & distributers, the kind of people who absolutely knew what their product was.

I see what you're saying, and you're mostly correct. I still stand by my original comment about it not being a ripped off name. I don't think anyone was asking for a strain called crippy, ever. I guess growing up, I always assumed it was called Crippie because the Crips sold "better bud" all the sudden compared to the other gangs and gave it the name. This is never a theory I've shared haha.

You are also correct that I didn't know anyone with genetics back then. Anyone who was growing at that time was growing bagseed.

Man this makes me have fond memories of that chill beach fluffy bud that I used to get that we're discussing. It was never THAT great, but very stony and perfect for the beach.

In '91-'93 there were definitely people asking for a specific strain known as Crippie, at least in my area of the state, my dad got pounds of it every other week in those years, and it was ALWAYS the same, no variation in taste smell or potency...just my personal experience with it.

RoyalFlush

DEA Agent
This is how I can distinguish the real Crippy from the fakes.

Taste: To me it taste Soapy something like a Palmolive dish soap smell. I would say hashy, earthy, faint flora, faint spice. I can't get the taste right. ( unique tast, hard to describe )

Look: Lime green, sugar coated, orange hairs, fat calyxs. Dense nugs.

Effect: Powerful Narcotic effect, hits you on the head first then down the body. Smoking to much can lead to retarded zombie mode and anything passed that is straight K.O.

Last edited:
Triangle Kush supposedly came from a breeding/distributing collective that were out of Tampa, Orlando & Jacksonville ('sposed to be why it's even called Triangle) it had it's heyday but was short-lived as a commercial smoke, many people kept cuts, lots of breeders have made crosses...I only had it a few times, it was okay, definitely quality, but it never blew me away like the Crippie did...I believe The White is a specific TK pheno as well.

RoyalFlush

IMHO your description of the Crippie was pretty spot on from my memory of it. It's insane that you got a cut in '07...I remember that stuff from the very early '90s.

Is it still around in the Homestead area? I'd love to get my hands on some...

RoyalFlush

DEA Agent
I highly doubt you would be able to find an S1 or a cross on the net. DNA's Florida og is BS, Its just plain ole Og kush S1's ( S2's since OG is an S1), I think its there OG Kush repackaged into the Grow Your Own brand.

Last edited: