What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Greenhouse translucent roofing SUNLIGHT vs INDOOR LIGHTING HPS, which is better?

cdoc

Greenhouse translucent roofing SUNLIGHT vs INDOOR LIGHTING HPS, which is better?

I was wondering if anyone here tried using A greenhouse translucent roofing ( corrugated UV protected ) roofing... Does this affect the resin production since the roofing is UV Protected, does this makes the resin less potent?

Andyo

Veteran
hps better

hps better

plants in greenhouse ,twinwall poly carbonate were very leafy and less resin just like outdoor plants
Hps way better .A

Phaeton

Speed of Dark
Veteran
I use five foot sections of corrugated roofing with velcro holding the pieces together in a circle around individual plants and lay a lid across the top. Little tiny greenhouses to keep the plants warm in August. Considerably better growth than naked to the world.

As to better than indoor? There is way more to it than sun/artificial light.
Climate, humidity, pests, night temperatures, soil/nutrients, day length, wind, genetics, spectrum, all of these items have immense influence over the garden and apply to inside as well as outside growing areas.

Locally my indoor kicks ass over most outdoor grown, almost all of which is greenhouse. I do not use HPS ever.
My son lives in California and his outdoor kicks my indoor into the dirt on occasion. Greenhouse or naked makes little difference in his warmer climate.

I use five foot sections of corrugated roofing with velcro holding the pieces together in a circle around individual plants and lay a lid across the top. Little tiny greenhouses to keep the plants warm in August. Considerably better growth than naked to the world.

Oh man, why didn't I think of that? Thanks for that idea. I might go with a rigid frame and 'tent' instead, but still, it's a great idea that solves some of my privacy issues with in-yard outdoor approaches too, if applied right... going to stew on that til spring...

farmerlion

Microbial Repositories
Mentor
Veteran
I have grown several years indoors with 600 watt HPS lights and some cfl's. Last season I did a greenhouse without a blackout system. The trichomes were even on overall production. The total bud production wasn't even close. The greenhouse kicks the shit out of my indoor room plant for plant. I have double layer plastic roof outside layer is uv. Smaller plants average 8.5 oz My larger plants were all over a pound each.
I'm running several strains of different genetics this year. I may get slightly different results. With refining my greenhouse environment. I expect yields to increase this season. Peace

stoney917

i Am SoFaKiNg WeTod DiD
Veteran
It depends or what you mean by better.. Indoors hps, dialed room the quality is tough to beat, but for overall sun wins every time... The real winner is an dialed in green house with gavitas...

stoney917

i Am SoFaKiNg WeTod DiD
Veteran
Another big factor is green house location, a gh in Alaska ain't fuk in with one in San Diego ... Many factor to consider which is better for ya situation ..

The over all plant production health will not be affected to much by roofing your talking about in my heyday what i used to make green house roofs.

Foliage ft2 x cell density = light absorption = photosynthesis+photochemistry/RH+Co2 = transpiration rate = water/nutrient used / Time = Yield

Placing your greenhouse in the best relative position to the sun that's possible for your location is only one part of the best the plants could do. To go off what farmerlion said refining greenhouse environment is key to over all plant development for every stage.Getting your plants transpiration rate to increase is increasing your plants nutrient use. transpiration rate is the bottle neck that prevents most growers from getting amazing plants. I have been to parts of south africa witch are very close to the equator where UV relatively higher. What I got to experience is my driving force in growing cannabis, The plants i had the pleasure to look at where each in pit taller than the plants that was made up of every type of plant matter you could imagine. Stepping down into the compost pit I felt the humidity change and could feel the sweat forming. I good friend Abraham that brought me to this amazing place took me to a small straw curing shack and rolled us tulip Joint like it was nothing. Lite it with wood matches witch all he had after the second puff i was dizzy but i did not stop there after few more i felt more awake and aware of my surrounding more than any other kind i have ever tried. And Ya all the plants in the small shed where solid resin speers to this day i have not seen bud that looks like it was dipped in oil with out being dipped. there my story hopefully it inspires you little to do the research and have fun time doing it. :tiphat:

Pumpkin

Veteran
As I think has been covered, a whole range of environmental elements impact plant growth. If you have a perfect environment in your greenhouse, you can control the temperature and humidity, and you live in a sunny environment, you might come out better in a greenhouse.

It is more likely you can control these elements more accurately inside under artificial lighting however.

Sometimes outdoor conditions are perfect and provide more airflow than a greenhouse or indoors can provide. And in some circumstances provide outstanding cannabis. And as you can forget about the height of your plants and your electricity bill. Return on investment can be better, depending on your climate. It's a lot easier to absorb losses if your investment is not great.

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
Indoor all the way..Greenhouse not as dense, more leafy...Having had many greenhouses I have seen it many times..I have had frosted,woven poly,panels from Lowes and a few other setups..Yeehaw

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts