What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

You know your'e old when....

foomar

Luddite
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I'm pretty old but I've never seen one of those...wtf is it?

At 75 I am probably a bit older than most on the forum , things have changed a lot and not always for the better.

They were the original mechanical calculator , the old 1880,s one pictured is cranked by hand to turn a complicated system of cogs , gears and pawls , slower in use than an electronic model but just as accurate.

Noisy in use and needs an hour a week to clean and oil the innards.

The shelf on the left is to take a manual typewriter to record results.

Postwar they were powered by an electric motor and were cheaper , an early model cost as much as a car to buy and comptometrist was a recognised profession.

You can see them and sliderules still in use on early pictures from NASA and Los Alamos , more powerful and reliable than early computers.
I used one in the 60,s in aerospace design till they were scrapped , never thought to save one then but wish I had.

If you can find a manual portable model at a boot fair snap it up , antique of the future and an amazing example of quality engineering , most were thrown away when electronic calculators became available so getting rare and expensive in working order.

Much more fun than an 80k enigma machine and it still does a useful job.

EclipseFour20

aka "Doc"
Veteran
I think many of us old farts probably attended different high schools together....that said, never owned or wore one of those "pocket protectors"--and I was rather fast on the slide rule...lol!

unregistered190

Senior
Veteran
At 75 I am probably a bit older than most on the forum , things have changed a lot and not always for the better.

Wow, Would never have thought I would run across a post from a 75 year old stoner on here....thinking @ 50 I am older than most on the forums. But anyway.......:tiphat: and lets :smoke out:

foomar

Luddite
ICMag Donor
Veteran
They say you are as old as the woman you feel , so that makes me only 52 . . .

The senile dementia could kick in any day now and I,ll probably forget I ever posted here , but being online seems to help keep the brain working for now.

T

tropicannayeah

You know you're old when ......

when you surf youtube for music and 99 times out of 100 you choose to listen to 60's and 70's music and even some early 80's.

Here's a good one.

RB56

Veteran
When you think the attractive checkout girl is into you until she asks if you need help getting your groceries to the car :(

When you realize it's inappropriate to mentally undress women younger than 30 :(

EclipseFour20

aka "Doc"
Veteran
When a biz partner's wife is showing off pictures of her 2 year old, then turns to you and asks, "got any pictures of your grandchildren?"....this happened to me last weekend, lol. Grandchildren....lol, wifey and I decided not to have children....lets just say I laughed so hard it sparked a mini cough/sneeze attack. Too funny!

That said, I don't mind the senior discount$.

hush

Señor Member
Veteran
When you develop a good fist-shake.

grandpa-simpson-shakes-fist-at-cloud1.jpg

T

tropicannayeah

I've noticed lately that when people talk to the oldies and the oldie doesn't answer them, hell, he doesn't even acknowledge the question or them at all..it's like he has "left the room" and that's totally okay with everyone, whether it's a phone booth, a conference table or a family dinner .....being old does have it's advantages at times.

T

tropicannayeah

yes I got sir'ed the other day

I got worse than that for me last year, a young guy asked me how old my grandchild was....I nearly instantly headbutted him into a 2 week coma but held back and said "she is my daughter!" with a forced pleasant smile.

Latest posts

Latest posts