What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

UVB VS NO UVB Side by Side

led05

Chasing The Present

I hear ya buddy - just a few things from out back, we don't buy much from the grocer here - grown in natural soil, low N and high P, ya dig....

yardgrazer

That's a great looking harvest.

Pretty sure I've almost never come across stuff as good as I was getting in the Boston area ~20 years ago.

Klompen

I clearly stated MY Weed ( Blue Orca Haze ) was seemingly 2x more potent vs White Caramel Cookies from Denver Dispensary, and it was rated 27%.

Im in a nonlegal state, and have yet to see any that beats ours, and Ive had all kinds of it from Cali, Colorado, Michigan.. But none from Oregon, or Wash st.

I have really noticed this here in the Midwest. There's tons of this Colorado warehouse grown pot being smuggled in and it all looks amazing and people sell it for 50-60(or more) per eighth, but most of the brick weed available around here is surprisingly comparable. To call the legal weed disappointing is an understatement. I haven't been able to smoke for the last year for a lot of unfortunate reasons but I'm really hoping to grow some good stuff this fall/winter. All I have is a crappy selection of genetics bred outdoors and a handful of fem seeds that were an oops from a few hermies I had years ago. Despite that, I think if grown correctly it could come out close to as good as a lot of that commercial legal stuff. Maybe with time they'll start producing better bud. Maybe I just haven't found the right source. At 400+ per ounce or 50-70 per eighth around here, its just too pricey to bother with. I'll just try and breed my shitty genetics till I see some improvements.

G

Im still waiting for some actual data in correlation to use of UVB other that claims by stoner science professors.

I actually went to the trouble to buy a Solarmeter 6.2 and measured the difference in a PURE UV 2' T5 and a lightly used Reptisun 10. The readings posted over at RIU months ago. Not that its science but its the closest thing I have seen linking actual measurement. Love to see some REAL testing instead of butt hurt posts by dudes who just say this or that UV light looks better to me or feels more like sun on my skin or some other BS. I cant say if it helped since I dont have room to run a side by side in different tents or such with and without UVB.
I keep asking the stoner science professors to show some info besides what they "hear" or what they think or what they "see" or "feel". I think some of them are sales hucksters most likely. I have spent real money out of my pocket to compare in a no way scientific manor and make no claims one way or another.

Last edited:

Klompen

Unfortunately most of what you hear in the cannabis community is informal science at best and wives tales or even sales spin at worst. I have a friend who grew the same strain inside many times and outside many times and despite the total lack of UV light, the inside stuff was far better in practically every regard. I'm skeptical that it truly makes the difference often attributed to it.

Lost in a SOG

GrassSnakeGenetics
Why doesn't anyone go and look for research in this on other plants? :wallbash:

Data on other plants can be applied to cannabis just not on THC or cannabinoid content obviously.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4240378/

Here's an article showing Basil Terp content doubling under uvb treatment.. More terpenes = better high.. and also that the capitulate trichomes do fill more completely under uvb supplementation..

If you have everything dialed in and have nowhere left to go then maybe start thinking about UV supplementation but most ganja growers are far from that level of control over their indoor environment..

I'm amazed how many people still don't know about VPD and the importance of the right humidity for transpiration.

Klompen

I don't doubt it has some potential effects in cannabis, but the very best herb I've used over the years has been almost exclusively grown indoors; Most of which did not have any appreciable UV content(HPS or LED lights). I've seen some excellent bud grown under metal halide lights too of course, and CMH is even better. Still, the main difference I've seen in those cases is the density of the bud and the structure of the plants. I'm deeply skeptical of how significant the difference is, but I wouldn't say that all things equal there might not be SOME difference. Is it worth the risks and costs? I have yet to be sold on the notion that it is.

led05

Chasing The Present
Im still waiting for some actual data in correlation to use of UVB other that claims by stoner science professors.

I actually went to the trouble to buy a Solarmeter 6.2 and measured the difference in a PURE UV 2' T5 and a lightly used Reptisun 10. The readings posted over at RIU months ago. Not that its science but its the closest thing I have seen linking actual measurement. Love to see some REAL testing instead of butt hurt posts by dudes who just say this or that UV light looks better to me or feels more like sun on my skin or some other BS. I cant say if it helped since I dont have room to run a side by side in different tents or such with and without UVB.
I keep asking the stoner science professors to show some info besides what they "hear" or what they think or what they "see" or "feel". I think some of them are sales hucksters most likely. I have spent real money out of my pocket to compare in a no way scientific manor and make no claims one way or another.

Cheers....So you went and bought almost the same meter I've had for years (6.5 is better for the task and certainly in units most understand easily); one that I recommended and have already posted in depth details on, sweet, what did you test lights wise, just a couple? I’ve tested over 30 sources. UVB has pros and cons, anyone using GH and outdoors to grow many plants can clearly express this. You ever see clumsy bugs/bees in a GH and wonder why, yup no UV, big part of the way they see.....

I have excellent UVB lights here (https://www.ushio.com/files/specifications/low-pressure-mercury-arc-blacklight.pdf - the 306nm ones, you won't find anything close to this in output for wattage or costs), safe and easy for me to use inside but I don’t often anymore fwiw. I also know my basil in my GH looks much healthier but pales in comparison to my outside grow basil for terps and flavor. Take it as u will....

Last edited:

led05

Chasing The Present

Data on other plants can be applied to cannabis just not on THC or cannabinoid content obviously.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4240378/

Here's an article showing Basil Terp content doubling under uvb treatment.. More terpenes = better high.. and also that the capitulate trichomes do fill more completely under uvb supplementation..

If you have everything dialed in and have nowhere left to go then maybe start thinking about UV supplementation but most ganja growers are far from that level of control over their indoor environment..

I'm amazed how many people still don't know about VPD and the importance of the right humidity for transpiration.

good post(s) in here lost.....

In General....

funny how if you do actually go back in time to my posts and look truly you'll realize everything I've said in here holds weight, truth & value, not all of us in here are Bro science..... Bros ;).. probably the same for my posts on VPD, years ago, click and see ;)

Last edited:

BerrySeal

Google is forbidden from bro science. May you be smited by the almighty Cervantes and Rosenthal.

I have enough free pdfs and links i might as well write my own grow bible of bro blasphemy. Just need to pick a cool artwork for the cover and an even lamer alias. Got all them fancy words to prove whats already known generations ago. I guess you gotta actually have a concept in your mind before you can Google and prove it with legitimamized research. Anyone who started growing indoors struggles with certain concepts I suppose. Like, nature, shit like that.

Everyone who does venture outside of the forum cults for grow info usually goes straight to fiber crop info. Med/rec Cannabis is about secondary metabolites, not boat sails and hippy necklaces. The modern grower barely believes in isoprenoids. They constantly bash concepts of "aromatherapy" which proves they've never gotten half as high as bunted baseball in their lives.

Its a lot more than smelling essential oils adding to the effect. Everyone knows lactic acid grown pot getta you higher. And so does outdoor weed. Not all terpinoids are about smell. Its a shame the best pot many have smoked was grown indoors. More proof they've never been 1/10th as high as I get daily.

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
I'm having a particularly crap day with my search abilities.

The OP was coming back with a smoke report, but I can't see it

I'm interested in UV-B led's and see Rayvio do a 293nm, but not on there site. Digikey draw me to their own site, offering the full portfolio of Rayvio's uvc and uvb products, but they don't list any uvb when I get there. I see results all over google for a range of wavelengths, but visiting the sites I have only found:

leuva66h00ku00
LG branded 3w ~3.0uv smd
It's also priceless, and lacking any real data.

I realise peeps are saying 75w per meter would be needed, but I have results for this device going back to 2015. It's over 3 years old. There must be something better.

I wouldn't mind spending a bit much, because uvb tubes only last 6 months. I expect a bit longer from an led. However, these have uses in medical equipment, so won't have consumer level pricing. It's hidden pricing..

edit: There is the leuva77n50ku00 also. It has 3 times the output, and looks like it's 4 grouped together.

Last edited:

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
I could not agree more.

I was in California 2 years ago and had the opportunity to sample the hybrid strains everyone was raving about. You are 100% spot on with a short and boring high from almost everything I sampled. The 2 best strains were Jack Herer (of course) and the Green Crack. Both grown organically in a greenhouse.

The 6 others I tried, also grown in the same greenhouse, weren't noteworthy other than they were the hottest thing on social media.
A lot of the newer stuff is maxxing out only a few elements of the profile. The higher the THC, the lower the terpene and other cannabinoid content goes. Same goes with maxxing out terpenes.

That being said, what was your source for these greenhouse flowers? I found the majority of the California dispensaries (10 years ago) to be producing early cut. Basically a lot of boring, short lasting highs from dispensary cannabis.

All older strains like Chem-91, Headband, Trainwreck, Sensi Star and more. I was basically sampling all the strains I'd read about for years, while living in a prohibition run "headies or couchlock" state.

So, please take into account poor growing and poor harvesting/handling practices. ;) lol

I don't doubt it has some potential effects in cannabis, but the very best herb I've used over the years has been almost exclusively grown indoors; Most of which did not have any appreciable UV content(HPS or LED lights).

It’s kind of weird to think this way. Almost like you think if we were able to use the sun indoors it wouldn’t make a difference. Imagine using the sun as your light source as you grew indoors plants. Those plants would undoubtedly be better than the outdoors ones right? When I say use the sun I mean totally control the sun as our personal light source

G

Cheers....So you went and bought almost the same meter I've had for years (6.5 is better for the task and certainly in units most understand easily); one that I recommended and have already posted in depth details on, sweet, what did you test lights wise, just a couple? I’ve tested over 30 sources. UVB has pros and cons, anyone using GH and outdoors to grow many plants can clearly express this. You ever see clumsy bugs/bees in a GH and wonder why, yup no UV, big part of the way they see.....

I have excellent UVB lights here (https://www.ushio.com/files/specifications/low-pressure-mercury-arc-blacklight.pdf - the 306nm ones, you won't find anything close to this in output for wattage or costs), safe and easy for me to use inside but I don’t often anymore fwiw. I also know my basil in my GH looks much healthier but pales in comparison to my outside grow basil for terps and flavor. Take it as u will....
And while Im not trying to be rude Im still waiting for you to provide some real info since you have tested extensively it seems every UV/UVB source to date. Beyond what you "like" or get paid to use. Not being harsh, maybe a little, but you gotta back up your claims. I dont make any other that its still up in the air. Just like UVB.

G

A lot of the newer stuff is maxxing out only a few elements of the profile. The higher the THC, the lower the terpene and other cannabinoid content goes. Same goes with maxxing out terpenes.

That being said, what was your source for these greenhouse flowers? I found the majority of the California dispensaries (10 years ago) to be producing early cut. Basically a lot of boring, short lasting highs from dispensary cannabis.

All older strains like Chem-91, Headband, Trainwreck, Sensi Star and more. I was basically sampling all the strains I'd read about for years, while living in a prohibition run "headies or couchlock" state.

So, please take into account poor growing and poor harvesting/handling practices. ;) lol

Im still looking to see some data from palaces like Israel or other countries that allow the real research to happen.

GOT_BUD?

Weed is a gateway to gardening
ICMag Donor
Veteran

That is an excellent point.

ambertrichome

Veteran
In Isreal they infuse the Greenhouses they grow Roses in with Red Pigment, and it makes the flowers grow 2-3 times bigger. I saw a documentary on it 20 years ago, and the side by side results were astounding. All the Roses were done from Tissue Culture. 1 greenhouse had Red infused in the glass, and the other did not.

Klompen

It’s kind of weird to think this way. Almost like you think if we were able to use the sun indoors it wouldn’t make a difference. Imagine using the sun as your light source as you grew indoors plants. Those plants would undoubtedly be better than the outdoors ones right? When I say use the sun I mean totally control the sun as our personal light source

Oh the sun is a great light source. That isn't the issue. Its just the personal care and intense light that they can get inside that I think makes the big difference. Harvest times can also be an issue because inside you can let the strain go as long as you want basically and outside you may not have that option depending on where you live. The sun has a great spectrum, but so do many artificial light sources. Being that I am not in a legal state though, I haven't really had the opportunity to see cannabis plants inside greenhouses.......

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
Just wanted to chim in real quickly that if you are using repti-glo uvb lights they suck compared to the better UVB bulbs on the market. All tests on those bulbs have shown without the correct glass(Quartz glass) to transmit UVB, very little result will come from these junk bulbs. Want proof? Here you go measuring light output with a meter.

See what Dr Baines has to say.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AUu24MNO2Ho

....and if you are not familiar with her, please google her and please visit her web-site.

She is the top expert on UV and advises Zoos all over the world.

And she does independent testing for Arcadia, Zoo med and Lucky Reptile (german) among many others...

She does NOT endorse any products...

but you can see what ones she presents in her demonstrations.

They only ones worth purchasing are the Zoo med Reptisun UVB 10 and the Best 12% HO UVB bulbs from Arcadia. Arcadia D3+ T-5 46 Inch 54 Watt *12% Desert UVB is right now the best ones to use. They also have Mercury Vapor lamps in 160 watt spot bulbs HO UVB lights.
Any tests done using any other bulbs will show little difference because, "You are not doing it right."

Last here is a picture of UVB lights over a nice little crop. Only thing I will change is the distance between the lights and the plants. Will try and get it as close as possible to the plants.
Pictured is 4 36 watt Reptisun UVB 10 bulbs and 2 96 watt HO 7% UVB bulbs. Not available anymore. At least they are HO Bulbs.

[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/attachment.php?attachmentid=224929&thumb=1]View Image[/url]
[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/attachment.php?attachmentid=224930&thumb=1]View Image[/url]

The first thing she says about the compact is that it's like the D3+ that your seem to be trying to separate it from. She then goes on to measure it wrongly. Stating she can't see the emission Patten. She really doesn't get it at all. She has set this up to find the result she wanted. She knows her favourite has a reflector, and that people use one with a compact, but still goes ahead and takes a worse case scenario measurement that couldn't be recreated in any practical application.

In all my years helping newbies, not once have I seen a lamp hung over a plant vertically without a reflector. Not one person has been this stupid. Leaving her where exactly?

Woman. Know your limits.

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
The first thing she says about the compact is that it's like the D3+ that your seem to be trying to separate it from. She then goes on to measure it wrongly. Stating she can't see the emission Patten. She really doesn't get it at all. She has set this up to find the result she wanted. She knows her favourite has a reflector, and that people use one with a compact, but still goes ahead and takes a worse case scenario measurement that couldn't be recreated in any practical application.

In all my years helping newbies, not once have I seen a lamp hung over a plant vertically without a reflector. Not one person has been this stupid. Leaving her where exactly?

Woman. Know your limits.
Well spoken, ty. :tiphat: