What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

The True Origin of G13

swayzie

gotta love the folklore.. truth is, no one will ever know the real story. just like the true origins of 100's of other strains.

MPL

That's the exact shit that was available when I lived in MS (I lived in NE MS for almost 20 years).

It ain't anything I ever want to smoke again that's for sure.

Sometimes you could get some Mexibrick.

Picture%2035.preview.jpg

this is the crap grown in MS..

it aint g-13 ;)

MPL

Good luck finding anything concrete out. Since cultivating pot is illegal it's hard to know where lots of strains come from, especially when they're from the US, and ESPECIALLY when they're from pre-prop215/sb420 days. People just didn't, and still don't really advertise what they're doing when it could get them tossed into jail for a good chunk of their life.

Thats intersting Raco. I wonder what Sam the Skunkman says about it because the dates are much closer -76- to what i expected to hear and if we ever really find out, i believe we'll hear that it appeared late 70's somewhere.

Good info. Were getting warmer now. More clues guys.

From UM website (research.olemiss.edu):

"Since 1968, the University of Mississippi has maintained the nation’s only legal marijuana farm through a grant from the National Institutes of Health’s (NIH) National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA). In that time, the project has provided marijuana and its compounds to researchers around the country conducting HHS-approved studies1 of the plant, its chemical components, and their potential beneficial and harmful effects.

Dr. Mahmoud ElSohly joined the project when he came to Ole Miss in 1976 and has been Marijuana Project director since 1980. In the ’80s and early ’90s, ElSohly’s work focused on analyzing marijuana samples seized by the DEA to develop a marijuana “fingerprinting” system that is still being used to trace crops to their sources globally. The responsibility of analyzing the material for the DEA also provided UM researchers the opportunity to study a wide variety of plants leading to a better understanding of the many chemicals found in Cannabis.

In recent years, with some support from NIH, ElSohly and other UM researchers have studied Cannabis to develop new medicines and new ways of delivering the chemical compounds in marijuana, particularly tetrahydrocannabinol (THC), to treat a range of chronic conditions—from nausea due to chemotherapy for cancer patients to neuropathic pain for multiple sclerosis patients."

Morphote, you need to give DS Toker a break. Despite appearances, not everyone in the South is crazy about football.

Raco- that's some funny shit right there. I was just thinking the same thing and there it was you beat me to it. I was of course thinking of the film as it's total BS, I actually found then released the G-13 cut and it wasn't from any university. A black op in an R&D facility under Alkali lake went pear shaped It was supposed to be a simple extraction but we had bad intel and the package wasn't present. Then on the way out some hairy little fuck with claws got in our way so myself and a few other guys from my unit (you know, ex seal team 6'ers and former foreign legion 2REP guys) smoked him, set demo charges and set on departing. In a lab on the way out I noticed something stuck to me which looked like an MJ clone. It was and I figured if it's so sticky it attached itself to my kevlar vest it must be some good shit so we fucked off in modified Sikorsky black hawk.... yada yada yada, got really hammered and the rest is history...

O.G.#1

Be it truth or myth i could careless but none the less what ever came thru my so cal area back in the mid 90s which was dubbed by the dealer as "G13" was the best chronic ive ever had the plesure of smoking to this very day. Blowing Bubba, Jackie, Sour Diesel, OG Kush, P-91, HogsBreath, CatPiss, HashPlant#1 & BullRider all out of the water and thoes 9 strains are in my ALL-TIME top 10. Now dont get me wrong, im not saying what i smoked was the mythical "G13" that was created in a university yadda yadda yadda but what i am saying is whatever it happend to of been could of easily been worthy of such a label back in thoes days, especially with so much folklore still surrounding it to this very day. Fyi been smoking the finest chronic and only the finest chronic for about 20 yrs.

B

bocil

G-13 is only Pure Marketing for childs , Chinese whispers.

Last edited:

mazar_man

I was just watching the pot tv interview with mel frank on youtube and gotta say always thought g13 was just marketing hype but the interview makes you wonder if U of M WAS the source after all. Mel Frank judging from the interview was clearly highly involved in breeding back in the pioneer days and describes his relatipnship with the primary mj researcher in missippi. Intrestingly when the interviewer makes a comment about g13 coming from there mel just gives alittle grin and starts talking about his relationship with the researcher and trading genetics with him... Hmm freudian slip of some kind??? What is known for certain is:

Nevil was original COMMERCIAL source of g13

Nevil says he just passed on the story told to him when he bought the clone in oregon

Jorge cervantes is the rumoured source for nevil for g13 (coincidently lived in portland oregon at the time nevil purchased the clone. Jorge and nevil are old friends.. Posts by both confirm this at nevils site

Jorge knew mel frank, mentions it in interview hat can easily be found online

Mel frank had very close ties with missippi mj research and provided genetics to several well known breeders, original dutch durban source as mentioned in an old skunk mag interview, afghan1 source to Sam as noted in youtube interview..

Does not seem like such a stretch that u of m researcher supplied mel with g13 clone which got passed to jorge then nevil who made it famous by flogging it worldwide. Adds some credibility to the nom de fleur version ofthe g13/sacred seeds story also.

MPL

I haven't tried it personally, so this is purely anectodotal, but I've heard the handful of patients who get MMJ from UM via the Feds think that it all sucks terribly. One of the reasons other researchers want to use their own weed is because they say what UM grows is of very poor quality.

I don't imagine that anything of the mythical quality G13 is supposed to have (never bothered with it myself) has ever come out of UM.

G

guest8905

interesting thread.

ive heard it called "pacific g--13" as well

my first small medical indoor run some years ago was fun. I was given a few clones and one was labeled 'G13", well it grew tall and fat and pretty indica dominant leaf pattern. It had the most intoxicating smell though, something similiar to sour apples and fruit. But lime green chunky nugs. Not sure if it was the real thing but it was great.

B

bocil

The Circus return to the Forum , G13 is a fantasy story about Neville´s marketing .G-13 , Dracula , Freddie´s nightmare , Jason , Fumanchu , terror stories.

4 Dragons

This G13 story has been going on since at least the early 70's when I first heard it. The story originally was that there were 3 books on how to grow superior marijuana and that 1 of the books was smuggled out. In that story the person who smuggled it out was a friend of my older Brother and he has been missing since. It's all just a story. The story of MTF has also been around since at least back then and it it changes with the wind just like "g13".

All about marketing...

imagine nothern light from a guy on a island name Jo indian or sum like that a small amount of seed a then by magic we have nl 3 n5 and so so tss

and then chem 91 with all that story about pound a weed and soo soo.in all that story chem suppose be humbolt and do BX3 of the chem where he suppose find the good pheno..a guess if seed where make in humbolt they make nuff !! my view

the cheese uk one ... suppose a exodus cut and now people say at list 3 cheese

i'm loose for real at one time will be nice to discover all bacground

Some information I remember reading about the lab in mississippi was most of the strains were mexican and columbian sativa. When they tested the strains it included the stems and seeds and the thc percentages tested lower. The article I remember reading had some details and could probably be found on the net.. Remember thc in the 7% range for some of the samples with 10 and 11% being on the high end on 2 sativas.

That was the information on strains they were testing and breeding with according to the article. Don't believe they released information about everything they tested but only the information they wanted to get out. It would not surprise me that they would have discovered indica crops around the country in the late 70's and according to the the CNN special (dr gupta) they said one strain they had from the streets tested 37 or 38% thc.

The first time I got to look and smoke G-13 was 1988 in Feburary on a unsupervised ski trip at greek peak ski resort NY. Will never forget it as it was the first time I got to see real G-13. The green buds were indica dom "balls", like swirls of goodness that now would be called clumps or flower sites. A quote from that night, in the hotel room bathroom will last a life time.

Under the effect of G-13, we postulated the question, "How many pizza's were delivered here tonight?" It must have been 100 and we laughed for 20 minutes or more retarded from smoking a joint with 2 hotties and another dude. It was excellent pot and RKS was around at the same time so it was different then the RKS Afghan of the same time period.

The girl who had the G-13 said her boyfriend got it from a friend who worked in a lab at that time in PA. Doing work under a government contract and it was a drug company. It was from a trusted friend who was not looking for a hype story. Because of my interest she was able to fill in some of the blanks about the origin and the source. At that time it was not information the girl would have had on the subject or the hype. I got to look at about a 1/4 sack of nugs. Green circular dense indica nugs and I think the hairs were orange. It smelled different then most bud and was not skunky as much as hashy. The shape was the most outstanding feature. The high was one I'll never forget.

It was not until later that Airborne's and Pacific's cuts came into the picture. On an old thread on a long gone site the two cuts were considered to be almost identical in finished product. The leaf's were different on the two clones but that was it. Not sure about how close they are to Dr green thumbs cut he s1's and have seen another more purple colored G-13 also.

stihgnobevoli

Veteran
i grew out some of GN G13 IBL? it was mostly indica with a sativa high. smell was like coffegrounds, chocolate/cocoa, and garbage. like a dumpster with old coffee on top.

wherever it comes from it's ok, doesn't warrant that fancy background story. haven't even grown it again since.

MG1036

G-13

G-13

Afghani cutting number 13 - was liberated from U-Miss. Then it went to Shantibaba in Amsterdam where it was bred with Mr.Nice. Neville obtained it afterwards and has been used in crossbreeding with the clone only strain: Northern Lights, Hashplant,....

Attachments

• tumblr_o1l1mpr5jL1uuj3iqo2_500.jpg
    tumblr_o1l1mpr5jL1uuj3iqo2_500.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 29

LostTribe

Premium user
I am running the 88g13hash x brothers grimm afghani right now and I also have an airborne g13 from reeferman that I am about to bloom soon. heres a pic or 2 of the cross! This one is super sweet tasting probably from the afghani but I am gonna pop some more soon looking for a male to hit the ag with.

picture.php

picture.php

41 days 12/12

Latest posts

Latest posts