What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

BlueDigiBerry F2

John Deere

Veteran
Yep, they flipped 08/23 so just passed 4 weeks. And thanks for the tip. I'll watch the light height, especially since it's a new bulb.

John Deere

Veteran
I snapped a few pix today.

canopy

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Plant #3 has the serrations I am talking about within the Digi line...

Looking good, JD - keep it up!!! :respect:

Nice to see ya over here too, Gil. ;)

dank.Frank

John Deere

Veteran
Hope you're right, d.f, and thanks. She was growing so fast when she was young that I was sure she'd be a boy. And her side branching is just nuts. I took a ton of big cuts off her (took 10, 1 died, tossed 3) just because there were so many. She'll be perfect for filling my small cab with only a couple plants but I'm going to withhold final judgement until I compare the smoke from all of them.

I've got 2 cuts each from #'s 1 and 2. #1 was difficult because there were so few branches and they were all tiny. She'd be a perfect SOG plant if you could get enough rooted cuts. #2 is branching very well and was the first to root. (big roots, too) This is fun!

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
If you go back and look at the pics of the Digi male - you'll see he spits branches like crazy. The Carolina Blue hardly gives any side branching at all - it's straight up and down. But, once outcrossed, I've not heard one single complaint...the CB x Digi all branched great.

Wish I was more familiar with VG's cut so I could really make more accurate observations. :joint:

The F2, I have no clue how that will play out on the terepene profiles, but I know I've found a bunch of very berry offspring when coming directly off the Digi male - regardless what he was paired with, that terepene profile would come through in various phenos - to the point it was beyond obvious on a stem rub which ones would have the berry aroma...

dank.Frank

Gil Tokerson

Veteran
I had about given up on my order after about 4 weeks of sending in my payment. But it is now paid and shipped! Yay. I was about to start some sour boggle, but now I have a decision to make. Probably wait for the digiberry. Does anyone have any tips on how to sort a pack of seeds, make back ups, and not have an absurd plant number going on? If I start 10, make 1 or 2 cuttings of each, that puts me up to 20-30 not counting my other moms etc. I'm guessing that's really the only way to do it, but I figured I'd ask you old pros anyway.
-gil

Gil Tokerson

Veteran
I know it's possible to take cuttings from flowering plants, so that you can wait to pick your keepers. But I haven't had the greatest success with that method. I've gotten some to root, but it takes much longer, and the it takes forever to revert back To veg.

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Gil, this is not a pure Digital Berry line - make sure you don't refer to it as such.

This is VG's BlueDigiBerry. There ARE direct Digi genetics - let's not blur the lines. ;)

But it seems you understand the process you have to go through - comes down to your choice. More time or more plants. Rock and a hard place. ;)

dank.Frank

Gil Tokerson

Veteran
My bad. Sorry about that. In my head,I typed "bluedigiberry", but that's not what my fingers did. I usually post from my phone, and I can't always see what I'm typing, so I get lots of typos.

Is the "digi" for digital? If so, is that just the name it had when aquired, or was that name given after the fact. I know it's just a name, and doesn't really matter. I had never heard of digiberry until stumbling onto vg's f2 cross. I've been watching his dp blueberry for several years now.

Gil Tokerson

Veteran
...and I know you already gave the background on the digi in your thread. I'm just wondering about the name.

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Digital Berry is the name that came with the original cut back in the early/mid 80's. Not sure entirely how it got that name - and I'm not sure that Chili does either. As far as I remember, that is the name Chili acquired it with and he has kept it unchanged.

I just want to keep the names straight. It will get confusing the more people get lax on the names - so for the sake of others reading it that aren't really following but rather just kind of browsing, I like to keep things as specific as possible.

VG and I have talked about our blues many times over - given we are both such avid fans of the high. If you think I'm bad about praising Digi - you should talk to Chili - seeing as I'm really just expanding upon the work he did before me...really, I work the Digi lines out of respect for what it is. I want to see it kept as true as possible and to be utilized in the best ways possible - which is EXACTLY why I made sure that VG had a chance to explore the love he had for his personal cut a bit more.

A male that passes an exact / given / desired terepene and cannabinoid profile is not always as easy to find as you would think. Chimera states replicating cannabinoid profile as being the hardest thing about breeding. I truly knew what I was looking for within the Digi line - but I will be the first to tell you there was of course a bit of luck involved in finding a male that breed true for both the high and smell of the mother clone. A blessing is a more accurate word. The best thing to do when blessed is to pay it forward as much as life allows you to...

I'm really hoping that VG takes a bit more time with the line - does some isolating of what he thinks should be the proper representation, and then continues to breed it towards a more singular expression, but that is his decision to make.

Fwiw - the Digi is the oldest known representation of blueberry I have ever come across.

dank.Frank

Gil Tokerson

Veteran
Thanks for the info. I figured that was the case with the name. I wonder why "digital"?
I'd like to thank dank frank and verdant green for coming together on this and sharing these gifts with others. I'm excited to get to work with something that's been preserved for so long.

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I'm wanting to say it had something to do with digits...as in fingers/toes - NOT digital, as in technology - if I remember correctly...

It is truly an honor to spread the best I can. Does the world no good to keep in all to myself. It was shared with me. I will share it with others. And I assume the nature of such will continue on through the ages. It is only right and proper.

dank.Frank

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
hey guys, im right in the middle of a hectic couple of week! i'll be back with a longer post as soon as i can.

pics look great! nice to see the variation. i can see some traits from my Blueberry in there and its great that frank has stopped by and dropped some thoughts on the cross and the digi. i'll be back to respond to those soon also

thanks guys

VG

John Deere

Veteran
I finally moved the gals to the flower cab yesterday. Aromas are incredible--sweet, fruity, flowery. Amazing.

VG--How long do you like to run the parents? I'm just past 6 weeks. I'm wondering if the T5 might have slowed things down a bit. I generally let my plants go until they're fully grown and ripe for the fullest flavors, aromas and effects so I'm not too worried about letting them go awhile. Just wondering what you prefer.

2' x 2' cab, 400w hps, 20 gal geopot

picture.php

Last edited:

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
hey JD, glad they are finally under the hps... although the T5's produced some good nugs on them to be sure.
i think frank said that the digi goes about 8 weeks and tends to be dominant for flowering time, but obviously these being F2s there is likely to be some variation in that.
my blueberry tends to go around 10 weeks but i have taken it twelve. it tends to start foxtailing/stacking calyxes around week 7 and then its always a bit of a tough call as it may keep foxtailing for weeks if you let it. i have found different levels of nutrients in the soil will influence the way it finishes but i know you tend not to hold with that sort of talk ;)
great to hear that you are getting all those aromas, that tells me that my Bb cut is showing through as really it is a riot of sweet/floral/fruity/hashy smells and actually very smelly all round. on my cut the berry comes through towards the end but often after you've opened the bag you have to let some of the other smells calm down a bit before the berry is the strongest one.

VG

Gil Tokerson

Veteran
Hey VG, I've been doing a little research on "blue" strains in preparation for my pack of f2s. The description of DJ shorts blue velvet sounds like your description of your dp blueberry. It mentions foxtails and a fruity floral aroma.
I got my pack finally, and will post here once I get it going. Going out of town, so I want to wait till I get back. Should be next week.
-gil

g0vnaa

ICE Cream eater
Veteran
Looking nice man. I bet she is gonna explode in those last weeks.
Waiting for the final pics and smoke report :p